The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GUAB at eBay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> The Bulletin Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: GUAB at eBay Reply with quote

OK, so I cruise eBay every now and then looking for McGanned items. Here's an auction for Give Us a Break on DVD, including what's described as the final feature length episode: http://cgi.ebay.com/Give-Us-A-Break-complete-series_W0QQitemZ9131813954QQcategoryZ41587QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Two copies are available. There were originally three, but I just snagged one. Smile

Estelle
Grace

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you already had it? Weren't you the one who sent me a copy? (I haven't been able to play it yet, because my DVD player doesn't recognize the disc! But one of my tech friends is working on it. But maybe I should just buy one of the ebay copies...!)
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
I thought you already had it? Weren't you the one who sent me a copy? (I haven't been able to play it yet, because my DVD player doesn't recognize the disc! But one of my tech friends is working on it. But maybe I should just buy one of the ebay copies...!)

I didn't know you couldn't play the disk I sent you. I'll burn another version with a different type of disk, which will hopefully work. Were you trying to play it in your computer or DVD player attached to a TV? The disk I sent you worked in my laptop and Phillips player.

I got the eBay copy because I'm hoping it will have a better version of the GUAB movie than I have. An Aussie PMEBer sent me a PAL copy of the movie and warned me that it was bad. The commercial NTSC conversion was certainly poor. But when I finally got to play the original PAL tape in my Samsung multiregion VCR, the picture quality remained crummy.

BTW the disks for sale on eBay are PAL. However, if you get a Phillips DVP642 DVD player, you can easily hack it and make it multiregional. Or do you already have such a player?

Estelle
Grace

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a multiregion player. I don't have a DVD player in my computer though. I was trying to play it in my regular DVD player hooked up to my TV. It's weird, the DVD player just doesn't recognize it as a disc at all. My tech friend who has been working on it says he found a way to copy just the picture with no sound, but he figured that wouldn't be very satisfactory for me! Laughing

He's been working on an episode of Fish that Jenn sent me too. She sent me two Fish discs, and I was able to watch one with no problem but not the other. Weird. Shocked He's also my friend who copied "Shame About the Boy" from record to CD for me, and he made the copies of "Sea of Souls" and "Marple" (which also gave him difficulty) so he knows all about the McGann world now. Cool

So what all is on the GUAB disc? The TV series and a movie special of the same show?
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
I have a multiregion player. I don't have a DVD player in my computer though. I was trying to play it in my regular DVD player hooked up to my TV....My tech friend who has been working on it says he found a way to copy just the picture with no sound, but he figured that wouldn't be very satisfactory for me! Laughing

What kind of DVD player do you have? And, yes, you must have sound (otherwise, you can just look at screencaps).

Quote:
...so he knows all about the McGann world now. Cool

And what does he think about it? Or hasn't he voiced an opinion?

Quote:
So what all is on the GUAB disc? The TV series and a movie special of the same show?

I think so, or at least that's how I interpreted the seller's description. He said he would mail it tomorrow, and the Gypo seller said he just mailed me that disk (but then he's in Australia and is something like a day ahead of me).

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fish Discs that were passed around....only one or two out the six I had were disc recognized. I figure the bad ones weren't finalized in the burning.

The formats for dvd are all funky and it still depends on what one's dvd player will recognize. The newer the burner, the more chance that the older dvd players won't recognize them. Mine, only read DVD-R.

Maybe they edited down the episodes for GUAB into one drama.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
The Fish Discs that were passed around....only one or two out the six I had were disc recognized. I figure the bad ones weren't finalized in the burning.

When I copy DVDs on my computer (using Nero on the laptop and Roxio on the desktop), I don't finalize them, and the disks can play in my Phillips DVD player. I finalize disks when I use the DVD burner attached to the TV though.

I'll convert my Fish tapes to DVD and send some copies to you and Grace.

Estelle
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
When I copy DVDs on my computer (using Nero on the laptop and Roxio on the desktop), I don't finalize them, and the disks can play in my Phillips DVD player. I finalize disks when I use the DVD burner attached to the TV though.

That is because when you copy in your PC, you are already copying a finalized disk. If you try to copy a disk that has not been finalized, the PC will not be able to read it to copy it.

Photoshop resources
Grace

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
What kind of DVD player do you have?

Um... Amphion Mediaworks S99. It was just $30. It's not officially a multiregion player, but I found a code online to make it play any region. (I really wanted a multiregion player so I could get the British Withnail and I with Paul's audio commentary! Very Happy And now part of the reason I want to get a new computer is so I can make screencaps and copy Paul DVDs to share! Not piracy and bootlegging. Just to copy things like GUAB that aren't available for sale.)

emay wrote:
Grace wrote:
...so he knows all about the McGann world now. Cool

And what does he think about it? Or hasn't he voiced an opinion?

Well he's mostly just amused at me for loving the McGanns so much, but he's also sympathetic because he obsesses about his own favorite things in the same way, and gets hugely excited when he finds something rare, and shares it with all his widespread friends. So he understood my excitement when I found "Shame About the Boy" for instance. Laughing But I think Withnail and I is the only thing he's actually watched, and he did like that and bought his own copy. We had a small movie party for people from work, and I made them all watch it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> The Bulletin Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: