The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Withnail & I-- In the Theatre?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Down East

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Withnail & I-- In the Theatre? Reply with quote

http://news.viewlondon.co.uk/Jude_in_West_End_Withnail__I_17118882.html

http://www.viewlondon.co.uk/withnail-and-i-tickets-london_index.html

Not sure what I think about it.

They might have done better to write an update to W&I rather than a remake. A where are Marwood and Withnail today...kind of thing.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly can't see Jude Law as Withnail. Maybe he'd be ok as Marwood but never as Withnail. It's too bad the producer from HandMaid films thinks REG and Paul are over the hill. Still, if the show must go on, I'd consider the Fiennes brothers as the title characters with Paul and REG in supporting roles.

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Jude Law. He's very pretty, but he has that cold unapproachable exterior to him, one of those actors who doesn't let anyone in. There's that wall. That's how I see him anyhow. I thought the best role he ever played was in Gattica. Was he in Brideshead Revisited? If he was in that, he was very good, although the WALL exterior worked very well for him in that part. As Withnail....I don't know. There are layers to Withnail. What he thinks he's letting people see, and what people (Marwood) see of him regardless.

Over the hill....what friggin' hill? At least, they didn't have to put it that way, as if they ought to sign in to a nursing home.
Rolling Eyes
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down East wrote:
Over the hill....what friggin' hill? At least, they didn't have to put it that way, as if they ought to sign in to a nursing home.
Rolling Eyes

I wonder how old the producer is. I guess he's trying to reproduce the movie on stage and thinks he can't do that with actors who performed those parts nearly twenty years ago. Those guys would still work just fine, since aspiring and unemployed actors can be any age. However, I still like the idea of Withnail redux, which could be quite funny. Maybe we (heehee you) should write it.

Estelle
Down East

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. If we had the time (I have too many projects going), we could do a fun parody, which was brought up earlier. But it's really Bruce's baby.

Since the whole 60's movement (though it was late 60's) was a Youth oriented thing, and its appropriate that they be younger actors for that particular story.

But gosh, I wish Bruce would revisit Withnail and Marwood in the present, or even in the 90's or something. He could really strike while the iron is hot and Withnail is fresh in everyone's mind. That's what they should have on stage, Withnail and I, Revisited. Or better yet, Bruce could write a new film script for these characters. What the hell happened to them?
DId Marwood make it? Did Withnail ruin his liver, or overdose? Are they straight now? Hows uncle Monty?

There's a lot of material there. As struggling actors, I bet Paul and Reggie could supply a lot of material about their career highs and lows, and then Bruce could mix it together with his wit through those characters.
Down East

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked Bruce Robinson up at IMDB, just wondering what he's done since Withnail and I (1987), and that was the last script or movie he's made.
Such a talented writer....what's happened? He just seems to have dropped off the radar--creatively, at least to the worldwide movie going public. Love to see him working in film again.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
I certainly can't see Jude Law as Withnail.

Have you ever seen him in the film Wilde, though? Judging from the way he played Oscar Wilde's arrogant, self-absorbed lover 'Bosie' in that film, with a few added years of maturity under his belt now (Grant was 30 when he played Withnail), I could actually see him in the role. And actually the only other film I've ever seen him in is The Aviator, so I'm not the best judge of his acting range, but Withnail is not exactly the warmest of characters, either--so as Maddy said, if cold and unapproachable are what Jude Law does well, Withnail wouldn't really be too much of a stretch for him. Just add a little paranoid, maniacal behavior, and he'd have it.

Check out these scenes from the movie Closer. Pouf up his hair a little, rumple up the overcoat, slap some circles under his eye--and he's already halfway there...

Just put Marwood in Natalie Portman's place...can you see it? Wink

Is this the same park Withnail and Marwood walked in? Shocked

Five o'clock shadowed and pallid--
Teri

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post above.

Teri
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jude Law is a good actor, not my cup of tea though. I really can't see him doing the comedic part well... can't explain why. Maybe is that unapproachable exterior Maddy is talking about.

Photoshop resources
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did Withnail become popular in America?

I remember going to see it in Leicester Square soon after release and sitting in an almost empty cinema. It took a long while for people over here to 'get it' and for it to become the cult movie it is now - I personally can't see what took them so long......
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
When did Withnail become popular in America?

I remember going to see it in Leicester Square soon after release and sitting in an almost empty cinema. It took a long while for people over here to 'get it' and for it to become the cult movie it is now - I personally can't see what took them so long......

It is not what I would call popular here in the US. Most people don't even know about it, except for the occasional college student that likes obscure films. I personally love it and never get tired of watching it.

Photoshop resources
Teri

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think Withnail is one of those things Americans stumble on by default once they get to know Paul, or REG, or even Richard Griffiths through something more mainstream (did anyone notice Richard Griffiths, btw, in Masterpiece theaters' Bleak House a few months ago?). I only know of Withnail myself as a result of being a PMG fan.

And you know, what I like to call the 'British invasion of filmdom and mini-seriesdom', really only started full throttle here in the US, IMO, in 1995 with Emma Thompson's feature film Sense and Sensibility. Titanic (1996) kept the 'anglophilic' ball rolling after that (although it was an American production--it had the Brit subject matter), and then there were the Hornblower episodes beginning here in 1999, and it just kept snowballing.

Before 1995 there wasn't really as much interest in the US for Brit productions as there is now, so I think the whole phenomon has just made Americans more alert to, and aware of things like Withnail & I. The internet has made a huge difference, as well, what with being able to cross reference actors and their work with the IMDb, and online movie rental sites like Netflix--it's so easy now to find out virtually everything an actor's done from day one of their career, which is a wonderful thing! Smile

Gaby--your icon! Laughing Laughing
Rollyb

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot picture Jude Law as Withnail!!! Confused

I stumbled upon Withnail & I through the old McGann Library(I forget who mentioned it a couple of years ago). A few months later, I saw it on one of our independant film channels...at first I really didn't understand the film. Since then, its aired a few times on that particular film channel. I realize how funny it really is.
I own a copy of it. Very Happy
Rollande Cool
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments about the proposed stage version of Withnail and I from Paul and Bruce Robinson:

Withnail Jude is 'ludicrous'
By Ellen Widdup, Evening Standard
31 May 2006 (see http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/films/articles/22743720?source=Evening%20Standard)

The director of cult movie Withnail And I has denied claims it will be made into a West End play.

Bruce Robinson, who wrote and directed the 1987 film, also hit out at rumours that Jude Law would play the leading role saying: "He just could not do it justice."

Actor Paul McGann, who starred alongside Richard E Grant in the comedy, also hit out at the claims. He said: "The idea of putting the film on stage is ludicrous. It's utter bollocks. What more is there to say?"

The original cast were reunited at a party at Sketch, Conduit Street, to celebrate the premiere of the semi-autobiographical film Wah-Wah, Grant's debut as a director.

Robinson, who helped Grant soar to stardom when he gave him the part of Withnail, said: "Nobody could play that part like Richard. When I read about the rumours that the film was being considered for the theatre in my morning newspaper I almost spewed in my Shreddies.

"I would never even consider selling the rights to it. It's an absurd suggestion. It just is not possible and it is not going to happen if I have any say over it."

Patrick Meehan, chairman of HandMade Films, which made the film, and theatre producer Laurence Myers, said this month they had already got the ball rolling on a stage production and had spoken to Jude Law's agent.

Interesting, huh?

Estelle
Teri

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I guess we've heard it from the horse's mouth. Surprised

But what about this? Is it common to proceed with casting and so on before the obtaining rights?

Quote:
Patrick Meehan, chairman of HandMade Films, which made the film, and theatre producer Laurence Myers, said this month they had already got the ball rolling on a stage production and had spoken to Jude Law's agent.

While it does seem like sacrilege, I'm still curious as to what Jude Law would do with it--or maybe for how badly he'd mess it up, I don't know. It might be possible, too, that the role should be played by someone who lived during that time--even as just a child, like Paul and REG were--someone who was aware of the actual feel of that time period. There isn't anyone young enough around for that anymore.

It'll be interesting to see if it gets made!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Theatre All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: