The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gypo screencaps
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from 2000+
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Gypo screencaps Reply with quote

Here are the first batch of caps from the Australian DVD release of Gypo. These come from Helen's story in this three-part drama. She feels trapped in a loveless marriage and wants something better out of life other than continually arguing with her daughter Kelly and helping to raise her granddaughter Jordan.

Of course, there will be more to come. Smile

Estelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At ChicagoTARDIS 2004 Paul said he would be wearing his own clothes for the shooting of Gypo and joked that maybe he could get away with wearing the McGann Library shirt we gave him. Well, he didn't wear the blue t-shirt but donned his favorite black shirt instead. Smile

Estelle
Akka

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

News, news, news! New piccies, a new film, new caps, new storys!
Estelle, thanks so much for capping these excellent caps! Canīt wait to see it, too!

Btw: Embarassed what was the story right now for Gypo? -----hides away**----

Doesnīt he look....great here?

drool
Down East

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akka, Paul looks FANTASTIC! In command, full of expression and depth. It doesn't look like it's one of those he can do in his sleep roles this time.

It looks like the filmmaker brought something unique to the screen, at least from stills, and the expressions on the actor's faces. Interesting.

I read that when Fellini was casting for his movies, he used to bring many people in for an audition and he'd pick out the most interesting looking faces, faces you can't help but be mesmerized by, to see beyond the eyes and read into their souls. Like Julietta Messina (Nights in Cabera, La Strada) They look like real people and not just glamor models.

This film LOOKS very good from the pics and trailer, anyway.

Notice the hands in that bedroom scene, he's got her hands pinned down and her face isn't looking very pleased. Crying or Very sad

It looks gorgeous, gritty, down to earth, full of passion and modern anxiety where people don't know how and where they fit in this increasingly confusing world.

Estelle, you've made my day.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akka wrote:
Canīt wait to see it, too!

It will be soon, Akka, I promise. I'm trying to emulate sotl, who's the very best at distributing goodies. Smile

Quote:
Btw: Embarassed what was the story right now for Gypo? -----hides away**----

You can get an idea of the storyline in the review I posted in the films sections (see http://mcgannlibrary.org/viewtopic.php?t=352). I'd like to write a synopsis and review when I finish seeing the film. I saw parts 1 and 2 on Sunday and started capping it yesterday. For some reason the WinDVD program I'm using for the caps isn't providing audio. I'll have to watch part 3 on TV, so I can hear what's going on.

I'm glad you like the caps. Smile

Estelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
Akka, Paul looks FANTASTIC! In command, full of expression and depth. It doesn't look like it's one of those he can do in his sleep roles this time.

I think he had to work pretty hard in this film. And his next role was in The Gigli Concert where he got to voice JPW King's longwinded speeches. Maybe he's giving his brain a break by doing so many narrations this year.

Quote:
It looks like the filmmaker brought something unique to the screen, at least from stills, and the expressions on the actor's faces. Interesting.

I like the way images of the ocean and sky presage the subsequent action. I think Pauline McLynn looks somewhat affected when she's talking on the phone or bouncing the baby on her knee. However, she seems quite believeable in the bedroom scenes where Paul suddenly heaves himself on top of her and pins her wrists down.

Quote:
Notice the hands in that bedroom scene, he's got her hands pinned down and her face isn't looking very pleased. Crying or Very sad

I thought these scenes epitomized Helen's feeling trapped in her life, as her husband holds her captive while he has his way with her.

Quote:
Estelle, you've made my day.

Cool!

Estelle
Teri

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estelle, these are incredible! Thank you so much for giving us a glimpse of this. You've captured some really interesting looking stuff.

My only complaint--does Paul have to look so distractingly good, all the time?? I know I'll find it hard to hate him all the way in this. (Yeah, I know that stubble's supposed to be a turn-off, but you know how that goes...)

How about you? Are you finding him dispicable enough? Wink

Wow, I'm so excited to see this!

emay wrote:
I like the way images of the ocean and sky presage the subsequent action.

And contrasting with that stark, shadeless, sequestering bulb in their bedroom--it looks more like an interogation room fixture.

You'll have to excuse me, I'm having a 'reading way too much into this' day today. Confused
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teri wrote:
My only complaint--does Paul have to look so distractingly good, all the time?? I know I'll find it hard to hate him all the way in this. (Yeah, I know that stubble's supposed to be a turn-off, but you know how that goes...)

When you hear him, you'll find his character brutish most of the time and oddly sympathetic a few times. The pics that show him grinning come from a scene in which he's disparaging his wife's attempts at drawing and saying they're really sad. BTW I kinda like the stubble. But there's something mournful in the way his hooded eyes look and the way his mouth is drawn up (when he's not spewing tirades, that is).

Quote:
How about you? Are you finding him dispicable enough? Wink

I find his face interesting to look at. But he's certainly not pretty like he was in GUAB, Withnail, or Nice Town.

Estelle
Akka

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estelle, donīt hurry with the DVD! Embarassed

If I would be ...äh..pinned there... I would...*thud* Embarassed

Brutish....distractingly..dispicable....disparaging..... Heaven, what words! Now I MUST use the Babelfish! Rolling Eyes Just to understand only a little whatīs going on here! Embarassed Mad
Teri

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
At ChicagoTARDIS 2004 Paul said he would be wearing his own clothes for the shooting of Gypo and joked that maybe he could get away with wearing the McGann Library shirt we gave him. Well, he didn't wear the blue t-shirt but donned his favorite black shirt instead. Smile

And I was kind of hoping the Harley shirt might make an appearance--along with the three-day stubble, it would've given him the perfect blue-collar edge. Cool

emay wrote:
I find his face interesting to look at. But he's certainly not pretty like he was in GUAB, Withnail, or Nice Town.

No, he isn't, but his face is much more versatile now, with age, isn't it. And IMO far more handsome now with all those added layers of interest. Paul is working in reverse, I think--he is going to be this ninety-five year old stud on the cover of People magazine's 'Most Beautiful' in the year 2054, just you watch. Wink
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akka wrote:
Estelle, donīt hurry with the DVD! Embarassed

I just wanna do better at getting things out.

Quote:
If I would be ...äh..pinned there... I would...*thud* Embarassed

I thought his holding her wrists down was rather creepy. She certainly didn't look like a willing participant.

Quote:
Brutish....distractingly..dispicable....disparaging..... Heaven, what words! Now I MUST use the Babelfish! Rolling Eyes Just to understand only a little whatīs going on here! Embarassed Mad

Sorry, Akka. Paul's character is mean towards his wife and for the most part isn't considerate of her feelings (= dismissive). For instance, when she's looking for a little compliment about her drawing, he tells her it's no good (= disparaging), and she gets sad. When Teri said "distractingly", she meant (I think) that one can get carried away by Paul's good looks and ignore what his character is doing. And "despicable" means worthy of contempt, as in we should look down on his character because he's so mean.

I haven't finished capping part 2, which is Paul's story. You get to see that he's full of angst, fear, and disappointment and not mean and angry all the time. [It's weird that his character's name is also Paul.]

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>his face is much more versatile now, with age, isn't it. <

Absolutely, Teri. He's more expressive because you see there's a lifetime of experience in that face, and only maturity and or experience can do that. You see it in the way he holds himself and you see it in something behind his eyes. A good cinematographer and or director will pick that up in a good actor, and what a canvas it paints on screen! Even in stills you can see it. Marvelous. I keep thinking of that great last monologue of the dying android in the film, Blade Runner.

"I've seen things..."

"I've seen things....you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams...glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those...moments will be lost, in time, like tears in the rain."

It's like that, seeing in his face and his voice and his movements, those significant moments experienced, something a person carries inside himself that gives emotional weight and significance to everything they do. For an actor, this comes out visually on film.

I liked Withnail and GUAB and Paul looked gorgeous as a youth, he was a beauty. Still is, but in a different way. Youthful beauty doesn't appeal to me in a gushy-wibbly way now that I'm older. It's that other quality of beauty...but I don't know what it's called, if it has a name. Probably not.

In those early movies of his, I see him as a beautiful young man, but it doesn't get to me in the way that I see him now...just looking at those pics, you see so much more going on and you want to keep looking.

Now, I see him as someone who, as an actor on screen brings forth a certain--let's call it--humanity, because of the person he has become. Like most of us, with all the mistakes, flaws, frailties, the pettiness, the errors that every person makes along the path of life, as well as the joys, kindnesses and sadness that we all share or have felt...or just BECAUSE of what time does to a person, if they're paying attention, or even not, I guess. It's sometimes a humbling thing to recognize. Immense. I think all those qualitites are within a good actor and if he gets the opportunity to bring some of it forth in a visible way on screen (or on stage)....wow! It's beautiful. With Paul, you know it's all there, churning beneath the surface, on a low kindle....you can see it....

I think you're right Estelle, he looks like he worked very hard on this movie.
Akka

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:

Sorry, Akka.

No excusing Estelle! Thatīs what I meant wishing to hold a really conversation, a discussion, and Iīm so far away that! Crying or Very sad

]quote="emay"]

You get to see that he's full of angst, fear, and disappointment and not mean and angry all the time. [It's weird that his character's name is also Paul.]

Estelle[/quote]

Hm,...Angst is a German word, does that mean fear, too? Or is there different between fear and angst?
Teri

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akka wrote:
Hm,...Angst is a German word, does that mean fear, too? Or is there different between fear and angst?

Angst means having lot's of worry's, problems, inner-turmoil--innerer Tumult? Auf Deutsch?

Akka, I posted on the bulletin board about a new language translation site I found! Very Happy It's called 'Polly Grotto', and it's like Babelfish, but there's a cyber lady there who says the words and sentences for you, too! Check it out--it's fun!

(And you can make her say all kinds of fun things, too, like 'Paul is a hotty' and stuff--even auf Deutsch! Wink ) Here's the link:

http://www.pollyglotto.com/index8.php
Down East

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pics are from Helen's story only?

Can't wait to see the ones from Paul's story.

Nudge, nudge!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Screen caps from 2000+ All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: