The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Gigli Concert

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: The Gigli Concert Reply with quote

It was back in January 2005 that supersleuth PMEBer Denise Rajauski posted a message about Paul appearing in The Gigli Concert at the Finborough Theatre in April. Wow, Paul in a play with just two other actors--what a treat-- and in a fifty-seat theater, too. Of course, I had to get a copy of Tom Murphy's play to read from amazon.co.uk. At the time I didn't know if Paul would play the washed-up psychotherapist JPW King or his patient known only as the Irish Man. As the time drew nearer, we learned that he'd play King, a down-and-out guy subsisting on vodka and strawberry jam-smeared bread. He'd have long passages to recite, which is pretty good for someone who said he had a hard time remembering his lines for Lie With Me (after watching that film, I felt like I could say Paul's lines). He'd be onstage for almost the entire play as well. This would all be great after his stint as Adam Brant in the Natonal's Mourning Becomes Electra the year before. His character was pivotal to that play but unfortunately got killed off at the beginning of the second act (not too good for Paul oglers).

For a while there would even be a Library connection, since Ms. Bushblower and son Darryl made arrangements to cut short their trip in Scotland and be in London for the play the first weekend in April. But alas they arrived at the theater only to be told that the performance was cancelled because Paul had injured his back. What an awful near-miss! I wasn't there but I could certainly feel the disappointment, as I imagined how I'd feel if I were in Karin's shoes.

I had the first week in April off from work and perhaps could have flitted off to the UK to see a performance. However, I'd taken the week off to visit my mother on her birthday, and I still had to pay for my daughter's May wedding. So, going to London was definitely not in the cards. Instead I wrote the theater to ask if I could perhaps buy a program, since I couldn't attend. Neil McPherson, the Finborough's artistic director, wrote back and said he could e-mail me some stuff. I wrote back thanking him profusely. Anyway, he mailed me a copy of the press release, a rough draft of the program, and six production photos in files big enough to make 8x10 prints from. Needless to say, I was staggered!

The pictures shown below were taken by lighting director Paul Colwell and were also used to make posters from the play for display in the windows of the bar that's under the theater. Ms. Bushblower and son decamped to the bar for a little while, and the bartender gave her one of the posters to take home (admittedly, not the best consolation prize).

If you'd like the original files of the above photos, just e-mail or PM me, and I'll send them to you.

Here's a pic from one of the reviews that Dez posted in the theatre sticky thread:

And these latter come from the arenapal site that Steph Gould found:

]

Neil McPherson said the play might transfer to New York with the same cast (Paul, Catherine Cusack, and Niall Buggy). Unfortunately such a scenario was never meant to be, The play later transferred to the Edinburgh Assemby Rooms with a new cast including Horatio Hornblower's bad guy Wolfe, Lorcan Cranitch (see http://www.edinburghfestivals.co.uk/reviews.cfm?id=1825762005&genre=Theatre).

Here's a link to the Finborough Theatre:
http://www.finboroughtheatre.co.uk/

Karin missed Paul for the Saturday performance she'd arrived for, but the following Monday he was back treading the boards, and some erstwhile Librarians got to see him during the rest of play's April run. Here's a link to former Librarian Suz Macey's post about the play:
http://mcgannutopia.forumup.com/about52-mcgannutopia.html

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Theatre All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: