The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I Had You
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Down East

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not very flattering reviews. Perhaps they are jealous of McGann? Or perhaps it's just another role where he isn't being challenged as an actor?

Don't know, haven't seen it yet.

Could be another of those roles Paul could do in his sleep.

I'd like to see this film, regardless, though.

I'd like to see him in a role that he really cares a lot about.
Those scripts are far and few between these days.
They don't seem to write them that way. Too many characters.

My take on this whole business is that people are getting bored with all these "thriller" mysteries with the expected twists and turns---the writers are TOLD to try and outfox the viewers. I've seen the script calls, and that's what they ask for. It's getting to the point of....Deux ex machina. Where they'll have to get the supernatural force, or god, or the dog, or the machine to save the day, and solve the crime.

When you watch some of those older movies and tv dramas with their simple plots...it was first and foremost about the people in them, the characters, and the "whoddunit" aspect was secondary to the characters themselves. The acting in those films....ah! You're riveted because you're watching someone that isn't "on the surface." It's because of the characters that we sit and watch in the first place. Well, there are other reasons.... Embarassed

Just the same old writer's gripe:

It comes down to, why should we care about whodunnit or what happens, no matter what the event is, if we don't care about the character? It's empty. But with engaging characters....you want to know what happens, and you might really care about that character. You want to watch his face, his posture, the way he moves his eyes, reacts, or whatever. That's what's worth watching, great acting, great characters an actor can work with. That's what's missing in so many tv dramas and movies today. They don't spend enough time building character, usually because they have too many characters to start with. That's the trend nowadays. You wind up not giving a damn.

You can see that am venting because I want to see If I had you! Wink

Last edited by Down East on Mon May 08, 2006 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
Not very flattering reviews. Perhaps they are jealous of McGann? Or perhaps it's just another role where he isn't being challenged as an actor.

Who knows? His role is certainly reminiscent of Ben/Peter from Forgotten, and the latter may actually be a a better story in terms of character development. And I bet he could do his part in his sleep, although I doubt that he was actually sleepwalking through it.

Busybee Suz has some caps of the show up at the Utopia (see:http://mcgannutopia.forumup.com/viewtopic.php?t=427&mforum=mcgannutopia). Some scenes look like duplicates of the ones in Forgotten, and Paul looks incredibly haggard (to me, anyway) in some shots as well, which likely detracted from his sex appeal for one reviewer. But as Steph said at the PMEB, If I Had You has him in it and, therefore, is worth a look. Smile

I agree that any story first and foremost needs compelling characters that viewers (or readers) care about. Unless, in the case of movies, one is going only for the special effects extravaganza (like the Star Wars prequels--again, this is just my opinion). But even those films are more enjoyable when the characters are more than paper cut-outs.

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the time when he was in the play Gigli, he looked very thin and tired...(a man whose been at sea for too long--that down and out look--maybe?) though I can overlook such things when there's stubble for compensation!

When did he film this? Last summer, wasn't it?

From the pics I was able to see, Question it looks good, lots of Paul, and well worth watching.

What seems to be in order is a good script.

Maybe it's time to back off the comlexity, all those twists and turns and shades of ambiguity and do......a simple love story, or something as simple as....character seeks XYZ goal.

I think today's movies and dramas are getting burdened down by too much complexity in plot. While they're gun ho on that path trying to figure out even more twists and turns, they're getting themselves into into a rut, loosing track of the importance of writing good characters.

And loosing viewer interest.

There's nothing that carries a good story over time like a good character.

Perhaps they will go back to it someday.

*How about, a working man with a gripe!

Yes, Gypo leans towards this.

Last edited by Down East on Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
The time when he was in the play Gigli, he looked very thin, and I guess you could describe it as haggard...(a man whose been at sea for too long--that down and out look--maybe?) though I can overlook such things when there's stubble!

Paul is a thin guy, period. In the Gigli Concert, I thought he looked like he did when he attended ChicagoTARDIS. In the scenes from If I Had You where he's wearing the leather jacket and sitting at the desk, he looks especially careworn. He looks fine in the rest of the caps though. Oh, Suz said she had 200 caps to go through. Haha, I've been wending my way through 400 caps of The Biographer from the DVD that Sarah in Australia sent me (don't worry, I won't be posting that many).

Quote:
When did he film this? Last summer, wasn't it?

Yes, I think so.

Quote:
From the pics I was able to see, Question

Well, they haven't been hidden away yet. Someone commented that Paul is in it from start to finish, which sounds good to me. Smile

Quote:
Perhaps he needs a change of scenery, a whole new take on some character.

I thought he was good in The Possessed, which I managed to record ok yesterday. And when he does the Max Arthur play in Buenos Aires this fall, he'll have a a change of scenery, although he'll likely play another soldier.

Quote:
Different kinds of characters or archtypes....
*How about, a working man with a gripe!

His character Paul in Gypo is a pissed-off, bigoted carpet installer--how's that for a working man?

Quote:
And so on...

And since he plays the drums, how about a movie with a down-and-out musician longing for a comeback? Oops, that was Still Crazy.

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A musician looking for a comeback...yes, now that's a good idea!

I did think Gypo when I wrote that, from what I've heard and read about it, it's exactly that, and why not a few more of them? But maybe as a lead character who, underneath it all, isn't that bad....maybe he has a dog he's nice to or something.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another review by way of The Observer and Andrew Anthony. See http://observer.guardian.co.uk/screen/story/0,,1774149,00.html for the whole article. I've lifted the bit about Paul and If I Had You.

McGann again

Paul McGann, remember him? Hero of Withnail and I and all-round Eighties heartthrob. When he turned up with an iffy dye job in If I Had You, a typical ITV psycho-love-triangle, it seemed as if we'd last seen him when Thatcher was in power. But then you couldn't get away from him. After If I Had You concluded with McGann coming to terms with the news that his wife had murdered his two lovers (a model of tasteful restraint as denouements go in this slot), I turned over to watch a confusing documentary called The Real Jackal (Sky One), about a man who may have been an East German spy. Or not. Something about the narrator sounded familiar. The credits revealed it was McGann. Two nights later I caught Wearside Jack (C4), a depressing little documentary about the alcoholic hoaxer who sidetracked the Yorkshire Ripper investigation. Narrator: McGann. Why all this murder and intrigue? He always seemed such a nice boy.

Dye job???

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>a typical ITV psycho-love-triangle<

These things are getting typical, aren't they?

>Dye job???<

Well, if that's the case, I suggest he go for a lighter, warmer shade with some subtle highlights. Snazz it up. Wink
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw If I Had You last night and feel it's quite drecky, in accordance with its less than charitable reviews. Ah, and I'd harbored high hopes for this tale penned by Caleb Ranson who also wrote Forgotten. At least the characters in the latter simulate real people albeit in interesting and trying circumstances. And the ambiguity of did Ben/Peter actually kill the daughter of Rachel/Carla or didn't he leaves the viewer uncomfortable and wondering, which isn't a bad thing. By comparison, everything is spelled out in block capitals in If I Had You, and the nefarious murderer is a heavily pregnant lady who's near-term (hmm, she doesn't look like Ripley of Alien fame).

DE, you've mentioned that Paul can do some of his roles in his sleep and Dez opines that he seems to be phoning in his roles of late. His If I Had You character Philip Andrews is certainly of this ilk. However, I'm not sure anyone can do much with a part that comes with pick-up lines like, "I think the only reason you came back is because of us" and multiple protestations of his innocence (shades of Golic wailing, "I didn't do it!"). Oh well, I'll still be screencapping this film for the Library.

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say, he can do this part in his sleep, I specifically mean it as a dig at an unchallenging script. A script that's predictable with dialogue such as you described, and doesn't present him the opportunity of bringing a GREAT story, and a great character to life. I had high hopes for it too, considering the scriptwriter wrote Forgotten.
Down East

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the drama last night. So, anything I said up to this point was speculation.

I have to say I enjoyed it.

Embarassed

Re-reading the reviews, I thought this was interesting.

>the UKs leading commercial broadcaster into little more than Babestation. The Non-Stupid department, meanwhile, operates out of a campervan, owned by Melvyn Bragg, parked on Waterloo Bridge.

I find it interesting or just a strange coincedence, personally. Mention of Waterloo Bridge, which I just saw for the first time. Well, maybe there is the possibility of a remake with Paul. Something in the stars going on! But that happens quite a lot, anyhow.

OK, getting back to the review. Of course there will be spoilers!

I liked it.
Paul looked somewhat, tired and weary in many scenes.
The script needed to have more varied emotions.
Everyone was on a major downer--most of the time.
That wears people down.
Mix it up.

One thing was....I believed him innocent of the murder right from the beginning, just because he was their prime suspect, and he really did a good job of convincing me he was innocent of the crime. But I guess that's not good in a mystery drama to know he's innocent, unless he's actually found guilty at the end.

I enjoyed the snogging scenes very much. Though I guess I'm aware they were intentionally put in there for exactly that reason--fan girls.
What was even more personally enjoyable, were pictures of Paul at the "timber yard" gathering chunks of wood for the fire, and scenes that showed him with the topographical map in the timber yard office. Another strange coincedence!

Sara was good as the tough, hard boiled detective with issues.
Her outfits, well most if not all, were probably way too sexy, if she wanted to be taken seriously by her male colleagues. Any woman in that kind of job, among others would get a lot of crude comments, come-ons and talked about by male law enforcement, and not much respect as being capable. It would definately distract others from doing their job.
Though her character, at least in the beginning when she shows up for the job, is shown as a "no bullshit" kind of professional that could, at least on the surface, command leadership--in her attitude, if not how she presented herself to her colleagues.

If this had been a story made the US, I doubt that a fledgling male detective would have snapped to, and brought her a coffee the first day out when she shows up at the murder scene glammed up, unless he thought it would gain him some points scoring in the babe department.

Those polyester skirts were way too but huggingly snug. You just know that any male & female colleagues would have a lot to say about that business. No matter how hard and tough she seemed or whether she was perfectly capable, it's still a contradiction.
Then, she changes her shirt in front of the mild mannered, church going detective, leaving her office door and windows open for the rest of the police station to take a gander...Well, I think it's still pretty provacative in any work situation in today's world to disregard such things. It can distract. That's the reality. Not considered very wise, or professional. But then, we come to find out she's troubled by what happened to her when she was a little girl. So maybe the sexually provacative streak she has is well within the parameters of her character. Though I wonder how she got promoted, if this was how she operated in her former jobs.

Her judgment and leadership were weakened considerably by her disregard in flashing her sexuality around, almost an in your face dare...a "so whaddya you want to make of it!" She was finally compromised by her involvment with Phillip. Too bad, at the beginning, I wanted her to succeed in solving the case and resolving her problems. But when I think back on it, there she was, having an affair right off with a married man, a man who was married to her very good, she thinks, childhood friend. So then, her coworker begins to sidestep her, and leaves her out of the decision making for the remainder of the murder.
It's out of her hands. She should have been fired, or brought up to a review board, right then.

One more thing about her character: for her to have come back to town, while being so friendly and warm and chummy toward her very pregnant childhood friend, whose husband happens to be the man she was having an affair with, and for whom she's still in love with....well, that's pretty low. Really low down. Though in this drama, it's rather underplayed as being unimportant. Her betrayel of her friend, her affair with a married man is probably enough plot-wise to base a drama on, without the murder mystery plot.

But it still is pretty shabby to see her so chummy and concerned for Phillip's wife, while having hot monkey love behind her back. That doesn't work well with me, though it goes on in reality, all the time. I have little respect for people like that. So I wasn't sure if I cared for her concerns anymore.

For a woman to go chasing after a married man, and betraying her friend! But what made it worse, is her re-kindling her friendship with his wife....pretending she cared for her was icky. She made big, big career decisions in returning to the town, just because Phillip was there, and she knew he was married too. That's really effed up. I mean, that's a small town. How did she think she'd get along there? Very ugly stuff.

So, you can see she's a flawed character, right off. I didn't feel too sympathetic for her after we saw she was in love with Phillip, no matter about her troubled childhood. I also didn't care for any of the others either except the mild mannered police officer and the coffee boy. That's probably the thing that weakened this drama. Lead characters that we don't really care for much.

What they needed to do with Phillip's character was make him more likable. Sure we feel sorry for him being set up and accused for something he didn't do. But he's a bad boy. What else can he do to make him likable and for us to care? That's what the writer needed to ask. We have all these women in love with him, and his wife repeatedly tells people how wonderful he is....but we need to see it on screen if that's true, or it's just HER POV, but not real. They needed to show it. In Forgotten, we see good examples of how good he is with the children, and how he cares for his wife--ex: when they dance, and that kitchen scene. In If I Had You, all we see are examples of good sex and that he was concerned for the health of his wife. Not good enough for the likability factor.

Nice kissing scenes, by the way. Finally, Paul fans get to see some good on screen kissing scenes and oh my! Though there's no real romance involved in this story, not really--it's still very worthy in seeing a well executed kiss and kitchen shag. SIGH!

I think it's enough for the time being, and more than we've gotten to see in a long time, but still...a really good SIMPLE, not very complex romantic venture with good kissing scenes in the near future would be very nice. And it would probably go over as being very successful, and make lots of money. We've been innundated by too many dark, shadowy, twisty, complex, ambiguous character stories where nobody is smiling or kissing or falling in love. There's no bad or good guys. Everyone in the script is ambiguous, and there's way too many characters in the dramas, too so you just get to know a bit of each one. So that's what is in order. Something Simple, like an old classic black and white movie, but it still works and holds up in time. Thank you very much.

They did show that Phillip was very concerned and kind and thoughtful to his wife, very close to a kind of love....but in the next moment he's going over to Parish's place and making love to her, and telling her that he still loves her. And it's very likely that if it isn't Parish's character it will be someone else.

I thought the conservative detective had previously harbored a secret love interest for Phillip's wife. When he visited her in the hospital, he seemed to care for her with more than a detective's required concern. But they didn't follow up on it. I also wondered if, in the beginning, he might have had a crush on Parish's character, when he mentioned he knew her in high school, but that she didn't remember him. I felt a little sorry for him there, and was kind of rooting that those two would get together at the end. They never said if he was married or not. I thought he was the most likeable in the drama.

Interesting that the final scenes, the site of the murders take place at the end of a dock, same as in Forgotten. Wink

Why do you suppose, Phillip didn't jump in to save Sharon when she got pushed in the lake? He sees she's alive, though she hit her head she was still splashing around for a while. There's life! He really should have dived in by instinct to save someone, but that would be too much like Forgotten. Even if she wasn't splashing, but floating, he should have done all he could to get her out. That's basic stuff. Was everyone unable to swim? Did hugging his wife take priority? Or, because he thought Sharon had nearly killed his wife, he wasn' t going to save her. I guess that works too.

It's definately worth seeing, as Paul is in many of the scenes and he does a pretty good job---as someone accused of murder and confronting a lover who just shows up. I didn't think his performance was wooden, or call in. Again, the script was a little limiting and needing to follow up on things.

We got to hear a bit of the Lt Bush growl, a few times. Very nice. And he did show a lot of passion and confusion when he became angry with Parish's character when he thinks, she doesn't believe him.

However, the writing towards the end leaves little for him to do in the way of acting or reaction. He watches, waits and listens, goes along. Not great writing, I guess. The last scene between him and his wife. The writer could have had him yell at her, exchange words...say something. He just listens, I suppose he's stunned and wondering about the safety of his baby.

I liked the scenes between Paul and the mild mannered detective, also. When the detective begins to trust and believe him, and Paul's Phillip is very sincere and almost boyish when he describes how he thinks he's being set up by Parish.

Does anyone think he'll call the police? By the last scene when his wife tells him she killed all his lovers, from his non reaction and non response, I was left thinkingy that he'd just let it go---though I'm not really sure why he wouldn't call the police, since he loved Sharon and he's living with a murderer. I though he'd be afraid for his child, and for himself, since his wife is rather...unbalanced. What do you think?

Paul was pretty good, considering the script could have been stronger and gave him some dialouge in the last third. Better than the reviews, IMO.
PiscesSiren

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I Had You on BBC America July 25!

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/movies_specials/if_i_had_you/if_i_had_you.jsp

I'm willing to give it a watch, mostly for Paul.

Robert Frost
Paulgirl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PiscesSiren wrote:
If I Had You on BBC America July 25!

http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/movies_specials/if_i_had_you/if_i_had_you.jsp

I'm willing to give it a watch, mostly for Paul.

God, I love BBC America. They're showing Life on Mars with Philip Glenister as well now.

Here's my take on what's happening with Paul. All of the things he's filmed in the last year or so -which was not a banner year for him personally I gather- are beginning to air. He looks tired, depressed, frustrated, and too damned thin in certain scenes, because he probably was. Anyone over thirty-five can relate when I say that life *stuff* shows in your face when you get to this age and beyond. If you're not sleeping enough or eating enough, it'll show. If you've got a bit of a midlife crisis going on as well, it'll show even more.

I also think he's at a career point where he's beginning to move out of the Romantic Leading Man phase but has not yet progressed to Respected Character Actor Who Is Also Quite Hot. I thought this was very evident in Sea of Souls, where he was gamely paired with an actress who was way too young for him to make their supposed love story believable (even though I thought he looked reallllllllly good).

The industry doesn't know what to do with him yet. *this* is why I keep harping on my opinion that he needs to do a series. Not a guest shot, not a blink-and-you-miss-him-needed-a-paycheck shot, and NOT a fourth lead, which is shocking for an actor of his standing in the smallish UK market. He needs to star in something interesting, or even funny-something to put him before the public every week, so that people can sit and think, "yeah, now I remember why I liked him so much."

Just my two cents, being at a life crossroads myself.

Denise
Down East

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>The industry doesn't know what to do with him yet.

They don't, that's for sure.

> *this* is why I keep harping on my opinion that he needs to do a series. Not a guest shot, not a blink-and-you-miss-him-needed-a-paycheck shot, and NOT a fourth lead, which is shocking for an actor of his standing in the smallish UK market.

Tell it, girl!

>He needs to star in something interesting, or even funny-something to put him before the public every week, so that people can sit and think, "yeah, now I remember why I liked him so much."

Something funny would be a nice change. A light romantic comedy, maybe.

Also, it would be good for people outside the UK, who had never seen him before as the young romantic lead--or the Doctor, etc...a totally new beginning. Clean the slate.

Too bad PBS, Public Broadcasting doesn't produce much in the way of drama these days. There's a lot of stories to be told.

Now, an HBO mini series or even one of their original movies (Ken Brannagh was in Warm Springs as FDR) would bring about international exposure. But he might have to practise up on his curse words. LOL!
PiscesSiren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
Now, an HBO mini series or even one of their original movies (Ken Brannagh was in Warm Springs as FDR) would bring about international exposure. But he might have to practise up on his curse words. LOL!

I can totally help him there, I'll have him cursing up a storm within 5 minutes Twisted Evil ! We can all get together and help Paul with his "American accent". Wink Wink

Paulgirl & Down East I think you both hit the "nail on the head" . Paul needs a series, look what "House" has done for Hugh Laurie.

Robert Frost
Paulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:

Look at Jason Isaacs (Paulgirl pauses with hand on heart and sighs dreamily) and his new series for Showtime-that looks like a good 'un, for sure. I'd love to see Paul do a few episodes of a cable show like...Deadwood, maybe? Cursin' Cowboys and all.

BTW, I'd watch anything where Paul swears a lot. I get a cheap thrill out of hearing him say dirty words. Vurt damn near killed me.

Quote:
Paulgirl & Down East I think you both hit the "nail on the head" . Paul needs a series, look what "House" has done for Hugh Laurie.

And whoever thought that goofball from Blackadder would be doing an American drama? *And* proving that he's one helluva actor to boot.

It's been so upsetting to me to see Paul get left by the side of the road so often because I know what he's capable of when he really cares about the material. And besides all the wibbly stuff I have this protective, maternal sort of affection for him after all these years and I want to see him do well in something. Reading that review where it was made to seem that he was a relic from the eighties like big hair and Duran Duran was crappy and horrible. He deserves better that that snarky little piece of fluff-he deserves to be respected.

Denise
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Television All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: