The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BUTLEY at the Duchess Theatre June 1 through Aug. 27, 2011

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scribble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: BUTLEY at the Duchess Theatre June 1 through Aug. 27, 2011 Reply with quote

From Playbill.com: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/147868-Dominic-West-to-Star-in-New-West-End-Production-of-Simon-Grays-Butley-Opening-in-June

Dominic West to Star in New West End Production of Simon Gray's Butley, Opening in June

By Mark Shenton
20 Feb 2011

Dominic West, last seen on the London stage in Life is a Dream at the Donmar Warehouse but best known for his starring role in the U.S. TV series "The Wire," will play the title role in a new production of Simon Gray's Butley.

It will begin performances at the West End's Duchess Theatre June 1, prior to an official opening June 6, and is booking for a run through Aug. 27.

Prior to London, it will also play an engagement at Brighton's Theatre Royal, running May 25-28. Directed by Lindsay Posner and designed by Peter McKintosh, the cast also includes Penny Downie and Paul McGann.

The play revolves around Ben Butler, a rapier-tongued University lecturer, in a production that press notes state provides a comic assault on the soft underbelly of academia. Butley is having a monumentally bad day -- so bad, he’s making sure everyone else has a worse one. His estranged wife has taken up with the most boring man in London. His beloved protégé has found a new benefactor. And in an unprecedented act of betrayal even the English department's resident failure has a book deal. Butley's trusty arsenal of mischievous irony and gleeful troublemaking have never failed him yet. Might they finally prove to be the weapons of his own tragic self-destruction?

West played the character of Jimmy McNulty in five seasons of HBO's "The Wire" from 2002 to 2008. Other screen credits include "The Devil's Whore," "Centurion" and "300." Theatre credits include The Seagull (Old Vic), As You Like It (West End), The Voysey Inheritance (National), Rock ‘n’ Roll (West End).

Downie, who plays Edna Shaft, was seen in the RSC's Hamlet, playing Gertrude opposite David Tennant, and Penelope in The Penelopiad.

McGann, who plays Reg Nuttall, is best known for his role in "Withnail and I" and as the 8th Doctor in TV's "Doctor Who." His theatre credits include Helen at Shakespeare's Globe and Mourning Becomes Electra at the National.

Posner's directorial credits include West End productions of An Ideal Husband, A View from the Bridge, Fiddler on the Roof, Fool for Love, Oleanna and Death and the Maiden.

To book tickets for the West End run, contact the box office on 0844 412 4659, or visit www.butleylondon.com for more details.

Last edited by scribble on Thu May 19, 2011 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pipi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, Paul once again, on stage! It's As We (You) Like It. Go, get'em Paul.
msandusky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to get tickets for one night. I'll probably see it more than once. I haven't decided if I'll hang out by the stage door...makes me nervous.
scribble

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIDEO: Butley Trailer - Dominic West & Paul McGann
http://youtu.be/0aluMDr9EsM
(posted by: WestEndTheatre)

Last edited by scribble on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
scribble

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELLO my lovelies! ♥
Long time no post from me...please forgive me? Smile
To make amends, I've come with an armful of great photos from Butley. Perhaps you've all seen them before, but I just wanted them posted here as well. Hope you enjoy! Smile xo

Photo credits to: Dan Wooler, @curlyjen (twitter), Elliott Franks, Richard Saker, Roy Tan

scribble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominic West, starring in Butley, meets Neil Sean :

http://youtu.be/pfACymcINNs
(posted by: Showbizhome2)

Paul McGann and Penny Downie are also featured in this interview. Very Happy
scribble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Big Interview: Paul McGann

Paul talks to Official London Theatre's Caroline Bishop about his West End debut in Butley.
scribble

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul McGann chats to Kevin Devine about his latest role in the hit West End show Butley, and life as an Actor.

http://youtu.be/EP-if1Eh19w
msandusky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Butley twice during my recent trip. Even though Paul's only in the play about 20-30 minutes, he is wonderful. They spend the first half of the play talking about Paul's character (Reg Nutall) you expect Butley (Dominic West) to just rip him a new one when he finally does come on. Reg is cool (mostly) and more than a match for Butley.

I went Saturday, July 15 in between the matinee and the evening show to pick up my tickets for the night show. Ran into Paul coming out the stage door. He was so surprised to see me (even tho Annie, Michelle H., and even I had mentioned I was coming--bless him). Big hug and kisses. He asked me to meet him after the night show since he was meeting Susannah for lunch and only had a short time.

I saw the show, then waited out front for Paul. True to his word, he met me and took me to restaurant/bar for drinks and (his) dinner. I think we may have been there 2 hours. Lovely evening. At the end, he drove me back to my hotel.

Ran into him a few more times, spent my last Saturday night with him and Michelle H., shooting the breeze in the bar. Lovely man, very sweet of him to take the time to hang out with me as much as he did. Got to go to a concert with Annie M and their son Joe my last Sunday (July 24). Went backstage, met a lot of folks, including Portishead. Got back to my hotel just in time to pack and wait for the car to take me to the airport.

If you get a chance to see Butley, do it. To quote one critic, Paul is "masterful."
Time Traveller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miracles happen!
Seeing Paul on stage was my big dream for a very long time so I made a trip to the UK mainly because of Butley. Although I'm a very shy person, I decided to try and meet Paul after the show.
Quite unexpectadly I met him before the show too. I was waiting in front of the theatre when Paul suddenly came out of the stage door, and nearly bumped into me. I was so confused I didn't know what to do. I only said "Hello!". He smiled at me in surprise, and replied "Oh, hello!" as he passed by.
After the show I waited for him at the stage door. I don't know how did I manage to actually go to him, and say that I've seen the play and thought it was brilliant. He looked really stunned and touched. I gave him a bottle of red wine, and he didn't believe it was actually for him. He repeatedly thanked me for being kind (!), and gave me a hug and a kiss (!!). He signed a picture I brought, and agreed to take a photo with me. (He put his arm around my waist as he was posing for the photo... *faint*). He also wanted to know my name, and asked me where I was from. He was astonished by the fact that I came all the way to see the play. He apologized that it was raining in London!
My hands were shaking a bit all the time, and I thought he might have noticed. I admitted to him that I was nervous, and apologized for it. He said something like "That's because I'm so scary..." He didn't seem to understand why should anyone be nervous in his presence...
Then he said he was glad to meet me (!), and thanked me again. I said I was grateful I've had the chance to meet him, thanked him too, and we said goodbye.
He was incredibly modest, friendly and kind. He didn't act as a celebrity at all! I have an even deeper respect for him now. (I didn't think it was possible!) He is simply the best.

As for the play: I booked tickets for only one performance, but then I had to see it twice. It was absolutely amazing. Very funny and very serious at the same time. All cast was brilliant. I found myself really caring for all the characters. Penny Downie made me cry. It's been almost two weeks and I still can't stop thinking about it.

I'm happy now but also sad it's over.
Thank you so much Paul! You are making this world a better place.
scribble

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

msandusky and Time Traveller,

I'm SO THRILLED for you both! WOW, what marvelous stories and experiences!
Thank you SO MUCH for sharing them with the rest of us! ♥♥♥
It's almost as if I was there with you! Hahahaha... Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Theatre All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: