The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible screening of Poppies in Manchester in November

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> The Bulletin Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Possible screening of Poppies in Manchester in November Reply with quote

This bit comes from the Gary Kemp website (see http://www.garykemp.com/news.php):

"Poppies" to be screened in Manchester.

"In the 90th anniversary of the Somme, the Imperial War Museum North, in Manchester, is in negotiation with Barry Bliss to screen his film “Poppies” which stars Paul McGann and Susan Vidler, and includes Gary in a supporting role, as part of its Armistice Commemoration in November 2006. There should be a “Premiere” evening followed by a limited run. See www.poppiesfilm.com for more information on movie. We will be putting up some stills from the movie shortly."

Maybe the US distributor of Poppies will get on the ball. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to e-mail him (Thomas Garvin) at tom@gbllp.com and ask when Americans might get to see this film.

Estelle
Grace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh! Well, Paul will be at the Dimensions conference on Armistice Day itself, I think...? But it would probably be about that same time. I wonder if they would make sure Paul was in attendance at the premiere of the film?

*considers flying over for Dimensions, and Poppies and visiting friends in November, hmm...*

*realizes she's possibly insane but has never met Paul and fears she might never get the chance*

*doesn't want to be a stalker freak weird girl*

*wants to go to the UK in November*

*was already planning to go sometime this year to visit friends*

Gah!! Shocked
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! You won't regret it.

You realize we are the wrong people to try to dissuade you from doing something like that. LOL!!

Photoshop resources
Down East

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see Poppies will get viewed by somebody.

*Sounds sarcastic....

It's appropriate for it to be premiered at the Imperial War Museum.

*Thinks Paul should be in attendance at the Premiere, come what may....

Will have to email about American screenings. I did email the contact at the Poppies site recently, which is no longer direct to Barry Bliss, and told whomever about a pretty good distributer they might want to contact, but didn't hear anything back. At least Barry was pretty nice to everyone that emailed him, at the time. Can't recall if that's the same email addy...

*oh hell, tell him anyway.

*Grace, go visit your friends and at the same time, take the plunge.
You'll have a lot of fun.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
*considers flying over for Dimensions, and Poppies and visiting friends in November, hmm...*

Hey, Grace, I don't know if I'll actually make it, but I do have a pass for the Dimensions con and a ticket to the celebrity dinner. Smile

Quote:
*realizes she's possibly insane but has never met Paul and fears she might never get the chance*

*doesn't want to be a stalker freak weird girl*

*wants to go to the UK in November*

*was already planning to go sometime this year to visit friends*

Gah!! Shocked

I think you should definitely try to go! Attending a sci-fi con or going to Manchester to see Poppies isn't stalkerish behavior. And if you go to Stockton, you can visit with the Utopians. I gather that the friends you'd visit wouldn't be interested in either event.

Estelle
Grace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
Hey, Grace, I don't know if I'll actually make it, but I do have a pass for the Dimensions con and a ticket to the celebrity dinner. Smile

Nooo! But YOU need to use it! How could you already have a pass but not be sure if you'll go?

emay wrote:
I gather that the friends you'd visit wouldn't be interested in either event.

Well probably not for Doctor Who, but perhaps for Poppies. My closest friend Sarah, who I'm primarily going to see, did say Paul was "all right" in Our Mutual Friend, which is high praise coming from her. Very Happy Plus, I imagine Poppies would be cheaper? (Though I have no idea at all! What's a movie premiere like? And what is it like when it's at a war museum? Expensive?) But I don't mind much going alone either. I'm used to it by now, always having weird taste for things that nobody else around me likes (opera, ballet, Shakespeare...) Hmph. But I'm sure she'd at least give me a ride and keep herself amused for the day. Or at least a ride to the train station.

GAH! Listen to me! I'm talking like these are real plans!!
*is nervous*

Thing is... I feel so embarrassed! To go all the way to England to see Paul? Or even to already be in England but go across the country and pay $$ for a sci-fi convention to see an actor? Embarassed I've never been a fangirl sort of girl! I feel embarrassed! Embarassed
Kalymura

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
Thing is... I feel so embarrassed! To go all the way to England to see Paul? Or even to already be in England but go across the country and pay $$ for a sci-fi convention to see an actor? Embarassed I've never been a fangirl sort of girl! I feel embarrassed! Embarassed

Grace! That's me exactly, and I ~live~ in England! I'm wondering whether I can ever truly rationalise driving all the way to Stockton-on-Tees just to a see one actor, given that I know absolutely zilch about Dr. Who Embarassed

Thankfully, Manchester is much, much closer to home.

But then there's that itch which says "how many more chances will there be to meet this guy"? & I'm back to square one!

Just to let you know you're not alone Wink

I figure this one is going to rest on which exact dates in November!
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
How could you already have a pass but not be sure if you'll go?

Late one night I went clickety click on the computer and got a pass from the Dimensions website. I've asked to be off for a week and a half around the dates of Dimensions which would allow me time to do some sightseeing and visit my sister-in-law on the Isle of Man. However, there's still plenty of time between now and November for my tentative plans to get derailed.

Quote:
Plus, I imagine Poppies would be cheaper? (Though I have no idea at all! What's a movie premiere like? And what is it like when it's at a war museum? Expensive?)

Off hand, I would think it would be cheaper to attend the Poppies showing at the War Museum. As for Paul's participation at Dimensions, perhaps he'll do what he did a couple of years ago--attend the festivities for one day only. In 2004 he came on Saturday only. so he could be back in Bristol to celebrate his birthday on Sunday with his family. Maybe this year he'll just come for the Sunday activities.

Quote:

If you go, would your famly deride you? For a long time my husband said the only reason I went to England in 2004 was to see Paul McGann. That's not the whole truth, since I'd long wanted (ten years+) to go there, even when there was a direct American flight from Nashville to London. However, I'll admit the combination of visiting London and seeing Paul in a play seemed like too good a combination to pass up. And things worked out very well that time (but not when I had the idle notion of seeing him in The Gigli Concert last year).

It's your vacation time and your money to use as you wish. As for going across country to see a con, it's 2000 miles between Nashvlle and the Gallifrey con in Los Angeles, and I've done that. Smile

Estelle

Last edited by emay on Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Teri

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention Paul has mentioned in the past that he is very touched when people travel great distances and spend their hard earned money just to see him. He's pretty wowed by it, it seems--and he's also said he comes away from the cons feeling really pumped because of the fans.

You'll be doing him a favor. Wink
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I am probably the wrong people to ask, but here are my .02 for what it's worth.
Back in '03 as everyone was getting ready for the HH con, I was feeling very sad that I would miss what sounded like so much fun. I agonized over the fact that I really wanted to go until I realized that the one person that was preventing me from doing so was me. So I told the hubby I wanted to go, he said "Go for it" and I did and had a ball. There I met Karin. A few weeks after I came back from the con Karin was asking if anyone would join her in London to go see MBE. I jokingly said I would. Like you I was embarrassed and worried about what people would say. The more I thought about it I realized that one works hard year after year, and as long as one does not go deep into debt or neglect job or family, one is deserving of doing something one really wants to do. My family was very enthusiastic and encouraging about my trip (my sister even joined us), but I would have gone even if they hadn't.
Even though we didn't meet Paul in person, I had one of the best times of my life spending time in London with Karin and my sister.
We only live once. And yes, you can take it with you... by living it up.

Photoshop resources
Rollyb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terri and I flew down from Canada(she from southern Ontario and me from Northern Ontario) to see Paul in Chicago at Chicago TARDIS 2004....
Not only did we get to see and meet Paul, but we got to meet Teri, Em, Estelle(whom I had already met at HH2004 in Toronto), Karin, Maddy, Magda and many others........which was a blast!!!
It was a crazy last minute thought to go there, but I don't regret one minute of it....
It's nice to finally meet the friends you've corresponded with in person.
Rollande Cool
Grace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the encouragement, everybody. I still haven't made up my mind, but it's always there in the back of my mind. Well, maybe in the middle fuzzy area of my mind. Cool It's not set in stone, but I'm sort of sort of planning on maybe going in November...

I don't know if my family would deride me, per se, but I would just feel really embarrassed telling them. I dunno. My brothers would actually probably be jealous because they love Doctor Who even more than me, (though I do like it a lot - but not love), but they still think I'm silly to like Paul so much, and they don't know the HALF of how much I love Paul. Very Happy I've never told them about Magnetic Paul or the Valentine or even about emailing a message for Suz to put in the birthday card last year.

Yeah, I guess the only thing stopping me is me, and worrying about what people will think. But at least I do have the excuse of England being my old home-away-from-home, and it's perfectly reasonable to go back every year or so to visit my good friends there. I would have to tell them eventually about Paul, though. I wouldn't be able to keep that a secret. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> The Bulletin Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: