The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Friday - At the bar with Paul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> ChicagoTARDIS 2004
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Friday - At the bar with Paul Reply with quote

I was really happy to see this thread was still about 75% intact from the old EZ Board Library. Very Happy Because nearly all of the TARDIS '04 'memoir' threads were wiped out when EZ Board crashed, and we hadn't gotten around to rewriting and restoring them yet, Wink I thought some of these partial threads were worth salvaging--particularly this one, which has a lot of Em and Estelle's great pics on it. I thought it was fun, too, because part of it was posted right from TARDIS on Em's laptop.

This may be a little slow going, because the 'quote' feature no longer works at the EZ Board Library, so I have to quote everyone manually. It'll all get here, eventually, though, I promise! Smile

Friday - At the bar with Paul

(Thread started 11/26/04 8:35 pm)

Miz Em wrote:
Teri snuggling up to Paul

Miz Em wrote:
Me snuggling up to Paul

{EDIT}Isn't this the sweetest pic of Em and Paul? Smile

Miz Em wrote:
Teri vamping it up at the TARDIS

Last edited by Teri on Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:31 am; edited 3 times in total
Teri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rellan wrote:
Lucky devils.

Snuggling. :faint

I love his smile.

rell

P.S. a few wolf whistles for Teri and the TARDIS, too. :laugh

My thumbs have gone weird!--'I', Withnail and I

Akka wrote:
Ohmygawd!:w00 His hand on your shoulders.......:faint
Looking sooo good!

Akka...also green0] Mad

Teri and Em: you were so close to him: do you got the chance to smell a bit??

:paperbag :paperbag :paperbag :paperbag :whistle

Suzanne wrote:
Snuggling! I am so jealous! You lucky, lucky things!:w00

Those are great pics- and Teri, that is the best way to pose in front of the TARDIS!

Suz

"I don't know why, but suddenly I'm falling...I'm hopelessly addicted, helplessly attracted..." - The Corrs

Suzanne wrote:
Snuggling! I am so jealous! You lucky, lucky things!:w00

Those are great pics- and Teri, that is the best way to pose in front of the TARDIS!

Suz

GailPolly wrote:
Love the photos of HIMSELF -- woo hoo!

Have a wonderful time all, wish I was there!!

Post more, more, more when you can please

Gail

Quote:P.S. a few wolf whistles for Teri and the TARDIS, too

StPaulyGirl(Teri) wrote:
About the TARDIS 'pose'...

The cup I'm holding is not a cocktail (dang!), it's the leftovers from the dinner I couldn't eat, because Paul joined us at the table right when my food came, and I couldn't eat! He was sitting right across from me, too, so y'know...food dribble worries and all... But on top of my food in that cup are the rest of the french-fries that Paul had been pilfering off of Em's plate while we were talking with him. But let me tell you how we ran into him...

We and all the PMEBer's were all hanging in the lobby around 4pm Friday non-chalantly waiting for Paul to walk in, and at last around 4:30 he did. We didn't want to be vultures and descend upon him, so we non-chalantly sauntered over to the adjoining exposed bar to grab a bite to eat before the opening ceremonies started. Paul greeted a few PMEBer's, and then went up to his room. But about 20 minutes later he came back down and joined Lynn Gavigan in the bar near us and ordered a Jack Daniels and coke. He saw that some us and some PMEBer's sitting there, and suggested we push all the tables together so he could chat with us a while.

I'm going to continue this in a bit--Em's battery is running low and she needs to recharge her laptop, so stay tuned! Sorry guys! Be back soon...

Teri

halfwelsh wrote:
Love the Pictures! Thank you for sharing! They are absolutely lovely!!!
Teri ~ What a dream come true!

Em ~ You look positively glowing!

What a great experience!:jump :mwah

StPaulyGirl(Teri) wrote:
OK, I'm back...

So we pulled the tables together (Paul helped--is he cute, or what? ), and because the PMEB end was already all inhabited, he ended up on the 'Library' end of the table, so we lucked out.

But before he sat down, he snitched one of Ems' fries, and continued doing so through-out the visit. (This man just cannot stop being adorable, I'm telling you...) I either suggested he get something to eat, or offered some of my quesadilla--can't remember which--but he said his schedule was too 'off' from the time change to eat a meal.

So what did we talk about? He mentioned his son's birthday the day before, and he described how they went to a North African restaurant in Bristol, and his son got to smoke on some sort of a tribal (can't remember the name) herbal pipe filled with something Paul described like 'lemon air freshener', which we all laughed at--but that was kind of exotic. He said his sons were all into the belly dancers more than the food, too...

He then told us about the movies he watched on the plane--'Collateral' with Tom Cruise, which he didn't like. He thinks Tom Cruise appears to be acting too much. The other one was 'Anchorman' with Will Ferrell, which he said made him howl! Now I've got to see it... He also said he's got some film in the works with no written dialogue, very improvisational, and Akka--he's supposed to wear his own clothes in it! Somehow he got to talking to Magda about being from Poland, and when they were done, I pointed out that Magda had designed the shirts (which she was wearing), and he said, 'Can I have one? I can wear it in the film!' We all laughed, and he said what a crack up that would be that this character he's playing would be a 'Who' fan!

Someone asked him about his 'con epiphany', and he said that part of it must that he's 'maturing'. In relation to that, he told us a little story about some critic who panned him a little in 'Lie With Me' maybe, recently? And he admitted he was a little 'wounded' by it, even though they always say you shouldn't listen to the critics. But he was ready to really go after her on some talk show, but in the end behaved himself, and the only reason he could think why, is that he's matured. Awwwwww...

Then someone asked for a picture with him, which set off a wave of picture taking, which is where Em's and my picture are from. Karin and Maddy and Amanda and Magda took some with him, too, but not off of Em's camera--so that's why they aren't up yet. Could be after the con before you see everyone's. He was his usual sweet accomodating self letting us all get in there for pics.

Then we talked a little bit more, and someone said it was almost time for the opening ceremonies (I think he would've sat there all night and talked if not for having to appear on stage!), and we all went and took our seats.

He looks so beautiful, doesn't he? Do you love his little 'kerchief' in his pocket? Yes--whoever said 'Englishman in Chicago' hit it right on the head! (I'm not used to 'going back' on a laptop). It's like he knows how much all that tweedy stuff turns us all on! What's funny about the scarf, too, is that we've all been commenting how overly 'warm' the hotel is (it's roasting in this place!!), and he looked so bundled up in his suit and scarf. But he seemed perfectly comfortable.

He's a doll you guys. He's just the nicest guy--a real sweetheart. So now we're waiting for his first panel at 3:30, and then his first authograph session. Oh! We had a party last night in a suite, and hoped he'd come to give him all his gifts, but he chose to hang out in the bar with all the BF people, which is fine--he was extremely generous to us sitting with us in the bar. We are having another party tonight, and hope he'll come. We'd like to give him the stuff in that kind of a setting, rather than the rushed autograph lines. But we'll see how it goes.

That's it for now! More to follow...

Teri

Suzanne wrote:
Teri, I am so happy for you all!:jump

Could Paul actually be any more of a darling? :wub

Suz

Akka wrote:
Our Paul, beauty and lovely as ever! Thanks for your report Teri, but donīt leave us, bring us more, pleeeaseee!:whip :mwah :mwah :mwah
Akka:faint

DIY Sheep wrote:
Of course he helped. He may be the object of desire, but he is still a boy - and they have a duty to help with the heavy stuff.

Lady Draco2004 wrote:
Quote:But on top of my food in that cup are the rest of the french-fries that Paul had been pilfering off of Em's plate while we were talking with him.

What a cheeky beggar! I bet you loved THAT didn't you Em? :jump

That was so nice of him to come and talk to you for ages! it sounds like you guys had a ripper of a time with him...hope you haven't all exhausted him yet! :lol

Mel

StormsDaughter wrote:
You lucky, lucky people!

Suzanne wrote:
Quote:He may be the object of desire, but he is still a boy - and they have a duty to help with the heavy stuff.

Oh, I know a couple who'll quite happily stand and watch the women struggle!

Bravo Paul for being a gentleman - but then would we have expected anything else?:wub

Suz

knights and knaves wrote:
Oh, I did see that!

Estelle, her son Mark and I were at one side of the table that first night, and he asked so politely...I think, but I may be wrong because I couldn't hear there was so much sound all around, "May I?" and gingerly reached over and took a fry or two from her plate.

It just blew me away!

Can you imagine?

How cool is that!

And who could eat after that?

While in the bar, at the table I asked Emily, (because it was easier to do it that way, than for me being soft spoken and have to shout across) to ask Paul if he would like to do a musical feature film and he said he would, and looked enthusiastic about the thought of doing such a thing. That pleased me.

Yes, he looked so gentlemanly, as well as charming and lovable in his scarf and grey suit. I loved his hair!

He was so relaxed and enjoying himself with everyone. He was absolutely at ease about being there. It was an amazing night.

Akka wrote:
Quote:And who could eat after that?

Especially from that plate... which was touched by his fingers...:paperbag :snog

Miz Em wrote:
Well, I didn't have any problems eating. Sorry. Smile I've met the man before and food was more important at the time. It was fun to be providing Paul with French fries though. Aiding and abetting, as it were!

And I didn't have any problems having a conversation with the man this time around. I promise I'll write it all up. I'm just in the middle of getting everything together to turn in my laptop. I'm changing jobs.

Em

StPaulyGirl(Teri) wrote:
Quote:Teri and Em: you were so close to him: do you got the chance to smell a bit??

Akka--I honestly tried twice to answer this while at the con, but the first time I ran out of time, and the second time was when Jason came and asked to have a picture with us (we were in the bar area), and I was in the middle of an answer--but Em's laptop secured when I went to take the pic. We were due at another panel, and there wasn't enough time for her to sign back on and get back to it, darn it!

So! At last--your answer!! Well, as Karin said on her thread, we pretty much decided he didn't wear any cologne at all--at least at TARDIS he didn't. He just smells clean, and freshly showered all the time. He also has sweet breath--which several of us know from kissing him on the lips! I'm sure if you could get your nose in his hair, it would smell like whatever shampoo he uses, but none of us were quite able to do that!

I'm not really fond of cologne on men, but as I said to Karin--the American in me fantasizes that he'd smell like some wonderfully manly English soap or something... He's very well groomed though, and obviously takes very good care of himself--and actually, I (and many men, I think) find it sexier when you are only able to detect a 'scent' within extremely close, prolonged contact. I'm sure there'd be something there, if you could just get in behind his ears, in that mass of curls somewhere...

He's heaven, scent or not.

Teri

Suzanne wrote:
Quote:I'm sure there'd be something there, if you could just get in behind his ears, in that mass of curls somewhere...

Oh my God, Teri...if only! :faint :faint :faint

I think I'll be on the floor for a while now!

Suz

Akka wrote:
Thank you Teri for the smelling report :paperbag .
Teri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estellemayhem wrote:
Thank you for describing the conversation with Paul, you guys. I was sitting at the other end of the table and mainly spent the time admiring from afar. Finally, Mona and I moved our chairs in closer so we could hear more. I caught his bit about the Dogme movie in Kent, the nasty TV critic he wanted to rail at, how much he liked Poland, and how he lacerated his head during the filming of Streets of Yesterday. He also seemed to like it when I suggested that he could play a villain in the new Who TV series.

Here are some of my pictures from the bar:

Here's a good one with Lynn Gavigan:

An offsides view of Teri and Paul:

estellemayhem wrote:
PMEBer Cathy Wesselmann and I decided to ask Paul to pose for a pic with us, and Mark said he could take the picture. My son said he was sorry he couldn't get a pic of me and Paul hugging, which my kiddo said was cute. When I introduced Mark to Paul as my "baby--the youngest of five," Paul gave me this cute aw-shucks look and shook hands with my sonny boy.

Maddy and Paul (Karin had told Paul that Maddy wanted to write Paul a script just before
these pics were taken--to which Paul whispered in Maddy's ear, 'Write me a good one.'
I think she's in the process of a meltdown there--but she hides it rather well, don't you think? Wink )

Alright, who ordered Paul a double?? Shocked
(Actually, I think he's just high on Maddy's 'aura'... Wink )

estellemayhem wrote:
I should have taken a picture of Mark with Paul because the height difference would have amused my husband who occasionally points out to me that Paul is short. Judi Grant thought that Paul really looked short in the gray suit he was wearing, but he's a smallish guy (still taller than me though).

estellemayhem wrote:
All in all, I think Paul enjoyed basking in the adulation of his female fans at the bar.

Estelle

Last edited by Teri on Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:03 am; edited 3 times in total
Teri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akka wrote:
Ahh again more pics, i love to watch pics and you all are looking so great and lucky°!:yes

StPaulyGirl wrote:
Estelle, we missed you woman!!!

Your pics are just beautiful! You have a knack for capturing Paul at his most handsome, I think. You should be his personal photographer/portraitist!

I love the one with me--not just because it's with 'me' (well maybe just a little...), but he looks so incredibly beautiful there! Love that profile... *SIGHHH*

They're all nice--look at you and Cathy there with Paul! You look so confident and sassy there, Estelle! Very cute. And Maddy and Karin's are so, so nice, too, the first one especially--you girls have to frame that one, definitely a keeper!!

Btw, I can't remember what that piece of paper in Paul's hand was about--can anyone tell me again? And what was he signing with the red marker?

Thanks Estelle! I can't wait to see all of your panel session pics, too!

Teri

miss silly wrote:
Thanks, these are great! I really feel as if I have been there.
You look al great on those photo's :smile2
Teri, you and Paul look both beautifull there, you look close together, just like you are sharing something, like a joke or something else pleasant.
Thanks again Estelle :hug

Sylvia

koratgirl wrote:
Wonderful pics Estelle! Teri, you and Paul look damn good together! :throb If I didnt know better and I came across that photo I would have said, "Wow what a great looking couple, betchya they have beautiful children. " :wink

ltgusher wrote:
They do look like a couple there, don't they, posing for the journalists at some shindig! It is a lovely shot that Estelle caught, sideways like that, catching both their profiles.

Teri and Paulie sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g!!! Giggle!

So, ummmmm, Teri, what would your children look like?
That's something for you to ponder, huh? :blink

:naughty

LG

Beautiful pictures, Estelle.
Thank you for taking them.
I'm sooooo very grateful.
That's just made my day.

I want to lighten photoshop some of them, and will get back to you.

I had one glass of wine before that pic, ONE! That's all it takes. The wine was good too. I look all flushed, which I was...! Perhaps Paul drunk? Hee hee.

Paul looks great, Karin looks great...

He was so happy that night...

Love the one with Estelle and another great Teri and Paul pic...

Wonderful, wonderful!

ltgusher wrote:
I think we all were very happy that night! :gath
We were feeling the love, and it was a wonderful evening!!!

I'm just so tickled about our pics with Paul, Maddy!!!!
And I love what he said to you, about writing him a good one!

Thanks again, Estelle; the pics are great! :hug

Karin

StPaulyGirl wrote:
Quote:So, ummmmm, Teri, what would your children look like? That's something for you to ponder, huh?

Well yeah...but right now I'm just sort of pondering the 'preliminaries'...

estellemayhem wrote:
Quote:I want to lighten photoshop some of them, and will get back to you.

I'll e-mail you the complete files of both pictures, Maddy, and you can adjust them (much better than I can). I'll be printing the pics directly from the camera tonight and will send those on to you and Karin. Smile

I had to work late last night and didn't get a chance to play with pictures. I watched the last bit of the very sad Tennessee Titans/Kansas City Chiefs game--sad, that is, if you were rooting for the Titans. Those guys have had an awful season with lots of injuries to the starting players, including iron man Steve McNair.

Estelle

Take your time, Estelle. It's that time of year, after all.
Not that I'm doing one single thing for Christmas, not one.

Things are about as hectic for me as they can be, between work and getting on planes, buses and trains as if I couldn't stay in one place for more than 4 days at a time. But I'd absolutely love to do color corrections on them. I was hoping you'd let me. I've been color correcting some of the ones here.

Sorry about your Titans. They have their good years and bad years. Look at the Red Sox! Finally a Penant!

Hope you liked the little Dr. Who film. I'm not done with it yet...but it's on the back burner for now.

StPaulyGirl wrote:
Quote:Not that I'm doing one single thing for Christmas, not one.

Oh Maddy, thank you--I feel so much better now! I'm not alone! I am so behind thanks to Chicago, and I just can't seem to get my mind off of it long enough to concentrate on anything! I did finally get out to shop today, though--but I'm only about 1/3 of the way done. Nothing's wrapped yet, and my tree is still only partially decorated!

I just keep telling myself, 'It will get done, it will get done...'

Teri

ltgusher wrote:
I'm thinking about you, Maddy! :hug
Let me know how things are going.

I'm not getting anything much done for Christmas either, more
because of teaching than anything else. I usually always
end up waiting until school's out before doing my shopping, which means last minute.

I tell ya, teaching those little babes demands a lot of your attention, and takes it out of you.

Christmas? What's that? I don't even have the energy to decorate this year!

Luckily, my family is used to it.

LG

estellemayhem wrote:
Quote:I did finally get out to shop today, though--but I'm only about 1/3 of the way done. Nothing's wrapped yet, and my tree is still only partially decorated!

I guess my husband and I have always gone shopping and set the tree up just a few days before Christmas. In fact, when we were first married in Charleston, SC he wanted to put the tree up on Christmas Eve, which is something his family did. However, we had no luck finding a real tree on Christmas Eve in balmy Charleston. We ended up getting a fake one from Sears which we used for the three years we were in residency in Houston. We've used real trees since then and even got to cut our own Christmas trees in Charlottesville, VA.

Estelle

StPaulyGirl wrote:
ESTELLLLLLLE!!!! You were even married in Charleston?? Was it in the spring when Rainbow Row explodes in a floral fantasia of color--and did you ride in all your bridal splendor along the battery in a horse-drawn carriage under the shade of the palmettos in close proximity to the 'wedding present' house???

Please tell me you did, even if you're only kidding!!

Teri

Saw so many Christmas shoppers in NYC this past weekend--right across from Macy's to Penn Station, though I was literally running to catch a train, and missed it anyway. You can really get a lot of fashion tips just seeing how everyone dresses to the nines there.

Hey, I've got plenty of Christmas trees right outside the window, all over the place! Although most of them here are white pines and a few holly bushes. And very cold weather to go with it. I bet Rollande and Terri have some bone chilling temps right now in Canada.

I sent my little instant camera in to be developed. I have no idea what's on it, except Terri and Rollande's Air Canada plane from the airport at O'Hare. Now that was a plane! None of this tiny...we need some ballast, woman--can you move to the back? I love the maple leaf!

See how I've changed the subject? :whistle

Rambling.

StPaulyGirl wrote:
Just a little cross posting, Maddy! I just get all 'ga-ga' whenever Estelle mentions 'Charleston'... *SIGHHHH*

Hey Maddy--I posted you something under the 'Gushatorium' under the 'Other Movies/Scenes you see Paul in' thread--check it out!

Teri

Last edited by Teri on Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! That's it! Surprised

Not as time consuming as I thought. Very Happy
Rollyb

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Chicago Tardis 2005 photos Reply with quote

I found some of these in my Photobucket account.....

I know that I'm missing out on some of the names(& board names) unfortunately so please feel free to let me know who they are....
From left Estelle(emay), Terri(Koratgirl), Emily(Miz Em), Steve Martin, ?,?,on the very right hand side(light blue t-shirt) Magda(Intervain), ?,at the very front, Amanda(Ash27).

The breakfast ladies....
Rollande(Rollyb),Karin(Bushblower), Joanne(Maddy) & Teri(Miss_b_haven)..

Librarian Christmas shopping....
Maddy, Bushblower & Koratgirl!

Checking out the McGann Library on the computer....
I'll have to look for more pics.....
Rollande Cool
Teri

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these, Rollande! Smile

I lost track of these pics, so I'm so glad you put them up! I've now saved them all...

We sure had us some fun, didn't we? Very Happy
Grace

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for posting that stuff, ladies! I had never read that thread! I should check out more of the EZ board.

I wanna meet Paul too!!!! Crying or Very sad
Teri

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me ye shall, Grace. I feel it in my bones. Wink

(And when that day comes, Paul best be dressed like a hockey goalie in a championship game--'cause he ain't gonna know what hit him!! Laughing )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> ChicagoTARDIS 2004 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: