The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jason's Bio, with new information from the man himself..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Gallifrey 2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rollyb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Jason's Bio, with new information from the man himself.. Reply with quote

Jason was gracious enough to answer some questions via email so I could include them in a bio for him. I'm putting the bio from Chicago TARDIS first, then putting his answers to my questions after. I'm going to have to figure out how to put it all together in a finished format, but I figured you'd want to read it as soon as possible. So bear with me.

From the Chicago TARDIS program:
Always keen to be involved in theatre, film and radio, Jason has had a varied career, including acting, writing, journalism and production. He is a director of a number of successful companies including a publishing firm, an internet company, and a direct mail company.

In the early Nineties, he was the Associate Producer for DreamWatch Media (producing successful straight-to-video film dramas), which led to a stint developing new programme ideas with the Sci-Fi Channel (Europe).

In 1996, Jason began Big Finish Productions, which led to developing new audio projects. With his co-producers, he has since produced and/or directed over 160 plays, including the highly successful Dr Who: The new Audio Adventures series, starring original Doctors Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann, and featuring such actors as Sir Derek Jacobi, David Warner, Anthony Stewart Head, Mark Gatiss, Simon Pegg and Matt Lucas. Other series include Dalek Empire, Sarah Jane Smith, Gallifrey, Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Professor Bernice Summerfield, Earthsearch, The Adventures of Luther Arkwright and The Tomorrow People.

Jason recently co-produced with BBCi the unmade 1979 Douglas Adams script Shada, starring Paul McGann, Lalla Ward, James Fox, Andrew Sachs, Susannah Harker, Hanna Gordon and Melvyn Hayes.

In the theatre, Jason has produced theatre productions such as Henry V, and As You Like It at the Pentameters Theatre in London, and Fly Me to the Moon, on tour and at the Edinburgh Festival. He recently produced Snoopy the Musical in the West End of London all to critical acclaim.

His answers to my questions:

When is your birthday and where did you go to school?

My birthday is 1st March 1968. I was born in Winchester (which was the original capital city of England about 1,000 years ago) and went to school at Furze Platt in Maidenhead,
Berkshire. I was at University in Edinburgh, at the Herriot-Watt Univerity studying Economics.

Do you have any brothers or sisters? Nieces or nephews?

Two brothers, both younger. I have 5 nieces, 1 nephew and another niece on the way - my brothers are obviously more industrious than I am Wink

What are the other companies that you own/run?

CFP (a direct mail firm), Big Finish Productions, Big Finish Publishing (part of BF Prod) and I'm a director of CTT (an internet company)

Are you still working 18 hours a day juggling these companies?

Yep - notice what time it is on a Friday night (about midnight London time)

Can you sing?

A bit - I was in a choir at school and sang at the Albert Hall and at St George's Chapel (the chapel in Windsor castle) - these days I sing show tunes in the car (usually with cast members of "Snoopy!")

You had some acting parts, how did you get into acting?

I acted at school and then a man called Gary Russell offered me an acting role playing a drug addict(!) when I was 16 and I've been doing the odd bit here and there ever since. I'm playing a technician in the next Tomorrow People CD (A Living Hell) which I also directed - I get to act scared and everything Smile

Why did you move into the producer role?

Because I was a very bad actor and I still wanted to be involved in productions etc - besides which I'm good with numbers and can script edit pretty well Smile

Did you have any training for that?

Nope - but I have helped out a number of people with a lot more experience than me over the years - and I've picked up a lot from them...

Do you plan to produce or direct movies/tv?

There's a possibility of something on the horizon actually - but I can't talk about it at the moment...

What do you look for in a woman?

A sense of humour and the ability to put up with my weird working habits Smile

Is Furze Platt considered an old English prep school where you wear those uniform blazers? Teri keeps fantasizing you in one of those...

Yep - I wore a blue blazer and a blue and gold tie. I even wore a cap until I was about 10!

Karin wants to know if you like older American brunette women with glasses...

Now that would be telling Wink

Magda wants to know what your work is like in relation to Big Finish. She also wanted to know what aftershave/cologne you wear. She said she couldn't get close enough to you that first night because of it. (She didn't tell me I couldn't tell you that...)

I do the financial side and also some of the creative - although most of the creative on Doctor Who is done by Gary and I work with four other producers. I will have to find that bottle! As I bought it in duty free and had only just started wearing it!!!

What size shirt do you wear?

16 and a half

What kind of sports do you play? Watch, listen or follow in some way?

I support a very bad football team called Leyton Orient - we'll get somewhere someday Sad I've also been doing judo for 30 years - I've won a few tournaments and fought in Europe a few times and had a lot of fun with that side of things - I now teach as I'm a little too old to fight and several injuries have caught up with me.

How does it feel to know that a good number of Paul's fans adore (i.e. are hot for) you? Has Gary really given you a hard time about it?

Very flattered - Paul has the nicest fans Smile Gary has actually been pretty good about it - but I think he needs some more visitors to his shelf or he'll start crying Smile

So there we have it! Don't worry, I have more questions for the interview at Galley.

Oh, and please post something on Gary's shelf. Remember, whatever Jason wants, Jason gets! Wink

Em

Rollande Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Gallifrey 2005 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: