The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If I Had You
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PiscesSiren

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulgirl wrote:
Look at Jason Isaacs (Paulgirl pauses with hand on heart and sighs dreamily) and his new series for Showtime-that looks like a good 'un, for sure. I'd love to see Paul do a few episodes of a cable show like...Deadwood, maybe? Cursin' Cowboys and all.

BTW, I'd watch anything where Paul swears a lot. I get a cheap thrill out of hearing him say dirty words. Vurt damn near killed me.

And whoever thought that goofball from Blackadder would be doing an American drama? *And* proving that he's one helluva actor to boot.

It's been so upsetting to me to see Paul get left by the side of the road so often because I know what he's capable of when he really cares about the material. And besides all the wibbly stuff I have this protective, maternal sort of affection for him after all these years and I want to see him do well in something. Reading that review where it was made to seem that he was a relic from the eighties like big hair and Duran Duran was crappy and horrible. He deserves better that that snarky little piece of fluff-he deserves to be respected. Denise

Sorry to Quote so much Denise, but you've made so many good points.

1. Jason Isaacs looks like he picked a winner of a show that may out Soprano The Sopranos. Oh, and he makes me SIGH too! Paul's agent should be shopping him to the cable networks, that's where the prestige work is now in America.

2. Mental note: find Vurt, need some cheap thrills Wink !

3. Hugh Laurie, dayum he's fine, but I'm still looking at him like he's the Prince Regent, too. But the goofball is winning awards...and stealing Tony Soprano's spotlight.

4. That article was a bit snarky about Paul, but could it be a slight backlash against Paul's "prettiness" when his career was first taking off? I want him to do well too, and I'm willing to "share" him. Truly an underrated actor that should have a much bigger career on both sides of the pond.

Robert Frost
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>It's been so upsetting to me to see Paul get left by the side of the road so often because I know what he's capable of when he really cares about the material.

So true.

>I want to see him do well in something.

So do we all.

>Reading that review where it was made to seem that he was a relic from the eighties ----

There's that stigma associated with former romantic lead--now grown up.

>He deserves better that that snarky little piece of fluff-he deserves to be respected.

Tell it!

I tend to think, the producers/casting in the UK continue to view him with all the stigmas that are associated with the "youthful romantic lead actor grown up--what do we do with him?"--and lets not forget the label that goes with The Doctor!.

I wish they could move on from that. He would probably do very well working in US productions, since most average people here are not familiar with him and his past works. There isn't that baggage to deal with over here.

He'd be hitting the streets and the viewers as a new man: handsome, charming, extremely talented and in command of his craft.
With the right vehicle, he'd WOW everyone.
PiscesSiren

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
I tend to think, the producers/casting in the UK continue to view him with all the stigmas that are associated with the "youthful romantic lead actor grown up--what do we do with him?"--and lets not forget the label that goes with The Doctor!.

I wish they could move on from that. He would probably do very well working in US productions, since most average people here are not familiar with him and his past works. There isn't that baggage to deal with over here.

He'd be hitting the streets and the viewers as a new man: handsome, charming, extremely talented and in command of his craft.
With the right vehicle, he'd WOW everyone.

We are all "WOWED" by him, already, it's just convincing the money men to take a gamble on Paul. Paul has done some indie movies, which is a good step when an actor wants to change their image. Unfortunately, many actors get labeled early in their career and the public/industry won't let them move on.

Robert Frost
Down East

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Paul has done some indie movies, which is a good step when an actor wants to change their image.

I think so too. I've seen a lot of actors who have been doing indie movies getting a lot more work, the movies tend to be better projects as they go along and work their way up.

It really is, unfortunately, like starting over. Only for actors, they call it making a come back, or they used to anyway. Though there's something to be learned in all these experiences, especially the period of time before that happens. Geeze, that's not too much different from the lot of us at the same age going through the same kind of thing--jobwise, because of outsourcing and new technology casting thousands of people aside as if everything they've done before was meaningless because who they are and what they are capabl of--to them, has no value. Starting back at square one, only you're older and more cynical now and a little bruised up. I can relate to that.

Weird. I never thought of it in those terms before, but there it is.
Paulgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, anyway-I saw the commercial for 'If I Had You' while watching Sharpe's Regiment on BBC America the other night, and Paul looked fabulous. Smile

The ad really spotlighted him, and featured him almost exclusively. I only wish they had said his name. But I guess that would have been too much for my poor heart in that two minutes anyhow.

Denise
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a really charitable blurb by Mike Duffy for If I Had You in the Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060725/ENT03/607250310)

BBC'ing it

"If I Had You" (10 p.m., BBC America). Cool whodunit alert. Police detective Sharon Myers (Sarah Parish, "Viva Blackpool") splits from big city police work to return to the pastoral little town where she was raised in this nifty English thriller. But it's a weird homecoming for Detective Myers, a sex-bomb cop with tangled issues. She's suddenly tossed into a murder investigation where the husband (Paul McGann, "Dr. Who") of her childhood best friend (Poppy Miller) seems to be the likely killer. A fun, twisty mash-up of "Body Heat" and "Prime Suspect."
Paulgirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
Here's a really charitable blurb by Mike Duffy for If I Had You in the Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060725/ENT03/607250310)

Well, I think a review of Paul's work in the US will naturally be done without all the preconceived notions about Paul. So there won't be none of the smarmy, *ooooooo, he's gettin' right old* crap that a lot of the (male)UK reviewers seem to be fixated on.

It's weird, almost like jealousy, this pettiness.

I missed the durn film, having been at IKEA until almost 11pm. Freakin' place is like a maze. I expected to be given a bit of cheese at the end for finding my way out.

But I"m DVR-ing it right now for tomorrow morning.

Denise
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paulgirl wrote:
Well, I think a review of Paul's work in the US will naturally be done without all the preconceived notions about Paul. So there won't be none of the smarmy, *ooooooo, he's gettin' right old* crap that a lot of the (male)UK reviewers seem to be fixated on.

Yeah, the male reviewers felt compelled to comment on his perceived lack of sex appeal (he looked fine to me). I liked him a lot in this film but expected more out of the writer of Forgotten. So, yeah I was comparing the two films and not looking too favorably on If I Had You (except for Paul).

Estelle
Saphira

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally watched this last night with a friend, and was curious to see what folks had to say here, so I've spent some time reading (so much to read!) and thinking and here's my input, for what it's worth.

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

I really find myself wondering if I would have liked this more had I not seen Forgotten. I hadn't considered that they might've been written by the same person, but the fact that they were made sense to me, because several times I saw things and thought "Just like Forgotten": primarily the dock scenes at the end, of course, but also the burning letter toward the beginning, finding the necklace that's a key bit of evidence, and probably a few others that have slipped my mind.

Having also seen, and adored, Blackpool, there are certain similarities there, as well--primarily those involving a cop who's investigating a case, gets involved with someone under/near investigation, and is willing to tamper with evidence to get what they want. Interesting to see Sarah Parish playing that particular part, as she was the character who gets involved with David Tennant's police officer in Blackpool (by the way, they're not involved off-screen--David Tennant is dating Sophia Myles--but certainly were hot and heavy onscreen in that series! How lucky is Sarah Parish!!!).

My friend and I actually had a great time being irreverent while watching, because the first time Paul showed up in the leather jacket, we said "Hey, wait, what's he doing in the Ninth Doctor's clothes??" We ended up coming up with side plots relating to Eight stealing Nine's clothing, and how Sharon's fellow detective, who played Clive in the "Rose," was investigating the theft of Nine's clothes. We even decided the photo of Sharon that Helen found in the jacket was a leftover from Blackpool which David Tennant left there during the brief regeneration scene. Yes, we are that silly, but it was a lot of fun. Smile

Speaking of Clive, I mean, the other cop, we also felt that he had to have a thing for Helen, because no one would drop by the hospital with flowers at 4am, and even if for some bizarre reason they did, they'd probably not sleep there for the rest of the night in the visitor chair! But as has been said here before, they didn't go anywhere with it.

When we were discussing the end, though, and what Phillip might or might not have done, we kind of came to the conclusion that he was pretty trapped, especially if the cop was secretly in love with Helen. Had it not been for that, our vote would have been for Phillip to go tell the cops everything after leaving the baby with a trusted third party, while Helen was out shopping or something. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be stuck living with someone capable of multiple murders! (Of course, we also decided that we probably wouldn't have had any sympathy for Phil at all had it not been for the way Paul played him.)

I found myself wondering just why Sharon drowned, too. Yes, the logs floating near her got in her way, but could she just not swim? Or was something else holding her under the water? I agree that he should have tried to save her, unless there was a reason he thought he might drown as well, but at the same time, I can understand being reluctant to save someone you think is a murderer. Or at least being torn and indecisive long enough that the decision is made for you.

When all's said and done, I'm glad I've seen it, but I like Forgotten better, for all the reasons mentioned above.
scribble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "TV's Naughtiest Blunders", two clips.

The first one contains John Barrowman.

But you can skip to 00:38 for Paul's clip. It shows outtakes of PM cracking up and messing up his lines. Very funny Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN3Vc86AflY Smile
A scene with Mark Benton from "If I Had You".
scribble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't watched the youtube video above ↑↑↑, please do! Paul is adorable in the bloopers. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Television All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: