The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bristol Silents event

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> The Bulletin Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happynikki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:21 am    Post subject: Bristol Silents event Reply with quote

Paul will be reading extracts from Ernest Shackelton's diaries at this showing of the silent film documentary 'South' in Bristol on Sunday 26th September:

http://www.bristolsilents.org.uk/events.php?eventname=BRISTOL-SILENTS-PRESENT:-SOUTH

Tickets are 7 for non-members.

Anyone want to go?
scribble

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for posting this, happynikki Smile

It's great to see Paul's continuing support for Bristol Silents.
Sadly for me, it's yet another missed opportunity to watch Paul perform on stage. Sad *sigh*
Pipi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, would enjoy the chance to embrace a stage performance with Paul. Well, we do have taped performances for never-ending entertainment.

So let's all remain hopeful for Paul to continuously receive increasingly meaningful, successful, and heftier roles.
Tegan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*waiting for report on Bristol silents event*

*whistles*

*checks watch*

Wink
happynikki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! Just got in from a hectic day at work (teaching by the seat of my pants) and now I can finally give you a debrief <ahem> of my trip to Bristol. Apologies for any overt gushiness; I'm still on cloud nine!

The showing of South was just amazing! The musician was one of those disgustingly talented types who can play every instrument known to man, and was sometimes playing two at the same time. The footage of Shackelton's journey to the Antarctic was stunning and surprisingly funny in places.

But enough of that... Paul's excellent reading of Shackelton's lecture notes was just sublime. I was hanging on his every word, trying not to melt in my seat! He has such a beautiful voice, and uses it so well. Someone should persuade him to read more audiobooks!

After the show I determined that I was going to say hello. This was no small task for me, and it took all of my courage to do it, but I'm so very glad I did!

He was standing next to me at the bar <gulp> so I turned to him and thanked him for his involvement with the show. He shook my hand and said he was glad that I'd enjoyed it. He has very soft hands!

There were two old guys who also started chatting to him so we formed a bit of a huddle. He is incredibly knowledgeable about Shackelton, military history, film history....

I think he could tell that I was nervously nodding and smiling as he kept directing comments and questions to me to include me in the conversation. I was shaking all the time we were talking, and whenever I met his gaze I was bowled over by the blueness of his eyes.

We chatted for about half an hour, and when I had to leave to catch a train, he shook my hand again, put his hand on my back <double gulp> and wished me a safe journey!

So yeah. I concluded from the day's adventure that Paul McGann is not only a gentleman and a scholar, but an absolutely top bloke all round!

Very Happy My face is aching from smiling so much all day!
Tegan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brilliant write up. thank you
scribble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, thanks for sharing your experience with us happynikki! Smile I'm glad you found the courage to approach Paul and I'm happy you got to chat with him! I'm so excited for you! Very Happy

So...did you happen to take any photos? Wink
Frigate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an experience! As a lover of all things nautical and historical, I envy you the chance to enjoy all of this with Paul's wonderful voice as a guide. And good for you for taking the opportunity to chat with him afterwards - I've heard he can be quite the charmer!
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the brilliant write-up, happynikki!! I'm glad you had such a fab evening! Did Paul happen to mention his brother Mark appearing as Tom Crean in the 2002 Shackleton film with Kenneth Branagh?

Paul previously remarked in a twitter post that he no longer had any interest in doing audiobooks and added that the remuneration for doing them wasn't what it used to be. I'm sorry that he doesn't want to do them anymore, because he is such a marvelous reader.

Estelle
Pipi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thank you too, happynikki, for letting us in on your special day at the show. so now it's happiernikki Very Happy
happynikki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly am a Happier Nikki! Perhaps even the Happiest Nikki!

Very Happy Like this!
Time Traveller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your excellent report, happynikki! It seems that all fans who ever got the chance to meet Paul in person agree upon the fact that hes incredibly charming and kind. Somehow I start to doubt that this man is real... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> The Bulletin Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: