The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you met Paul?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you met Paul?
Yes
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
No
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 20

Grace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Have you met Paul? Reply with quote

Have you met Paul? If so, when and where? I think there are some people here who have met him that I don't know about.

Also, if you have, how did you react? Were you:
    drool a giddy babbling idiot - talking too much and saying stupid things?
    Shocked a stammering dolt - too stunned to think of anything to say (except a few stupid things)?
    Cool comfortable - perfectly at ease and happy, talking like old friends?
    Embarassed shy and quiet - hardly talking at all?

You may list multiple reactions if applicable. Especially if you had more than one encounter and your reactions were different.

I haven't met Paul. Mad I've met a few other famous people that I admired though, and depending on the personality that they exuded, I've been comfortable/happy or a stammering dolt.

(Look at the new drool icon up there! Yay!)
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met Paul at Galley back in '04. I was one of the people he had 'tea' with. Karin and I had gone to London to watch MBE and missed him. Long story, but he was kind enough to have drinks with us in LA.

I probably looked like an idiot sitting there listening to him talk about his family and growing up. He was just wonderful.

Photoshop resources
Grace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Family and growing up! What did he say??

I don't think I knew you had tea, or that you'd gone with Karin to try to see MBE!
Paulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, as you all know I met him at Galley2004. I waxed slurp-etic on the old EZ Board about it, but I'll be happy to do it again now. I hope nobody minds.

It was a dark and stormy night.

Nah, it was actually a perfectly lovely southern California afternoon. I was standing on a sort of raised outdoor seating area in the hotel lobby in a big group of PMEBers and Hornblower girls, including Em, who I'd just met. I was kind of in the middle of two conversations going on on either side of me and wasn't really participating in either, so it happened I was the only one who saw Paul coming across the parking lot. Shocked

I had PMEBer Judi next to me, and in my head I was calmly turning to her, tapping her on the shoulder and saying, "Judi, look, Paul is coming. Isn't it lovely?" In reality I stood rooted to the spot, I mean, literally I *could not move* and I felt like I had a mouthful of peanut butter. I felt my arm shoot out and I was sort of pawing at Judi and I finally said, "Judi, get your eyeballs back in, here he comes!" She didn't react right away. Stunned probably. Or maybe I only thought I made sense.

By this time, he'd entered and passed directly beneath us on his way to the check in desk. As he walked by, for the first time in my life I felt my knees go all weak, because all of a sudden there he was in person. Like, for real. As he made his way to the desk I finally snapped out of it and grabbed the first warm body, which turned out to be Em, and next thing I knew she and I were crouching in the potted palms lining the platform and peeking through the fronds at him. He was wearing a light blue shirt with the sleeves rolled up, and tailored dress jeans. And the famous wrap-around sunglasses. He had been pulling along his suitcase on wheels and it was propped behind him. Somebody walking by knocked it over. He turned to pick it up, and removed his shades to see who'd done it. Everything's a blur for a few minutes after that.

Next thing I knew, he was walking right by us (we were all standing in the middle of the lobby now). Judi touched his arm, and then it was hugs and how are yas for the people he knew. I stood there trying to look nonchalant. Calm. Cool. Collected. Failing miserably.

At this moment I should point out that Paul sort of half-assed knew of me, because I was supposed to have met him in England for that con that never happened. Lynn Gavigan had told him I was the girl who did the color art for her newsletter and that I wasn't going to be able to afford to come to England, at which time he wrote to her and offered to buy my plane ticket.

But the con was cancelled, no doubt sparing me the embarrassment of Paul forgetting completely to buy my plane ticket, which was a distinct possibility. Confused

In the meantime I get an email inviting me to tea in LA because he missed me in England.

Anyway, I tell all the above only because it sort of relates to what happened next (and to show that Paul is a helluva guy). I was standing there like a bump on a log, and suddenly Judi gestured to me and said, "and this is Denise." Shocked

Whereupon Paul exclaims, "Denise! At last!" in that breathy, McGann voice that goes right to yer warmer body parts. Then, he held out his hand, and I manage to take it. We're gonna shake hands! Aaaaaa!!! I can't believe it! But then he says, "it's so good to see you!" and the next thing I know he envelops me in a big hug. Shocked Surprised Very Happy

And he doesn't let go, but we stand there for a few long moments, and I think, 'damn you'll never get another chance.' So I squeeze him. And he squeezes back. I take the opportunity to smooth my hands over his back, and he plants a kiss on my cheek. Then he squeezes me some more. I notice that his hands are a bit cold,b ut that's okay with me. And his hair smells, not dirty, but like it'll need a shampoo soon-very real and masculine and rumpled smelling. Very sexy.

Then he lets go and I float back to reality. He agrees to pose for a photo with me. He *apologizes* for missing me in England. I get my tongue working again and manage to tell him that my friends have gotten together and paid my way to the LA so I could meet him. He says, "Good friends!" and I surprise myself by telling him that I wouldn't have these people in my life if not for him, and he goes "awwwww" and rests his head on top of mine. I have a flash of worry that I have too much hairspray in which will poke out one of his lovely eyes but thankfully he's wearing the shades again. Flashes go off, and then it's almost over. He talks for a bit to everyone and then moves off. He kisses his fingers and holds them out to all of us and says, "Love ya-and leave ya!"

I go immediately to call my mother, and I get the answering machine, which leads to one of the most disjointed, incoherent, and hysterically funny voice mails of all time.

I managed to not make too much of a fool of myself. The only time I sort of screwed up was at the tea thingie in the cafe. We were seating ourselves, with Paul at the head of the table and I was two seats away. There were a lot of people there who none of us knew who had just wandered in with us and sat themselves down. Paul said something to me, I don't remember what, as we were both lowering ourselves into our chairs. I said, "I hope you're not freaked out by all these people," wherein he leaned very close to my face and said, "Do I look freaked out?"

I mean to reply that he seemed so calm I couldn't say, but because his face was about six inches away from mine and his eyes were so blue, instead I blurt, "It's hard to tell with you!" He stared at me for about two seconds, and then he *did the eyebrow thing just like the end of Hornblower* and said wryly, "very good." He sits down and I immediately realize that he thinks I've taken the micky, saying that he always looks freaked out. But I wasn't! And I don't get a chance to clarify, either. Oo.

That was the only blunder I made with him. I think. Shocked

Anyway, he was a great guy. He's paid to be there and be charming, which is cool and I get it, but you can't fake basic kindness, which he has in abundance. A dollbaby, we'd call him in my neighborhood. I hope everyone gets to meet him at least once.

Denise
Diesel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope Sad ....... Like you Grace everybody seems to get to tha place to be, except us Wink .

Diesel
Aries; we are taught that man most loves and admires the domestic type of woman, this is one of the roaring jokes of history. The breakers of hearts, the queens of romance, the goddesses of a thousand devotees have NOT been cooks.........
Begonia8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad No-I haven't-yet. Crying or Very sad

But I sure would love to meet him! Who wouldn't?

How would I behave? Not 100% sure, but I tend to
be very shy in public with new people-and VERY
self-conscious-and blush at the slightest
provocation! I'm sure I'd manage though, without
embarrassing myself too much! Wink Laughing I hope!

Catherine
Down East

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was Chicago Tardis, 2004.

First saw him after we: (Rollande, Terri/Graycat, Bushblower/Karin and I had returned from a shopping foray and the cab just dropped us off. We were in our coats standing around talking, catching up with the PMBers who were in the lobby on the couches when...in walks Paul through the door. He breezed quickly to where the gals were sitting and "plopped" himself down on one of the couches, slumping back. I just stood there, transfixed, quiet.

Later that night, Friday, we were sitting in the bar. You probably all heard about that night from the ezboard forum. He had joined our large group in the bar, and sat down to talk with folks. People asked him questions and his voice carried very well down to the end of the table where I sat.

Towards the end of his visit with us, I got to speak briefly with him. Karin mentioned that I was writing movie scripts, and he said "Write me a good one!" I blurted out..."I will," or, "you got it." All this was taking place as Estelle took our picture, and my hand was placed on the small of his back, and his arms around Karin and I, and I was really out of it, in disbelief.

Wow, still can't believe it. Now that was an inspiration. It has to be GOOD!

I was kind of tongue tied to be casually talking about scriptwriting (if ever so briefly) with Paul, but it was very kind of him to say what he did, which was pretty cool.

Spoke briefly to him in the autograph line. We talked about his Japanese fans and he mentioned their fan letters and gifts, with compliments.

He's very nice to all that get to meet him.
Rollyb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an interesting first meeting, very informal to say the least. How many actors do you know who just come into the lobby....to use Maddy's description..."breezed in and plopped himself down on the couch" with us.
It was such a casual thing to do than none of us expected something like this.
I'm not sure, but I think it was Lynn Gavigan who invited him at the bar(which was right off the hotel Lobby). We decided to move a few tables and chairs together so that we could sit as a group.
He sat with us for about 1 1/2 hours(I think), so relaxed, just answering questions, telling stories about some of the interesting things that have happened to him during his carrear and getting his picture taken with some of us just before the convention.
We chatted with him only briefly during the autograph line because there were so many people in the lineup.
Rollande Cool
Grace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when he breezed in and plopped down on the couch amidst all of you - I assume he had already met several of you? Hee, he wasn't just plopping down among a group of complete strangers, all women? Very Happy
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
Family and growing up! What did he say??

I don't think I knew you had tea, or that you'd gone with Karin to try to see MBE!

I'm really tired tonight, so I probably won't do justice to the story. Here it goes anyway.

I had just met Karin at the HH con, when we found out that Paul was going to be doing MBE. I had so wanted to see Little Black Book in '03 but had not been able to go. One afternoon Karin and I were kidding around at horatians or the Library about going to London to see him and I said I would join her, so she bought a couple of tickets. At this point I still thought I would not be going, but the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to go. So Karin, my sister and I went to London to see him, and were joined by Jan (mmt) and Kathleen (GushingArmadillo over at horatians). Karin sent some flowers to let him know we had come to see him and wrote him a note and delivered it to the stage door. Unfortunately, Paul did not receive it that night and we ended up standing by the stage door, freezing for a long time.

Everyone back at the Library was very encouraging and were waiting to hear if we had met him, so when we got back to the hotel we posted that we had missed him. But some of our lovely friends (Maddy in particular) emailed Paul's agent to tell him what had happened. Apparently Paul felt really bad and tried to call our hotel, but we had already come back home.

When we found out he had done that, Karin felt bad and emailed Paul's agent back to tell him that we had had a lovely time and in no way he should feel bad about what had happened because we had loved watching him in the play anyway. She also added that we were going to be at Galley the following month, so we might meet him then. Much to Karin's and everyone's surprise, Paul emailed her back and said something like "What about tea?"

When we finally met him in the autograph line at Galley and told him we were the ones that had gone to see him, he made good on his offer to have tea.

I don't remember much about the details of the conversation any more, and it is unfortunate that the accounts of the encounter have been wiped out from the old ezboard, but he talked about his kids and how proud he is of them, about growing up and how they always played the piano. He also talked a little bit about Lie With Me, which he was about to film I believe. Maybe Em, Estelle or Denise remember more than I do.

Anyway, that is how we met Paul.

Photoshop resources
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>So when he breezed in and plopped down on the couch amidst all of you - I assume he had already met several of you?<

He had met some of the PMEB ladies that were already sitting on the couch. I think some (or all) had met him at previous events like the play, Sabina, and Galley 04. Rolly, Terri, Karin and I who had not met him before, had just gotten back from shopping and we had just stopped to talk to the PMEB ladies minutes before he came in.

>Hee, he wasn't just plopping down among a group of complete strangers, all women?<

Well, I can't attest for the fact that it wasn't because they were all women... Wink

The ladies from PMEB were no strangers to Paul. He knew them right off. And he seemed very outgoing, uninhibited and relaxed, just one of the gang. Estelle, I believe showed him some of her photos she had on hand too. He seemed very happy to be visiting Chicago and he was in a very good mood. I think he felt the warm, open, easy going atmosphere of just hanging out talking to folks like any other person. The atmosphere, the vibes were so friendly and warm, like you would imagine....a 1960's folk or rock festival where everyone welcomed each other. He clearly responded to it.
Taralom

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you don't mind me reviving this thread with a clear NO. I've never met him so far which isn't surprising at all regarding the fact that I only know since a few weeks that he even exists. Shocked

But it's interesting to read the experiences of those who've already met him. Very Happy

His witching words, Their tones of bliss, His hand's fond pressure, And ah--his kiss!
Tegan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so here is my "OMG I met Paul story"

Back in 2007 I went on holidays to the UK. I'd pre booked a few theatre tickets one of which was "Elling" This is where the story begins

My cousin and I had great seats near to where the exit was (in the middle) and about 4 rows back

We both were chatting about the play as interval had just began . I saw someone walk out *doubletake* I turn to my cousin and say omg I just saw Paul McGann

Who? she asks

So I decide to go and find him during interval - now I really am a shy person but I was thinking that this was probably my one and only chance to meet him and by luck here he is!

Eventually I spotted Paul and walked over. Apologised for the interruption and said Hi Paul , I've always wanted to meet you. This was the most confident I could be but inside I was freaking out. So Paul gave me his full attention, I asked if he minded signing my program, he was actually relunctant -in his words :I feel like an imposter" because he wasn't in the play but he did sign the back for me. He was praising the cast (Simm, Bower) , the script and how much he would have loved to be in Elling.

I asked for a photo as well which is when my cousin appeared to take it. The embarrasing thing was there was not a lot of room. Here I am with my arm around Paul, he with his arm around me and Karen is backing up to take the shot. Paul whispers "she's going to bump into those people" I say nah she won't . So I got my pic though I look like a grinning idiot who was thinking at the time OMG I've got my arm around Paul McGann and Paul's expression is a bit like "shes going to bump into those people!" lol

Anyway with that I thought my experience would be over but then Paul turns around and starts chatting to me about how long I'd been in London, the weather because it had been cold and overcast despite being late summer and where I was heading next

I think thats when my opinion got even higher of him. What a lovely lovely man , he made my night, was one of the highlights of my holiday (Hey I got to meet John Simm and John Barrowman on that holiday too!)

I'd really like to meet him again one day and try not to blush so much Embarassed

Very fond memories
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: