The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carolyn Edwards at Ascension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Ascension 2005
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Carolyn Edwards at Ascension Reply with quote

Carolyn kindly gave me permission to post her account of Ascension,which she initially posted on the pmeb list on November 24, 2005. She was selling her fabulous artwork at the con. Anyway, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Carolyn:

Hi all,

I think the rest of the Librarians are all still recovering from the weekend, so I thought I'd let you know my little thoughts on Ascension.

It was a smaller event than I'd envisaged, only about 50 attendees, but more intimate for that, which I think suited Paul down to the ground. He certainly seemed very relaxed.

Guests and attendees mingled and chatted and enjoyed each others company, and I watched from my stall and smiled. I would have sketched Paul, if he hadn't been constantly on the move. The Librarians came over to say hello, all adorned with big poppies, and it was great to meet them at last. We only had a chance to swap names, but I thought they seemed a nice group of ladies, very polite and restrained around Paul!! Smile

I managed to get over my shyness with him, which was a big step for me. I have to thank Lize for that. Thank you for pushing me forward and getting me talking to him Lize!

I keep taking a peep at the studio photo we had done. While it was being set up, he told me he still can't get used to being photographed, though movie cameras don't bother him at all, while I was trying not to
think about how close he was standing to me, with those blue eyes only inches from my own! It's a trait he shares with the 8th Doctor - he stands very close and gives you all his attention!

Later, he spent over an hour on stage answering questions, and reminiscing quite happily. This was all filmed by Sair, who bid £100 at the auction for his scarf! The Offstage Theatre Group put on a hilarious
take of the Doctor Who movie. Paul was up for doing a cameo in it, but due to a change in scheduling, was whisked off to lunch instead.

I had an interesting chat with Jim Mortimore and mercilessly picked Mike Collins' brains for artwork tips (sorry Mike!). Then I bought Paul a drink in a quiet moment. Much later, while helping to load a dalek into the back of a car, I noticed him trying to scrape a thick layer of ice off his car with his room key. Hoping he didn't think I was stalking him, I lent him some de-icer. He thanked me profusely and drove off into the night.

I hope he'd enjoyed the day.

I don't think I'll want to run away next time I see him.

Over to you ladies. I'd love to know what he thought of your gifts, especially that special birthday card... oh, and I'd love to see the group photo of us all with Paul Smile

Carolyn x
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carolyn added this bit about what Paul thought about her artwork:

I am glad I got over my shyness with Paul. He is still polite and reserved, not as effusive, or as affectionate as some guests I've met, but that's just his way. The last time I had my photo taken with him, it was like standing next to a statue. This time he was softer and more cuddly, and his hips are just the same height as mine!

He hasn't seen the picture of 'Romanza' I've a feeling he wouldn't be too impressed. He doesn't give me the impression of enjoying romanticised images of himself, though I might be wrong. While he was admiring the
'Bearded Doc' print, Lize showed him the 8th Doctor card and he immediately said " Oh, that's not me".

I'm surprised and pleased he liked the Bearded Doc. He said it was a good likeness of him and how he'd like to look, so we suggested he grow a beard! He took a copy of it home with him. I don't think he was
humouring me by doing so Smile He later said he didn't mind me drawing pictures of him. He said some artwork he didn't like, but he liked mine. I'm relieved. Smile I do tend to ask guests these days, if I can, if they do
mind being imortalised all over the place, with no profit to them. Colin Baker doesn't. He says I'm his favourite artist, but then he always says the nicest things!

And just to show them again because I love them so much are:

Bearded Who

and Romanza:

Carolyn did both of the above works for me on "commission" (aren't I posh to be commissioning artists?).

Here's Carolyn's cartoon pic of Paul for a Christmas card:

Tigger as the Eighth Doc:

And a gorgeous picture of Carolyn and Peter Davison from Dimensions 2005:

Somewhere I've seen a pic of Carolyn with Paul from Ascension, but I haven't found it yet.

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those two pictures, the bearded and the guitar playing pics.
So you own the originals, Estelle? Wow!

I'm glad he got to talk to Carolyn, who looks like a lovely, beautiful woman too besides being a talented artist.

>He doesn't give me the impression of enjoying romanticised images of himself, though I might be wrong.<

I think Carolyn is right. I agree with her assessment. I don't think he enjoys that sort of thing much. Who would? Seeing yourself all the time....in order to enjoy it a lot, you'd have to be vain, don't you think? It is an awkward thing, to see your own rendered image from an artist's eyes as well as in photos and movies and love it all. You have to get used to it I suppose.

>While he was admiring the 'Bearded Doc' print, Lize showed him the 8th Doctor card and he immediately said " Oh, that's not me". I'm surprised and pleased he liked the Bearded Doc. He said it was a good likeness of him and how he'd like to look, so we suggested he grow a beard! He took a copy of it home with him. I don't think he was humouring me by doing so.<

I don't think so either, because it's a rather handsome drawing of a handsome man, but regardless of the subject, it's a very good drawing. Quite lovely. I hope maybe someday he tries that bearded look, the way Carolyn has drawn it.

> He later said he didn't mind me drawing pictures of him. He said some artwork he didn't like, but he liked mine.<

Carolyn's drawings are beautiful....very classically rendered. Of course he liked it. It's ART! I guess I'm a traditionalist for traditional portraits.

I also like the Mr Bush drawing that Jo? did for the 2004 birthday card cover that was given to him in Chicago. Very, very nice. She's also an excellent artist of what I'll call, the traditional school. I recall Paul looking at it closely, as if it had really caught his eye because no matter who it was of, it was GOOD ART, and that speaks for itself!

It must be very awkward to get or see: drawings, paintings and other media with your image on it by all kinds of artists in all kinds of media.

I often wondered what he felt about that and he seems to be very gracious whenever he is shown any paticular artists' rendition of himself. He's a gentleman.

I can see where the artist is very much inspired by such a subject but I wondered what the particular subject (Paul) thought of it when he is presented with them.

You know, when you see your own photograph...how do you feel?
Artwork must be something similar--because it's of you. You know?

Paul is always a star when presented with artwork of himself, and the art that I've seen of him, many of the works are quite good. But still....it must be kinda wierd.

Just a thought.
Teri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
Carolyn added this bit about what Paul thought about her artwork:

He hasn't seen the picture of 'Romanza' I've a feeling he wouldn't be too impressed. He doesn't give me the impression of enjoying romanticised images of himself, though I might be wrong.

Oh I don't know, I think he would've really liked that one as well--it's a wonderful likeness, too, and has a very beautiful fantasy element to it, I think. (Carolyn even managed to make the wig look good on him! Wink ) Her work really is incredible. Estelle, was it you that had the desire to see him playing the guitar, or was it someone else who got you going on that?

Here's the drawing Maddy mentioned of Jo's, btw, if anyone's wondering--this one floored me. It's so simple, but it captures Paul's features so well, and also Mr. Bush's essence. And it couldn't have come at a better time--she posted it just as I was desperately trying to think of something to put on the 'title page'. It was the perfect thing, and yes, it really did catch Paul's eye--I wish I would've had more time to explain who it was from, etc., I only hope he might've actually gone back and read some of the stuff in there. :/

I really wish we could get Jo to post her work again. Maybe if it was titled 'Lt. Bush artwork', she'd be willing. Confused

Down East

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that funny, I read Carolyn's words as saying...maybe he would feel self concious seeing himself romantisized like that--getting my mind stuck on the title of the work.

Perhaps he has seen it?

Gosh, it's a gorgeous work, no doubt about it.

I just thought she was wondering if itwould make him feel...self conscious, seeing himself as the Doc with his beautiful hands, the concentration. You know, getting all that attention. But again, he must be used to it.

It's so beautiful and very romantic, that I guess that's what got me thinking about the whole thing of seeing one's self represented in a work of art and so on.

I also love that drawing of the Doc playing the violin. That is fantastic.

I for one, love Carolyn's artwork. She is amazing. No misunderstandings on that.

He probably would have loved it, because again, it's excellent and beautiful...and it's art. You have to love what is good.

Sorry for any misunderstandings. Just wanted to bring up the question of seeing yourself represented in a work of art.

Last edited by Down East on Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just *adore* Carolyn's work, so much that I purchased a print of her Winter Doctor and the Christmas cards to go with it! Romanza is breathtakingly beautiful, I think. I can just *hear* the music, can't you?

As Jo (Black Hound) always says whenever she posts a new Bush portrait on her Live Journal, McGann's face is an artist's dream.

How true from looking at both her's and Carolyn's work!
"Bush put both arms round Hornblower's shoulders and walked with dragging feet... Hornblower was the best man in the world and Bush could announce it by singing 'For He's a Jolly Good Fellow' while lurching along the alleyway. " - Lt. Hornblower
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can hear the music all right.

The Romanza pic makes me think of an 8th Doc beautiful musical and visual dance adventure where the story is set in Barcelona. The Doc, for whatever reason, has to sit in as a guitarist for a flamenco or Spanish Dancer and they play the local clubs and hang out with the luthiers, singers and dancers. And in this episode he would play Flamenco like a Paco de Lucia.

Although he sometimes breaks into the Blues (which the Doc likes), and he'd could sing too....(Hear my Train a-Comin') The acoustic version that Jimmi Hendrix sang, now that would be quite an episode--it only needs a story to go with it!

Well I wait around the train station
Waitiní for that train
Waitiní for the train, yeah
Take me, yeah, from this lonesome place
Well now a whole lotta people put me down a lot Ďa changes
My girl had called me a disgrace

The tears burniní
Tears burniní me
Tears burniní me way down in my heart
Well you know itís too bad, little girl, itís too bad, too bad we have to part

Gonna leave this town, yeah
Gonna leave this town
Gonna make a whole lotta money
Gonna be big, yeah
Gonna be big, yeah
I'm gonna buy this town
I'm gonna buy this town
An' put it all in my shoe
Might even give a piece to you
That's what I'm gonna do,
what I'm gonna do,
what I'm gonna do ---Jimmy Henrix

In the Tardis, from the 8th Doc movie, they showed the Doc's lute and guitar and various musical instruments (in the extras.) With his Henrix-like fingers--it's a gorgeous portrait. Full of stories to be told.
Begonia8

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the sheer beauty of "Romanza"! It's my
absolute favourite picture of Carolyn's and my favourite
picture of the Eighth Doctor. Whenever someone asks
me what my idea of the perfect man looks like-I show
them "Romanza". Instant understanding! That picture is
right by my bed. It's the last thing I see at night and the
first thing I see in the morning!

My favourite thing to do, regarding that picture, is to look at
it whilst listening to "The Very Thought Of You" by Rod Stewart.
I can just imagine being in the console room of the TARDIS with
the Eighth Doctor sitting in his reading chair, with me at his
feet, sitting on the footstool, and him playing and singing that
piece to me. Heaven-it takes my breath away!

Catherine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Ascension 2005 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: