The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Throwing in the Towel and Head Over Heels
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiddlie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Throwing in the Towel and Head Over Heels Reply with quote

Hello!

I've actually known about the Library for a while, but, what can I say - I thought I could conquer this thing, but alas, I cannot and can't imagine why I would want to now anyway! It's a question I've been irregularly pondering over at my LJ, but to restate:

What has Paul McGann done with my brain and when can I have it back?

Obviously, just the lovely banner at the top of this page is making me mindlessly mix my metaphors. I'm a mess.

So how did I get McGanned? I probably caught the bug in the most common fashion - Hornblower. He looked familiar, and I suppose I had seen him at least in Withnail and I before, but I was absolutely mesmerized. I didn't know anything about the series at the time, so I thought for sure that he was in the category of handsome, talented midshipmen/lieutenants destined to eat it in Act IV. For some reason, the Mr. still thinks I have a thing for Ioan Gruffudd even though I actually jumped off the couch and yelled, "He saved Sexy!" when Hornblower pulled him out from under that anchor. Whew! It was a close one. Wink

And it's all been downhill from there - I knew it was all over when I saw that he was Mr. Eugene Wrayburn - the hottest literary hottie of all time in my book. I had avoided seeing the BBC production for years just to make sure that my Eugene was never sullied by another. After Hornblower, I knew that against all odds, the BBC had actually found my Mr. Wrayburn, or at least were part and parcel of the plot to take over my brain for their nefarious deeds.

So now I'm here because many of the Horatians appear to have moved their gush thisaway, and I'll talk Hornblower book discussions all the live long day (please please!), but sometimes a girl's just got to gush! Embarassed

Cheers!
kT
Rollyb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Library Fiddlie!!! Very Happy

Lots of Paul goodies to drool at here, take your time!
Enjoy!!!!
Rollande Cool
PS Eugene is definitely droolworthy Twisted Evil
Grace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fiddlie!!! I don't think I know you, do I? But I'm grace_poppy at LJ, and I live in NC too! Where are you? I'm in Greensboro. Hooray, another Paulfan in my state! Up till now, I think Estelle in Nashville was the closest in physical proximity! Very Happy

You'll LOVE the Library. At least, I hope so! There are so many wonderful fabulous pictures and stories, and it's just fun to share the gushing! Plus all the gals here are lovely people. I've made some great friends, and have been the recipient of many hard-or-impossible-to-find videos from all the generous people here!

-Grace

PS I love your icon! Cool
Grace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Eugene, I understand how you feel. My favorite book is Les Miserables, and I know that no movie or musical or artistic depiction of my hero, Enjolras, can equal the way he is in my mind. But I have a good enough grasp on my imagination of him not to let it get sullied by seeing other interpretations of his character.

But having gone the opposite way and seen the Paul version of Eugene before reading the book, I have to say that I think he gave an amazingly faithful performance. Even little things like leaning over the mantle and resting his head on his hand where the book says so.

I haven't finished the book yet, though. But I'm loving it. I like Dickens too. Very Happy (Did you see Ioan in Great Expectations?)
Down East

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!!

I enjoyed reading your introduction....watching Hornblower, "he saved Sexy!" LOL! Paul sure gave something very special and memorable to his portrayel of Lt. Bush and Eugene.

MORE!

Glad you decided to dip in your oar. A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.
fiddlie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcomes!

Grace!
Yay for someone else in NC! I'm in Banner Elk, which is a little further up the hill from Boone - all the ski mountains are up this way.

I've got a whole long blather at my LJ about Paul as Eugene, well, maybe it's more just about Eugene, but yes, his performance is very faithful - as well it should be. Reading the book, it was as if I could see the film version spooling out - Dickens writes it as if he was writing the screenplay - developing characters by the mannerisms and postures, etc., so following his direction is a great way to get inside Eugene. My Eugene was probably a little more volatile, or something, but Paul agrees with him enough that I can blend the two and love him for it - probably not anyone else alive could have done that much! They also lifted my FAVORITE scene from the book almost exactly - the first confrontation with the schoolmaster, and the moment I fell hopelessly in love with a man who never existed....oh good heavens. Rolling Eyes

And yes - Bush is so much more because of Paul. Love it! Am looking forward to going on and on and on and on about it! LOL!
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fiddie, and welcome!! I don't know what it is about Paul McGann either but I like him very much! I hope you have fun around here.

Estelle
Grace

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see, so you HAVE watched Our Mutual Friend. Good! I was thinking you were avoiding it because it was too precious in your heart (which is understandable). Very Happy

I love characters with ennui. When I first saw OMF, he reminded me of another Eugene that I love, Eugene Onegin - only happier and a somewhat better person. I love Eugene Onegin in a strange way, because he reminds me of my own bad qualities. I sympathize with him, and feel sorry for him, and love him. But Eugene Wrayburn is a more genuinely loveable person.

I've heard of Banner Elk, but I'm not sure of the context. Maybe just because of ASU.
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you around here fiddlie as well.

This is the place to be for McGann fans, so make yourself at home.

Photoshop resources
fiddlie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SOTL! Took me long enough to get over here! And I must say I am impressed to get a reply during the World Cup - I know your schedule is full these days. Glad to hear Mexico won - sounds like it was a great one! Very Happy

Grace - actually bought Our Mutual Friend after seeing it! Amazon had it for $9.98 - who can resist? Ennui is good; ennui + irascible is even better!
I'm not much for Russian lit in general, so haven't made it to Eugene Onegin. Should I give it another chance? I never had a good teacher for it and it's a cliche, but the whole genre seems so bleak. Any good words to throw in for it? I'm going to have to take up speed reading to get through all the books on my "to do" list for the summer, but I'm always ready to add more! Razz
Akka

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huhu , German greetings from Akka, too! Cool
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fiddlie

Glad you couldn't resist!

Quote:
I thought I could conquer this thing, but alas, I cannot and can't imagine why I would want to now anyway!

Sam and I have come to the conclusion that you can't fight this thing! We've been following Paul and his brothers for 20 years now, and have decided marriage and children might interrupt the process but they don't stop it - the boys were in our lives before our husbands!

Having seen Paul yesterday, then sitting watching 'Withnail and I' today, I have to say these boys are improving with age - I loved them when they were younger, but Paul yesterday, in denim jeans and a white t.shirt, was just so hot!

Anyway, welcome!

Michelle
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiddlie wrote:
I'm not much for Russian lit in general, so haven't made it to Eugene Onegin. Should I give it another chance? I never had a good teacher for it and it's a cliche, but the whole genre seems so bleak.

The movie is visually beautiful, but it is very tedious. It is not the thing one wants to watch very often. LOL!!

Photoshop resources
Grace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shipoftheline wrote:
fiddlie wrote:
I'm not much for Russian lit in general, so haven't made it to Eugene Onegin. Should I give it another chance? I never had a good teacher for it and it's a cliche, but the whole genre seems so bleak.

The movie is visually beautiful, but it is very tedious. It is not the thing one wants to watch very often. LOL!!

I do! Shocked Well... Not very often, but then a lot of my biggest favorites are things I don't watch very often because they fill me up to satisfaction.

I confess that I saw the movie first (Onegin with Ralph Fiennes) and fell in love with it and then read the book (which is all in verse, which was kind of strange to me, not used to such things) and saw the opera too. I did like the book, but reading the verse in translation (since I don't speak Russian) was kind of stilted and awkward. Even really good translations just didn't sit well with me.

But I love the story and the characters and the overall (depressing) mood. It's beautiful and sad... and I love that.

So do what I did! Cheat and watch the movie first! Cool
Teri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fiddlie--welcome to the library! Smile

I've seen you at LJ (I'm miss_b_haven1 there--haven't been there much in the last few weeks, though), and it's great to see you here, too!

I first saw Paul in Hornblower, as well--I loved your 'Ioan' story Laughing, since I was originally a fan of his--until Lt. Blue-Eyes came along, that is Wink...

I have a little connection with NC--my parents retired in Asheville from about 1987 until the late nineties. They've since moved back to Wisconsin permanently (they missed too many grandchildren growing up Confused), but I so miss visiting them there! Sad It's such a gorgeous area.

Well, hope you enjoy yourself here! We certainly do! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Introductions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: