The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I Had You
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: If I Had You Reply with quote

Heather Amos referred to this show at the old Library and sent in this piccy:

Here's a little bit more about it (and it's written by that Forgotten guy Caleb Ransom):

If I Had You Spring 2006, ITV – Drama set in the Peak District and starring Sarah Parish (Cutting It) as PC Sharon Myers who has left the rat race behind and returned home to meet with childhood friends. Within days of arriving in her sleepy village, she finds herself at the forefront of a murder investigation when a body is found in the reservoir. Also stars Poppy Miller as Sharon’s best friend Helen, Paul McGann as Helen’s husband Philip and Mark Benton. Written by Caleb Ranson (whose credits include Distant Shores, Heartless and Diamond Geezer)

[Interesting aside--Sarah Parish is David Tennant's girlfriend.]

Estelle
Grace

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool, I'd forgotten all about this one. And I don't think I realized it was by "my" Caleb Ranson. I feel rather proprietary about him, since I wrote to him that once and he wrote back. Very Happy
Down East

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those little connections.

So it's written by the fellow who wrote Forgotten! Cool. He sure had people talking quite a lot about his "Forgotten" story, which is a good sign.
That's right, Grace...he wrote to you.

Guess it will make the tv circuit over here eventually. Maybe they'll air it on PBS MYSTERY.

I wonder what the run time is.
Akka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is a new movie with him and we must wait for more piccies! Confused Embarassed
Marwood

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about If I Had You until today when I saw this review in Heat magazine. It's on at 9pm Sunday 7th May.

Grace

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh goodie! It sounds all plot-twisty and mind-bendy like Forgotten. I've only seen one other Caleb Ranson movie, Me and Mrs. Jones, and it was completely different - a movie about politics and journalism and some romance, but not the great murder mystery twists that I loved in Forgotten.

So who's going to record it and send it to a bunch of eternally grateful non-Brit Librarians?? Razz Razz Razz

Last edited by Grace on Wed May 03, 2006 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Akka

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Grace, that sounds really good! And on this pic he has THAT face again, or? drool drool drool

Just discovered we have two new emoticons! Idea
Down East

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another---Did he, or didn't he?

It describes her as....TROUBLED, and she'd been away for years.

Romantic intrigue.

Looks like the story will surround a past relationship with Phillip the married man who had been seeing the murder victim.

Will she still be smitten by him when she sees him again?

Was she smitten by him in the first place, or is she just trying to be supportive to her best friend's husband?

Hmmm, she'd been gone a long time. Something drove her away in the first place.
Down East

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If I Had You" is a 1928 song by Ted Shapiro, Jimmy Campbell, and Reg Connelly. The romantic love song has become a mainstream jazz standard, and continues to be performed and used in movie soundtracks into the 21st century.

Notable recordings of "If I Had You" have been made by artists including Una Mae Carlisle, Django Reinhardt, Benny Carter, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Bob Crosby, Roy Eldridge, Judy Garland, Benny Goodman, Stéphane Grappelli, Earl Hines, Diana Krall, Peggy Lee, Dean Martin, Carmen McRae, Les Paul, Oscar Peterson, Pee Wee Russell, Artie Shaw, George Shearing, Dinah Shore, Frank Sinatra, Merle Travis, Rudy Vallee, Dinah Washington, Margaret Whiting, and Joe Williams.

IF I HAD YOU

I could show the world how to smile,
I could be glad all of the while,
I could change the gray skies to blue if I had you.

I could leave the old days behind
Leave all my pals, I'd never mind;
I could start my life a - new if I had you.

Bridge:

I could climb a snow-capped mountain,
Sail the mighty o - cean wide;

I could cross the burning desert
If I had you by my side.

I could be a king, dear, uncrowned,
Humble or poor, rich or renowned
There is nothing I couldn't do if I had you.

The composer: Ted Shapiro (October 31, 1899 - March 26, 1980) was a United States popular music composer, pianist, and sheet music publisher.

Shapiro was born in New York City. He became a Tin Pan Alley songwriter and accompanied notable star vaudeville singers of the day, including Nora Bayes and Eva Tanguay. In 1921 he was hired as accompanist and music director for Sophie Tucker. Shapiro worked with Tucker for the rest of her life, appearing at the piano on stage with her, exchanging banter and wisecracks between songs. Shapiro also wrote a number of songs for Tucker.

Well, I have no idea if this song has anything to do with the title. Maybe it doesn't. We shall see!
Grace

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caleb Ranson must like having song titles as the titles of his stories, like the one other movie I saw by him, Me and Mrs. Jones (which was also the song they danced to in Forgotten.)

Do we know how long this is going to be? Is it a TV movie, or a miniseries?
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
Do we know how long this is going to be? Is it a TV movie, or a miniseries?

I read it's a one-off venture. Here's another picture of Sarah Parish and Paul from the Radio Times website:

Estelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a review from the Sunday Life edition of Belfast Telegraph Digital with not-so-flattering references to Paul (which my esteemed husband would agree with completely):

If I Had You, Tonight, ITV 1, 9pm

BILLED as a psychological thriller, this one-off drama has a distinct advantage in that you get to see the ending tonight.

I have to confess to being a tad tiddled off with the current trend to split a feature-length drama into two parts, shown on consecutive nights.

There are more twists and turns to the plot than an Alistair Campbell spin campaign and the principal character, DI Sharon Myers (Sarah Parish pictured left) certainly has the main qualification for a female TV detective.

Namely, her nerves are as taut as piano wire and she appears to live continuously on the edge of a nervous breakdown.

The basic storyline is that she has sought promotion from Manchester back to the sleepy lakeland town from whence she came.

Her reason for doing so seems to be that she will then be closer to her married lover who has already ended their affair and whose wife is very, very pregnant.

And guess what? Her first case turns out to be the murder of one of her former lover's other mistresses.

But then detective dramas as we know, are full of such serendipitous coincidences.

It's all a load of very entertaining tosh.

And slightly unusual to find the detective in charge of the murder case plagued by obsessive love for the chief suspect whom she then blackmails into resuming their affair.

The only fly in the ointment is the object of her affections, Philip Andrews, as played by Paul McGann.

His character inspires slavish devotion from three women, none of whom are prepared to let go of him. Mr McGann, however, frankly, couldn't inspire enough passion to knock the skin off a rice pudding.

To say that his performance is wooden is like saying that Casanova quite liked women.

The nice thing about this production, though, is the twist in the tail of the tale and the way that the matter is left totally unresolved with the aforementioned Mr McGann looking puzzled and indecisive (one of the limited range of facial expressions, which is thankfully included in his repertoire).

Entertaining.

Anyway, here's the URL to the review, which is at the bottom of the page: http://www.sundaylife.co.uk/features/story.jsp?story=690014. I still wanna see this one (Forgotten may be better though).

Estelle
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm?! Interesting.

Photoshop resources
Marwood

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely forgot about it! Have missed the first 90 minutes. Mad
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another review with lots of spoiler space. Its from the May 8, 2006 Times on Line (see http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,14934-2167731,00.html).

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

One more for the Stupid Department
Last night's TV with Caitlin Moran

Although I’m sure it doesn’t show up on the accounts, it does now seem as if ITV1 has merged all of its many departments — drama, comedy, factual, news, children — into two, simple, easy-to-manage territories: Stupid and Non-Stupid. The Stupid Department is run from a building 15,000 miles high, employing over nine million people, all of whom spend their days watching ITV Play and high- fiving each other for having turned the UK’s leading commercial broadcaster into little more than Babestation. The Non-Stupid department, meanwhile, operates out of a campervan, owned by Melvyn Bragg, parked on Waterloo Bridge, and to which one can gain entry only by muttering: “I remember World in Action.”

If I Had You — the big Sunday night drama — seemed, initially, to have issued from Melvyn’s wagon. The cast-list was Bragg-tastic: Sarah Parish and Paul McGann — the Best McGann, McGann No 1. The dialogue was brisk and real, and the set-up was intriguing — Parish was a copper returning to both her home town and her former lover (McGann, wearing the same black leather coat he wore in Withnail & I). Only blimey, wouldn’t you know it, his current lover was horrifically murdered within half an hour of Parish’s arrival. McGann subsequently looked as guilty as sin, and spent most of his time standing around as pale as a bottle of milk, twitching.

Pleasingly, two-thirds of the way through — during a hot scene that Parish will doubtless have given herself a well-deserved pat on the back for — it became apparent that Parish’s character was actually mental, and had killed McGann’s lover herself, in order to “win” McGann. The shift in both direction and acting was done with a small, subtle gear-change, and aside from one piece of Scooby Doo-ery — where it was deduced that a crime would imminently occur “In the lumber yard!” with absolutely no explanation as to why anyone would ever have guessed that — the Braggites must surely have been chalking up If I Had You as one of their own.

But then, in the last ten minutes, it stumbled and fell into the perennial, treacherous quick-sands of any murder-mystery — a ruinous desire for one final, smug twist in the tail. As it turned out, it was neither McGann nor Parish that had killed the bird — it was actually McGann’s meek pregnant wife whodunnit! This left the audience with just enough time to boggle over how unlikely it was that an eight-months pregnant woman could, in less than 20 minutes, formulate a plan wherein murdering her husband’s current lover with a screwdriver would lead to his former lover, a policewoman, concluding that he was guilty, trying to cover up for him, and putting herself in the position where she, in turn, could also be murdered by the pregnant woman.

Really, the whole thing highlighted just how pointless, as a genre, whodunnits have become. We are long past the age of dramatic innocence. If there’s a murder mystery, we know the murderer is going to be one of the first five people in the cast list. Therefore, as an audience, all we do is keep saying “She did it. Oh no, he definitely did it. Oh no, actually, it was him,” until one of our guesses proves to be correct.

Knowing that we are doing this, scriptwriters have become ever- more determined to outfox us by throwing in the kind of plot-twists that Frank Zappa would suggest. We’re only weeks away from a murder mystery where it turns out that the murderer was a dog, or Prince Edward, or the entirety of humanity for its disconnect to quotidian suffering. Now that would be a bugger of a denouement to direct.

Estelle (these If I Had You reviews came to me via Google Alerts)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Television All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: