The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introduction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

Hi, have just discovered your site - used to write for the official McGann fan club back in the eighties! Saw Stephen on Saturday in London (last night of Footloose) looking gorgeous as ever. Love to hear from anyone.... Very Happy
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Introduction Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
Hi, have just discovered your site - used to write for the official McGann fan club back in the eighties! Saw Stephen on Saturday in London (last night of Footloose) looking gorgeous as ever. Love to hear from anyone.... Very Happy

Hi Michelle, and welcome to this bit of McGanned space (mostly Paul)! How cool that you used to write for the official McGann fan club. Did the brothers ever contribute anything to the fans? When the British Mercury newsletter was up and running (1997-2002), Paul and even his wife Annie would occasionally send in stuff for publication.

I greatly enjoyed seeing Stephen, Joe, and Mark in Tom, Dick, and Harry last October. What a talented bunch of guys!

Estelle
Teri

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michelle--welcome to the Library! Smile

Michelle wrote:
used to write for the official McGann fan club back in the eighties!

Well if that isn't serendipitous, I'm not sure what is! Very Happy

Only last week I started a thread here: http://mcgannlibrary.org/viewtopic.php?t=355 about what I refer to as 'The lost years' in Paul's fandom, only because it's difficult to find much information on his fanbase pre-dating 1996, when the PMEB (Paul McGann Estrogen Brigade) was formed.

The PMEB was formed mainly as a result of Paul's stint as Doctor Who, which seemed to have brought him more global recognition (particularly here in the US)--but I've become very curious as of late as to what his fandom was like in the eighties and early nineties, as well, when the bulk of his fanbase was probably centered more in the UK and Europe.

I'd love to hear more about that, either here or on that thread, if you'd care to share. Smile It's really wonderful to have a fan here from way back when, at last! YAY!!

*does a happy dance*

Enjoy the Library, too, Michelle--there's plenty of PMG goodness to be had here! Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Estelle and Teri for replying - great to hear from you. I saw "Tom, Dick and Harry" last October jus before it closed. The day I went Paul turned up to watch his brothers! I hadn't seen him for 14 years so it was pretty cool. I had a chat with him - the guy is still as cool and sexy as ever! Will try and find the other link to write about Paul in the early years, but you'll have to bear with me as I'm still trying to work out how to put stuff on!!!!!!

Michelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I saw "Tom, Dick and Harry" last October jus before it closed. The day I went Paul turned up to watch his brothers! I hadn't seen him for 14 years so it was pretty cool. I had a chat with him - the guy is still as cool and sexy as ever! Will try and find the other link to write about Paul in the early years, but you'll have to bear with me as I'm still trying to work out how to put stuff on!!!!!!

Michelle

Wow, it's wonderful that you got to see Paul at TDAH. I saw the play on Friday, October 28 with some pals from the Library and horatians.org. I was kinda hoping Paul might be around but I didn't see him. Anyway, we got to meet his brothers Stephen and Joe. Here are my pics of those two:

In the first photo Stephen is holding these two pictures of him and Paul that I'd taken the year before at the National Theatre after a performance of Mourning Becomes Electra.

Oh, the thread that Teri mentioned is The Lost Years at the Gushatorium (http://mcgannlibrary.org/viewtopic.php?t=355).

Estelle
Rollyb

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Library Michelle!!! Very Happy

There's lots of Paul goodies here for you to look at!
How cool that you were part of the original McGann fan club back in the eighties especially since(I think) most of us are still McGann newbies.....LOL!!
We'd love to read some of your anectodes!!

Rollande Cool
Akka

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI and welcome from me, too, Michelle! Cool
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[I saw the play on Friday, October 28 with some pals from the Library and horatians.org. I was kinda hoping Paul might be around but I didn't see him./quote]

Hi Estelle,

Just worked out that my friend Sam (who should be joining us soon!) and I saw the play - and Paul - the day before! Sorry to have missed you, and even more sorry you missed Paul.

Michelle
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
Just worked out that my friend Sam (who should be joining us soon!) and I saw the play - and Paul - the day before! Sorry to have missed you, and even more sorry you missed Paul.

Ah, close but no cigar. Smile Gaby (sotl) and I went to see a matinee perfomance of Otherwise Engaged that Thursday, and in the eveing we did the Jack the Ripper walk, which was fun.

Now back in April 2005 Karin (Bushblower) showed up at the Finborough Theatre in London to see Paul in The Gigli Concert. Unfortunately, the performance was cancelled that day because he'd hurt his back. Now I thought that was a very awful near-miss, since she had to return home to the US the next day.

Estelle
miss silly

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Michelle,

Nice to see you here. And of course we want to know everything you know about Paul (and his brothers). Wink

Sylvia
Intervain

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michelle!! Very Happy the more the merrier I say!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, did someone mention my name?!? Greetings from another McGann fan club (occasional writer) member from "The Lost Years"! Sorry it's taken me so long to post a message - busy week Sad

This is a great site! Always happy to talk to fellow McGann fans - have been "talking McGanns" with Michelle since we met way back in 1988 Smile

I'm sure Michelle will agree with me that we will do our best to fill in any gaps by answering any questions - if we can - that anyone may have regarding "The Lost Years".

Anyway, I have just found my McGann photos so, after a little time reminiscing, I will try to figure out how to post some onto the site. Can't find negatives so hopefully scanned ones will work? Any instructions/help on how to do this would be most welcome! Have never been on a forum before so please bear with me too!

P.S. I agree that Paul IS wonderful and totally gorgeous but if any of you get the chance to see Joe, Mark or Stephen in theatre etc please go and discover for yourselves what great guys they are too Very Happy

Sam
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Hi, did someone mention my name?!? Greetings from another McGann fan club (occasional writer) member from "The Lost Years"! Sorry it's taken me so long to post a message - busy week Sad

Hi Sam and welcome!!

Quote:
This is a great site!

Thank you! Everyone who posts helps make it better and better. Smile

Quote:
Always happy to talk to fellow McGann fans - have been "talking McGanns" with Michelle since we met way back in 1988 Smile

You've come to the right place!

Quote:
Anyway, I have just found my McGann photos so, after a little time reminiscing, I will try to figure out how to post some onto the site. Can't find negatives so hopefully scanned ones will work? Any instructions/help on how to do this would be most welcome! Have never been on a forum before so please bear with me too!

I like the format of this forum that allows simultaneous posting of pictures and text. Also, if you want to post under your name, you'll have to log in first. For some reason not clear to me, you can't log-in at the level of the message field.

Your sharing photos would be marvelous! In order to post these, you need to have them on a separate server like photobucket (http://photobucket.com/). A free account with photobucket comes with 1 gigabyte of space for something like 10,000 images.

If you have questions about anything, just ask. Smile

Estelle
Teri

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Sam! Smile Nice to see you, too!

I can't help thinking what a treasure trove we've found in you and Michelle! Very Happy I'm on baited breath for all you have to share, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've got.

I can help, too, with Photobucket and image posting questions, like Estelle mentioned--just PM me, or ask in a post, I check in here pretty often. Smile

Enjoy the Library--we're really glad to have you here!
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam and welcome. It is great to have fans that have been around from the beginning. I am sure we'll have lots of questions for you.

Photoshop resources
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: