The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lost Years
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Gushatorium
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teri

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: The Lost Years Reply with quote

1982-1996

OK people, this has been bugging me without knowing it for years, and it finally surfaced just the other day.

I sometimes have a tendency to wonder randomly about Paul's 'fandom' before I became a fan in 2001 (the 'Paul PM' years, as I call them--or 'pre moi' years Wink ), and it suddenly hit me--the 'fan' backhistory that I and many of us are aware of, only dates back to 1996 with the birth of the PMEB! Surprised

Now according to the IMDb, Paul's acting career started in 1982--more proper in 1983 with the Brit TV series Give Us a Break, and even more properly with the Brit mini-series The Monocled Mutineer in 1986. So you know, there are a good ten+ years of 'mystery wibble' going on in there--do you see what I'm saying?
Shocked

What was going on then--who was doing the wibbling, and where were they doing it, for Bob's sake??

Was it strictly a Brit wibble at the time, which the rest of the world wasn't privy to? (I mean look at Mo, and Percy, and Marwood, and Barry--someone had to be gushing these guys, for Pete's dragon. Confused) These were the years encompassing two of Paul's signature works, as well: Monocled, and Withnail. Hello!!--women somewhere had to be losing it. Surprised Do we chalk the schism up to the advent of the internet, perhaps? Is it just that after Doctor Who we could electronically do our wibbling, ensemble?

There are still some venerable Brit members of the PMEB around, aren't there? What say they about this phenomenon?

Please, someone help me in my ongoing quest for trivial, useless information here! Laughing
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question, Teri. People must have been quietly wibbling to themselves during those pre-internet days. I think there was an official McGann fan club complete with newsletters that predated British Mercury. And yesterday, the PMEB had its tenth anniversary without any fanfare. That list has been somber ever since Paulgirl wrote that her mother had lost her long fight with cancer and had died on May 11. A bright note is that the group collected lots of money to be used for flowers and a donation to Holy Redeemer Hospice Services.

Estelle

Last edited by emay on Mon May 15, 2006 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Down East

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri

As for me, it was from Hornblower where he became known to me. Funny how the A&E Hornblower forum in 1998 was the first internet forum I'd ever joined.

I've heard some fans say that they were Paul McGann fans from early-on, during those LOST YEARS. In those pre-internet days, it had to be an individual kind of fan thing and not a shared community of fans. For all we know, maybe there was a Paul McGann fan club, the kind you write to someone who prints out a brochure and magazine or something and they send you the fan kit in the mail? You have to figure there were Paul fans out there (if not organized) because there were all those magazine covers, photo shoots and articles they did at the same time. And also, they kept him relatively busy making films and tv shows, if not the best films....and he had the reputation as a young romantic lead, too. He must have been pretty well known to the British Isles before Dr. Who.

You know how it was pre 1997-8, if you were a fan of a celebrity or actor, you either shared it with a friend or friends (if that was possible) or kept a secret flame burning and adored that person whenever you could. I guess it depended on the celebrity too. They might have had a big fan club, and lots of fan material you could collect (magazines, posters, records, etc...) And if they were not widely known, you pined away alone, anticipating for a chance glimpse of him in a movie or tv show or a random pic in a magazine. And back then, you didn't have upcoming movie or tv info that let you know months ahead. That's how it was before the internet. In a way, when you think about it, it was kind of sweet---like a story of unrequited love or something.

Pretty interesting stuff.
Begonia8

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first things I saw him in were "The Importance
Of Being Earnest", "Empire Of The Sun", and "The
Three Musketeers". I thought he was pretty cute and
I liked what I saw. So I'd already heard of him by 1996
and was quite happy that he was the Eighth Doctor! But
I didn't know of any fan clubs or anything-so I'm very
grateful for the PMEB, the MGL, Utopia, and the LJ Refugees!

Thanks everyone! It's lovely to finally have the chance
to "PaulGush" to my hearts' content! Wink Very Happy

Catherine Very Happy
Down East

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>so I'm very grateful for the PMEB, the MGL, Utopia, and the LJ Refugees<

I agree Catherine, the more the merrier and each group has something unique to bring to the world of Paul fandom. I like to think of it as Art Appreciation groups, and being able to share the Love.

I had seen Empire of the Sun, Three Muskateers and Alien3 back then, but never noticed Paul since he was on for small roles. Though 3M, he did have a most attention grabbing dual role. I also remember PBS played OMF, before Hornblower was on, and I only caught a scene between Eugene and Lizzie, and my first thought was...why, that gentleman is trying to seduce that poor working girl, putting on the charm. Didn't get to see it till years later.
Teri

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
Good question, Teri. People must have been quietly wibbling to themselves during those pre-internet days.

Yeah I guess, I can't even remember what that was like, though--isn't that funny? Actually, the years I had 'it' for Ioan without internet access--1997-2002--I was a 'quiet wibbler'. I knew absolutely no one who'd ever heard of him. Like Maddy said, I'd first seen him in Titanic, and watched and hoped to come across him again in something. Then when the ads for Hornblower began airing in March of '99, I was elated! Very Happy As my interest grew, I spent a lot of time in the library just looking for books on Wales (he's Welsh), and anything I could find related. I did actually snailmail him, and his mom (she then handled his correspondences) sent me back an autographed picture of him. I thought I would die, I was so happy to have anything 'tangible' related to him!! Surprised

And now look--thanks to the internet, I've actually met Paul in person, have multiple autographs from him, and was even able to give him a gift directly from myself! Surprised Do wonders cease?! But that must've been about how it was for Paul fans back then, too. For some reason, I'd really like to hear from one of them. I'd just like to know what it was like admiring young, shiney Paul back then, the one in those pics we always say, 'Didn't he look just like a Greek god then?' about. Wink

emay wrote:
I think there was an official McGann fan club complete with newsletters that predated British Mercury.

Oh was there? Do you know anyone who was affiliated with that, or knows someone who was?

emay wrote:
And yesterday, the PMEB had its tenth anniversary without any fanfare. That list has been somber ever since Paulgirl wrote that her mother had lost her long fight with cancer and had died on May 11. A bright note is that the group collected lots of money to be used for flowers and a donation to Holy Redeemer Hospice Services.

I saw that. I was very happy to read the donation went so well. Smile

Last edited by Teri on Tue May 16, 2006 12:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
Teri

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catherine wrote:
I thought he was pretty cute and
I liked what I saw. So I'd already heard of him by 1996
and was quite happy that he was the Eighth Doctor!

Catherine, are you in England? Aren't you transplanted from here to there, or vice versa, or something? Shocked

So were you alone in your admiration for Paul in those earlier years? Or if you were in the UK, was there a lot of buzz about him then? Or was he already more of an 'indy' type guy--a Masterpiece Theater, historical drama sort of guy who only those who were 'in the know' were aware of?

What I want to know, is were women all over the UK saying, 'Wasn't Daniel Pascoe just the dreamiest in Dealers the other day??' or 'Did you catch Paul McGann in the 'altogether' last night in The Rainbow? *THUD*'?? You know the kind of thing I mean? Smile

catherine wrote:
But
I didn't know of any fan clubs or anything-so I'm very
grateful for the PMEB, the MGL, Utopia, and the LJ Refugees!

Thanks everyone! It's lovely to finally have the chance
to "PaulGush" to my hearts' content! Wink Very Happy

And we love having you here! Very Happy

It is really nice having a place to 'share' him--and I would think it's a really good thing for him, as well. Buzz is good. I hope he looks kindly upon us, and never thinks, 'Oh, those annoying, giggly women!' Laughing

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally from England, came to NYC for visit in 1995, got
stranded, in the midst of plans to move home to London.
That's it in a very small nutshell.

I was pretty much alone in my Paul interest. I didn't even
there were any fan clubs. I HOPE there were!

Thanks, Teri! I love being here. Very Happy

Catherine
Teri

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
I also remember PBS played OMF, before Hornblower was on, and I only caught a scene between Eugene and Lizzie, and my first thought was...why, that gentleman is trying to seduce that poor working girl, putting on the charm. Didn't get to see it till years later.

Yeah, I sort of had that, too--seeing OMF before HH, as you did. I remember thinking, 'That dirty scoundrel!' Laughing Didn't care for Paul there, then--he almost seemed a little 'oily', in an aristocratic way of course. Wink But then OMF isn't really the sort of thing you see Paul in for the first time and fireworks go off, for some reason--like HH, or Withnail say. Odd, when we all find Eugene so captivating now. I've never heard anyone say, 'I just saw this adaptation of Our Mutual Friend, and OMG--whoever the guy is who played Eugene is so flippin' hot!!' But we all just love Eugene desperately after we've gotten to know Paul's other characters. Why is that, I wonder? Shocked

Last edited by Teri on Tue May 16, 2006 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Grace

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri wrote:
Yeah, I sort of had that, too--seeing OMF before HH, as you did. I remember thinking, 'That dirty scoundrel!' Laughing Didn't care for Paul there, then--he almost seemed a little 'oily', in an aristocratic way of course...But we all just love Eugene desperately after we've gotten to know Paul's other characters. Why is that, I wonder? Shocked

I bet it's because we know now that Paul isn't playing an oily dirty scoundrel, and that he does the right thing in the end. Which is one reason why the first half of Afraid of the Dark is so shocking and weird and just wrong for a Paul fan to watch! Shocked

(I wonder if the casting people knew that - that it would sit so uneasily to have Paul play that character in Afraid of the Dark, and they chose him for it on purpose because of the audience discomfort?)

By the way - I was in love with Ioan Gruffudd in the first several Hornblower episodes, and I was very wary and skeptical of Mr. Bush when he first made his appearance! Cool I thought he was going to be a snooty critic of his inferiors and a kiss-up to his superiors.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri wrote:
emay wrote:
I think there was an official McGann fan club complete with newsletters that predated British Mercury.

Oh was there? Do you know anyone who was affiliated with that, or knows someone who was?

During my recent month-long stint as Alice at the McGann Utopia, I exchanged a couple of PMs with new member Tracy Sutton who told me about a lady that did a newsletter and provided photos of the McGann brothers. But then my alter ego Alice got booted out of Utopia for what's now the fourth and last time for me.

Estelle
Begonia8

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri,

I forgot to say, yes, I have seen Paul in The Rainbow. The
first time I saw it, he scared the hell out of me with that
wine bottle! I couldn't work out exactly WHAT he doing and
some very suspicious ideas were going through my mind.
Then when I realised, I thought, "Thank God! He's only
opening a wine bottle!" I was so relieved! Laughing Laughing I still
blush when I think of that scene and what I was worried about!

Catherine
Teri

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you're not alone, Catherine! Surprised And you know, I always wonder whether or not that wine opening ambiguity was intentional or not by director Ken Russell. Probably so. He was probably hoping to catch innocent people like us with decent moral standards, completely off-guard by suggesting the lewd--and making us feel completely embarrassed and silly for assuming it in the first place! Laughing 'What--it's just a wine bottle!' D'oh! We bad, oops. Mind in the gutter and all that rot. Embarassed

He does like to titillate. Wink
Teri

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
By the way - I was in love with Ioan Gruffudd in the first several Hornblower episodes, and I was very wary and skeptical of Mr. Bush when he first made his appearance! Cool I thought he was going to be a snooty critic of his inferiors and a kiss-up to his superiors.

Ditto. I was a member of ioanonline.org for two years before Mr. Bush stole my heart away in HHII. Surprised I always felt like a cradle robber with Ioan, anyway. Confused At least you're at the 'proper' age for him, Grace! Wink Laughing

Yeah, and I didn't trust Lt. Bush either, at first. As beautiful as he is, Paul has this rather ominous look about him at first in those early scenes. (It's probably what film makers refer to when they define Paul as being 'dangerous'.) But ominous or not, the more I watched those blue eyes... *THUD* It was all over.

I was very relieved when he admitted his alliance with the Lt.'s Hornblower and Kennedy--YAY!! he's one of the good guys! Smile But the initial ambiguity was very alluring, and probably part of the reason there are as many Bushbabes around as there are today! *SIGH*
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catherine wrote:
I forgot to say, yes, I have seen Paul in The Rainbow.

This film would be quite interesting on the big screen. If we could ever get together and have access to a theater, I'd love to see Rainbow in all its glory. I know of a precedent for this sort of thing: The ladies who organized the Toronto 2004 Horatio Hornblower con managed to get use of a theater and showed The Wrong War. The placard outside the theater advertised the 9 am showing of "Horatia Hornblower". Smile

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Gushatorium All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: