The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gypo screencaps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from 2000+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akka wrote:
And another tongue pic:

Cool

Yeah, I couldn't resist this one. Smile

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bravo, Estelle!
Another gorgeously capped set of pics.
From the last set, it looks like Paul doesn't show up except that one last shot in front of the mobile home/trailer.
And yes, you can see the color choices for the three sections.
Blue/grey (cold) for Helen and Paul. Orange/warm for Tasha.

For some reason, I thought Helen and Tasha's Mom get into the romantic relationship, and not Tasha--who seems to be in her early twenties.

I don't suppose Paul's character is redeemed from his bullying and nastiness at the end by saving Tasha and her mother from those baddies?.... No, I didn't think so. Too bad. I guess that would be too Disney-like an ending. But still....it might have made it more marketable in the States. We all love redemption stories. You know what they like over here...ever hopeful for the silver lining, wishing for the good in everyone to rise to the occassion at the end, except from the baddest baddies.

Beautiful job of capping these. Ever thankful.
Down East

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I especially like these.
My favorite is the first one....Lordy! Like a mighty strong cup of Java...
As Strong as Love, and as Darkk as SinTwisted Evil
And the third one. Look at the bones in his hand. The gesture...it's artistic, theatrical, like a Rennaissance sculpture, and very Hamlet-esque.
When I get photoshop back on this computer, I'll see if I can lighten the first one, but maybe nothing can be done. A nice black and white seems to be in order....Any chance of seeing that one in a larger size--high rez? Pweety Pweeze!

emay wrote:

Estelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
Bravo, Estelle!
Another gorgeously capped set of pics.

Thanks, DE!!!

Quote:
From the last set, it looks like Paul doesn't show up except that one last shot in front of the mobile home/trailer.

Earlier in the Tasha story, he gets to glare at her and look askance at his wife who's out of the frame in the last pic:

Quote:
For some reason, I thought Helen and Tasha's Mom get into the romantic relationship, and not Tasha--who seems to be in her early twenties.

I had thought so, too. Tasha is supposed to be 18, the same age as the daughter Kelly, and is the one who hits on Helen.

Quote:
I don't suppose Paul's character is redeemed from his bullying and nastiness at the end by saving Tasha and her mother from those baddies?.... No, I didn't think so.

No, but he does drive Helen to the port so she can try to intercept the ferry. He doesn't do anything to keep Tasha and Irina from being spirited off by their husbands who want to take them back to the Czech Republic. In fact, in these scenes, Paul is watching the abduction:

Quote:
We all love redemption stories. You know what they like over here...ever hopeful for the silver lining, wishing for the good in everyone to rise to the occassion at the end, except from the baddest baddies.

I'm afraid the character Paul, who still elicits a bit of sympathy in the viewer because he's rather pathetic, doesn't become enobled by the end of the movie. His wife wants to leave him, but he tells her that she can stay and he'll go.

The only part that doesn't do it for me is the lesbian relationship, as I explained in a previous entry in this thread.

Quote:
Beautiful job of capping these. Ever thankful.

Thank you again! Magda made some lovely icons with these images and posted them in the download section.

Estelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
When I get photoshop back on this computer, I'll see if I can lighten the first one, but maybe nothing can be done. A nice black and white seems to be in order....Any chance of seeing that one in a larger size--high rez? Pweety Pweeze!

I did lighten the first one a bit. But, yes, I have the original sized caps of these pics and will e-mail them to you.

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>The only part that doesn't do it for me is the lesbian relationship, as I explained in a previous entry in this thread.

Yes, well I suppose, story-wise Jan Dunn had a number of choices. She could of had Paul redeem himself and grow and change a bit as a result of having met and maybe liked Tasha and Irina, seeing their point of view and learned a thing or two about himself in the journey. But I guess they chose to have him stay the same pathetic individual. You know, a "life sucks--deal with it!" or..."People who are nasty don't change much...get off your butt and deal with that one too!" kind of thing. So she has Helen blossoming by way of her contact with the immigrants, and NOT Paul's character. Too bad Helen and Paul couldn't have BOTH have grown as a result. But that's probably not very realistic either...and too hopeful and idealistic.
Still though, it would have been nice.

Saw a kind of fluffy American film the other week. Something like Springtime in Autumn, or something with Richard Gere as a Cassanova type who falls for a young woman with a bad heart condition. She falls for him too. It was set up as a romantic comedy drama. The girl winds up dying at the end after he'd given up his fly by night relationships and he finally decides to commit to someone--a girl with a bad heart! After going through all that they go through to get together and stay together, she dies at the end. Kind of leaves the viewer with the message that hey, that wasn't worth his changing his ways for, or our watching all of this growth, because now he's alone again and broken hearted after losing her Where's the pay-off? I mean, it wasn't supposed to be a great litarary drama or anything--so why not give the viewers a happy ending? I'm not a stickler on having happy endings...but like I said, it was supposed to be lightweight romantic comedy fluff. Maybe they couldn't decide what it was to start with. But they killed off the love interest in the end. A no-no, not to be done in American romantic fluff films, especially a lightweight film of all things. Guess they wanted to do a "love Story" flick. It didn't do well in the box office because I never heard of it before.

Gypo isn't a lightweight film at all, but it's still a standard contract with any viewer or reader to make it worth their while. They expect some kind of pay off at the end, that the journey they travel with those characters was worth their time. Fiction and film drama ISN'T reality, so you can give them a little pay off at the end, if it means a character changes or there's some kind of happy ending. It can be done without going into Disney fairy-tale land too.
Down East

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some Gypo pics in b&w based on Estelle's gorgeous caps.

Taralom

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, so many screencaps, I hardly know where to look first. Wink THANKS. Very Happy

And they make me even more curious about the film. Surprised Eeeek, how shall I survive the next two days until my copy arrives. Confused

His witching words, Their tones of bliss, His hand's fond pressure, And ah--his kiss!
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taralom wrote:
Wow, so many screencaps, I hardly know where to look first. Wink THANKS. Very Happy

And they make me even more curious about the film. Surprised Eeeek, how shall I survive the next two days until my copy arrives. Confused

The caps are sequentially arranged from the beginning to the end of the film and are divided into the three storylines as well.

I like this film a lot even though Paul's character is crude and churlish. Some actors don't like to portray less than heroic characters (and Harrison Ford comes to mind), and I suppose it was brave of Paul to take on this challenge.

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from 2000+ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: