The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Eighth Doc audios on BBC7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Big Finish Eighth Doctor Audios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: New Eighth Doc audios on BBC7 Reply with quote

This news comes from the New 8th Doctor News (Doctor Who Magazine) thread at the Outpost Gallifrey forums (see http://gallifreyone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97752):

"Over Christmas this year, BBC7 digital radio will broadcast 8 50-minute episodes - 6 stories, including a two-parter at either end - of all-new Big Finish Doctor Who adventures featuring Paul McGann as the 8th Doctor, alongside a new companion (Lucie Miller, played by Sheridan Smith, who worked alongside McGann in "Blood Strangers", featuring Caroline Quentin).

"These stories will also be released on CD by Big Finish next year, alongside extensive behind the scenes material and a full-length interview with McGann, who describes the Doctor as 'being a bit more cantankerous this time, actually. He's a bit of a misfit, you know?'.

"The episode details are as follows:

"2 Episodes: "Blood of the Daleks" (Written bt Steve Lyons, Directed by Nicholas Briggs)

"A Dalek two-parter, featuring Katarina Olssen (Headhunter), Anita Dobson(Eileen Klint), Hayley Atwell (Asha/Martez), Gerry O'Toole (Lowell), Kenneth Cranham (Tom Cadwell) and Nicholas Briggs (Daleks). [There's a disturbing picture of McGann getting rather friendly with a Dalek next to this one...]

"'Horror of Glam Rock' (Written by Paul Magrs, Directed by Barnaby Edwards)

"Guest starring Katarina Olssen (Headhunter/The Only Ones), Stephen Gately (Tommy Tomorrow) who according to Briggs will be singing, Una Stubbs (Flo), Clare Buckfield (Trisha Tomorrow), Lindsay Hardwick (Pat) and Bernard Cribbins (Arnold Korns).

"'Immortal Beloved' (Written by Jonathan Clementis, Directed by Jason Haigh-Ellery)

"Featuring Elspeth Grey (Hera), Anthony Spargo (Kalkin), Jennifer Higham (Sarati), Jake McGann * (Ganymede), Ian McNeice (Zeus) and David Dobson (Tayden/Aris). With characters like "Zeus" and "Ganymede", this has a mythological ring to it and may well link with the next story.

"* Paul McGann's son, or a very big coincidence!

"'Phobos' (written by Eddie Robson, Directed by Barnaby Edwards)

"With Katarina Olssen (Headhunter/Amy), Nerys Hughes (Eris - will there be Discord? 23s? Apples?), Timothy West (Kai Tobias), Ben Silverstone (Drew), John Schaw (Hayd) and Tim Sutton (Farl).

"'No more Lies' (Written by Paul Sutton, Directed by Barnaby Edwards)

"Cast: Katarina Olssen (Headhunter), Nigel Havers (Nick Zimmerman), Julia McKenzie (Rachel Zimmerman), Tom Chadbon (Gordon) and Tim Hudson (Tar-Modowk Leader).

2 Episodes: "Human Resources" (Written by Eddie Robson, Directed by Nicholas Briggs)

"A Cyberman two-parter to round off the series, featuring Katarina Olssen (Headhunter), Roy Marsdwen (Hulbert), Nickolas Grace (Straxus), Louise Fullerton (Karen), Andy Wisher (Malcolm) and Nicholas Briggs (Cybermen)."

So, more of Paul as the Eighth Doctor and at Christmas, too! What a present!! And with great writers and cast--wow!! Very Happy

Estelle
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssommmmmmmmme!!! What else can I say?

I'm really looking forward to this! I thought they were going to give up on the 8th doctor seasons!!

"Horror of Glam Rock" .... lol.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:
I'm really looking forward to this! I thought they were going to give up on the 8th doctor seasons!!

"Horror of Glam Rock" .... lol.

This news is so cool. You can read other comments about it at LiveJournal at Zagreuswaits and Eight_Love. I certainly don't mind the Eighth Doc being a little cantankerous. Smile

I'm trying to find a copy of the most recent Doctor Who Magazine that carries the article about the new audios, which represent a cooperative venture between Big Finish and BBC7. They seem to building on the success of Real Time and Shada, which were aired previously on BBC7.

Estelle
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2006/09/14/36379.shtml

Yay!

Now I have to catch up.. lol Smile.

On top of trying to read all the EDAs too... blah.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:

Those novels are of variable quality, and the Doctor comes across as ineffectual and petulant in a lot of them set post Ancestor Cell. I was looking forward to reading stories about the Eighth Doc recast as a Past Doc, but that line of books got discontinued by the BBC. Are you trying to read the novels in sequence or randomly?

And thanks for posting the official link! Smile What a Christmas present!!

Estelle
Paulgirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found it to be such a blessing that Paul got to carve himself a life in the role of The Doctor. I've never seen a case of more perfect casting in my life, ever. He was perfect.

He's made The 8th Doctor into a much more well-rounded and richer being than he got to be in the TV Movie (which is the reason this gal is here). His Doctor is so evocative he doesn't need visuals for my imagination to work.

My imagination, heh heh. Twisted Evil

Anyway, I'm so glad that he obviously loves doing these audios-that means he'll do more! And if I could have one Who wish for Christmas, besides these audios, it would be that the BBC, realizing they dropped a bollock when they passed on the McGann Doctor, convince the producers to write the story of the 8th's participation in the Time War.

Paul doing the 8th Doctor as hard bitten and ruthless, hurt and angry, surviving the destruction of Gallifrey whether he wanted to or not before morphing into Eccleston...

That would be great.

Denise
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
NimaGraven wrote:

Those novels are of variable quality, and the Doctor comes across as ineffectual and petulant in a lot of them set post Ancestor Cell. I was looking forward to reading stories about the Eighth Doc recast as a Past Doc, but that line of books got discontinued by the BBC. Are you trying to read the novels in sequence or randomly?

And thanks for posting the official link! Smile What a Christmas present!!

Estelle

I've been buying them all as I see them off ebay. Or rather sniping them all. I know, I'm naughty Razz.

I've read a few of them, and heard a whole bunch, but I actually wanted to read them all in order, even if it kills me.

I finished Vampire Science in about two days. I thought that was pretty good. The Eight Doctors was a bit boring though.. What's next? Oh, I think it's "The Bodysnatchers". On the up side, I've only got about ten more to buy, so I may as well finish it off.

I suppose my opinion has changed a little bit of Sam. She's definitely arrogant, but I wouldn't call her annoying, just cocky and confident. That annoys some people, but it could be worse, they could write her as a complete sheep who has no personality at all.. Well, I suppose I'll have to wait and see.

I didn't know the Past Doc series got killed off. I'm sure they wrote at least one book about the 8th Doc in the Past Doc series.. Let me grab the name.. Ah, yeah, "Fear Itself". I'd rather read the Past Doc stuff than the 9th or 10th one since I'm not too fond of the modern writing for them.

Paulgirl wrote:
Anyway, I'm so glad that he obviously loves doing these audios-that means he'll do more! And if I could have one Who wish for Christmas, besides these audios, it would be that the BBC, realizing they dropped a bollock when they passed on the McGann Doctor, convince the producers to write the story of the 8th's participation in the Time War.

I really hope that's possible. We get Doctor Who now, along with Torchwood in October and one possible pilot episode of "Sarah Jane Adventures"... I'd say it's very plausible to make a spin off called Doctor Who: The Time War. God knows, there's so much fan support for it, too. But we're betting on Russell T. Davies listening. Ah, you know how much I'm not a fan of him Wink I'm probably too biased to even comment lol.

Though I'm just appreciative of the fact that we're at least getting 8th doctor seasons in a different way. It makes up for the fact that he didn't get to do TV seasons in the first place, which in some ways is quite a nice gesture and makes me happy.. Though I'd much rather see him given a proper shot as the Doctor on TV. I'm dying to know whether it was a fluke that his interpretation was that good or whether he literally did fit in naturally to the role Razz.
Saphira

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:
I've been buying them all as I see them off ebay. Or rather sniping them all. I know, I'm naughty Razz.

Honestly, it seems the only way to win something sometimes. Once the snipers started coming in, the only way to get something was to start sniping yourself. Unfortunate, but true.

Quote:
I've read a few of them, and heard a whole bunch, but I actually wanted to read them all in order, even if it kills me.

That's what I'm doing, too--even if it kills me Wink

Quote:
I finished Vampire Science in about two days. I thought that was pretty good. The Eight Doctors was a bit boring though.. What's next? Oh, I think it's "The Bodysnatchers". On the up side, I've only got about ten more to buy, so I may as well finish it off.

I liked The Bodysnatchers well enough. And Genocide was also very interesting. I agree that The Eight Doctors was disappointing--I might've liked it more had I not just read The Dying Days and absolutely adored it. Vampire Science was pretty fabulous, though (even if I did keep thinking Buffy the whole time). The last one I finished is Alien Bodies, which blew me away. Just got a copy of War of the Daleks and have to go back and read that quick--the two Dalek books are rated so poorly that I was going to skip them, but now that I have it, I might as well read it.

Quote:
I suppose my opinion has changed a little bit of Sam. She's definitely arrogant, but I wouldn't call her annoying, just cocky and confident.

The most she's annoyed me was in The Bodysnatchers. I got to where I wished they'd stop telling me what was going on in her head, because I was happier not knowing. Knowing, I just wanted to smack her for being ridiculous.

Quote:
I didn't know the Past Doc series got killed off.

I'm not sure that that's really still the case. Back in June, someone posted on Outpost Gallifrey about Justin Richards' comments re: the PDAs in the most recent DWM (which I don't have). The discussion, alas, devolved into what was wrong with the books or how many more you could reasonably put between canon stories, so it's hard to tell exactly what the news was, but I gather that Richards, at least, is of the opinion that there will be more. Possibly in a different format, but again, that's not clear from what was posted.

Ooh, wait, here's a bit from Wikipedia:

Quote:
In a talk in July 2006, commissioning editor Justin Richards said that BBC Books have plans for the future of the Past Doctor Adventures, but that decisions have not yet been taken. (This is in the context of the BBC Books imprint being taken over by Random House and consequent managerial uncertainties.)

No idea if that really means anything at this point or not.

Quote:
But we're betting on Russell T. Davies listening. Ah, you know how much I'm not a fan of him Wink

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I think the new series has succeeded in spite of him, not because of him. I didn't notice it as much in series one, but series two...sigh. Actually, I suppose I should thank him, because if S2 hadn't disappointed me SO much, I wouldn't have got out the TVM and ultimately ended up here Wink

Quote:
Though I'd much rather see him given a proper shot as the Doctor on TV. I'm dying to know whether it was a fluke that his interpretation was that good or whether he literally did fit in naturally to the role Razz.
I certainly wish we'd had more TV to go on, but I think the audios answer your second question pretty well! Smile
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saphira you hit the nail on the head over RTD.

I find that Season 2 has been a case of "Because I can" rather than "Because I want". Season 1 wasn't perfect, but at least they were trying for it to be Doctor Who rather than something else. It had the better stories than Season 2 but I'd say that Tennant does a better job in the role than Eccleston did, though Eccleston did a wonderful dark/angry Doctor.

The only story that sticks out of my mind from Season 2 is "The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit" and I wouldn't dream of putting the Doomsday two parter ahead although the ending was very.. ahem.. fitting. Oh yeah, right until the point they spoilt it with the you-know-what bit straight afterwards which really wasn't needed.

Now we have "Torchwood" and the wonderful character in Captain Jack, and I'm frightened that Torchwood might ruin some of his magic before he comes back in Season 3 which would be awful.

For all the stick the TVM receives, there's an awful amount of tripe in the new Who which makes the TVM look incredible Wink.

/rant over for now.. Razz

I'm guessing that means the PDAs might continue or it's under talks but no one really knows yet. I think they should continue them rather than limiting it to NDA and TDAs.

In all honesty,

Quote:
The discussion, alas, devolved into what was wrong with the books or how many more you could reasonably put between canon stories, so it's hard to tell exactly what the news was, but I gather that Richards, at least, is of the opinion that there will be more.

I find that rubbish Razz. They spend all their time telling us that what are in the BF plays AND the books are not canon and that the only thing we can believe in as canon are our TV screens.. So I don't see why they can complain about putting "non-canon" in between "canon" because really, it shouldn't effect anything, right? I'm glad if he is of the opinion that there should be more thought Smile.

I'm trying to get hold of "War of the Daleks" and "Legacy of the Daleks" cheaply. It's an impossible task Wink.
Saphira

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:
Saphira you hit the nail on the head over RTD.

I could go on and on about my feelings re: RTD (most easily summed up as "Why isn't Steven Moffat Head Writer?!?"), but I suspect I'd be preaching to the choir so I won't. Wink I did see a discussion on LJ the other day that basically said RTD is great at working with ordinary people, but doesn't seem to know what to do with an extraordinary character like the Doctor, and I think that's true. Surprising, since he's such a fanboy himself, but there you have it. (The only other thing I've seen of his is Casanova, which is a rather larger-than-life character, though toward the end of that, he goes a bit off the deep end as well.)

Quote:
I find that Season 2 has been a case of "Because I can" rather than "Because I want".

That's a great way of putting it!!! That's exactly what bothers me, because it's so NOT the Doctor!
Quote:

Season 1 wasn't perfect, but at least they were trying for it to be Doctor Who rather than something else. It had the better stories than Season 2 but I'd say that Tennant does a better job in the role than Eccleston did, though Eccleston did a wonderful dark/angry Doctor.

After The Christmas Invasion, I thought we were going to get a character that was...well, everything up until they part ways with Harriet. I loved him up until then, and hoped that was just a fluke. The fact that it wasn't was incredibly disappointing. And I went looking for the other cute, fun Doctor I recalled, looking for caps to make myself an icon, and ended up living firmly in Eight-land as a result.

I adored Chris Eccleston's Doctor, I have to say. I'm still so disappointed that he only did one year, because he was so great, and I miss that character. I still really *want* to like Ten (and certainly I like David Tennant), but he's got to redeem himself to me. The way S2 ended will, I hope, help that happen.

Quote:
The only story that sticks out of my mind from Season 2 is "The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit" and I wouldn't dream of putting the Doomsday two parter ahead although the ending was very.. ahem.. fitting.

You know, I still had issues even with TIP/TSP. The Ood looked like the Pak'ma'ra from Babylon 5, and the premise was so "Inferno." And that whole domestic-ish conversation...ugh.

Quote:
Oh yeah, right until the point they spoilt it with the you-know-what bit straight afterwards which really wasn't needed.

Seriously. And the fact that that dynamic existed is part of why I'm relieved that it ended that way. It's not good when you start to strongly dislike main characters!

Quote:
Now we have "Torchwood" and the wonderful character in Captain Jack, and I'm frightened that Torchwood might ruin some of his magic before he comes back in Season 3 which would be awful.

Yes--and boy, does RTD know how to make subtle allusions to things throughout a series--I mean, hardly an episode went by without an obnoxiously blatant reference.

Quote:
For all the stick the TVM receives, there's an awful amount of tripe in the new Who which makes the TVM look incredible Wink.

Well, as a dyed-in-the-wool old-schooler, the TVM does have some big plot holes/continuity issues, but ya know...the spirit of the thing is right. And that's really what counts. (Don't even get me started on the end of "Love and Monsters," btw!)

Quote:
I find that rubbish Razz. They spend all their time telling us that what are in the BF plays AND the books are not canon and that the only thing we can believe in as canon are our TV screens.. So I don't see why they can complain about putting "non-canon" in between "canon" because really, it shouldn't effect anything, right?

Well, to be clear, this was user discussion on OG, where folks were basically saying "Come on, how many stories can we reasonably be expected to believe are sandwiched in between 'Planet of Fire' and 'The Caves of Androzani,'" for instance (since, if you're writing for Five and Peri, they ALL have to fit there). And they have a point--sure, it's a time machine, so you can fuss with timeline to some extent, but when you're trying to fit stories in other media in between the TV stories, it can stretch believability. They're not actually arguing over what's canon and what's not.

(I really do think only the TV show is canon, though I'm more likely to go for the BF stuff also being canon than the books--don't ask me why, personal prejudice, I guess. Where Eight is concerned, though, I figure it's all canon, just because there isn't anything else!)

Quote:
I'm trying to get hold of "War of the Daleks" and "Legacy of the Daleks" cheaply. It's an impossible task Wink.

It's really not. It takes luck and patience, but it can be done. I've managed in recent weeks to find cheap copies of The Eight Doctors, Vampire Science, War of the Daleks and The Bodysnatchers. I never thought I would, but I did. Now if I can just manage that miracle with a copy of The Dying Days, I'll be truly chuffed! Smile
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could go on and on about my feelings re: RTD (most easily summed up as "Why isn't Steven Moffat Head Writer?!?"), but I suspect I'd be preaching to the choir so I won't. Wink I did see a discussion on LJ the other day that basically said RTD is great at working with ordinary people, but doesn't seem to know what to do with an extraordinary character like the Doctor, and I think that's true. Surprising, since he's such a fanboy himself, but there you have it. (The only other thing I've seen of his is Casanova, which is a rather larger-than-life character, though toward the end of that, he goes a bit off the deep end as well.)

Yup, you'd definitely be preaching to the choir! I can't believe how many fans there are of him over on OG. It's shocking. Wasn't there a story that he'd only stay writing for the BBC if they let him do Doctor Who? I would have told him "On yer bike then!" :S. Casanova was ok, but I admit I only watched it because of Tennant Embarassed.

Quote:
After The Christmas Invasion, I thought we were going to get a character that was...well, everything up until they part ways with Harriet. I loved him up until then, and hoped that was just a fluke. The fact that it wasn't was incredibly disappointing. And I went looking for the other cute, fun Doctor I recalled, looking for caps to make myself an icon, and ended up living firmly in Eight-land as a result.

I adored Chris Eccleston's Doctor, I have to say. I'm still so disappointed that he only did one year, because he was so great, and I miss that character. I still really *want* to like Ten (and certainly I like David Tennant), but he's got to redeem himself to me. The way S2 ended will, I hope, help that happen.

Peter Davison wasn't bad as cutey back in the day Very Happy. I've been watching him in that ITV drama called A Complete Guide To Parenting. It's surprisingly funny, and so is he Smile. My friend says the 8th doctor is like a mix of the weirdness of the 4th with the innocence and vunerability of the 5th.

I thought Christopher Eccleston was ok, but I thought he tried too hard to convince the audience that he was whacky and it just didn't really suit him if that made sense.. Otherwise he was brilliant, and very good at playing the Doctor darkly.

Quote:
You know, I still had issues even with TIP/TSP. The Ood looked like the Pak'ma'ra from Babylon 5, and the premise was so "Inferno." And that whole domestic-ish conversation...ugh.

I've not seen Babylon 5 ever so I can't really comment on this. However, I thought TIP/TSP was more like "The Robots of Death" than "Inferno"... And I have to say this for a bragging point, but "Inferno" is my favourite old school serial.... I just wanted to say it, because it's great! lol.

Quote:
Seriously. And the fact that that dynamic existed is part of why I'm relieved that it ended that way. It's not good when you start to strongly dislike main characters!

It was a little weird. That's all I'm gonna say about that. The tenth doctor is erm... Emo? lol. He wears converse!

Quote:
Yes--and boy, does RTD know how to make subtle allusions to things throughout a series--I mean, hardly an episode went by without an obnoxiously blatant reference.

I think that was the biggest thing that just ticked people off throughout it all and I really can't blame them. I hate RTD's silly need to put needless pop culture references in Doctor Who and to blatantly advertise stuff like Torchwood.. I mean, we pay a TV license here and the BBC aren't SUPPOSED to have adverts, but heck... Even though Torchwood was part of the story, you couldn't help but feel it was a huge advert saying "Please tune into BBC3 this October." I'll be doing it, RTD, okay? Really! Please! Stop it! I didn't need to have it drilled down my throat! lol.

Quote:
Well, as a dyed-in-the-wool old-schooler, the TVM does have some big plot holes/continuity issues, but ya know...the spirit of the thing is right. And that's really what counts. (Don't even get me started on the end of "Love and Monsters," btw!)

Haha. The Eye of Harmony in the TARDIS? Razz (Gotta love the half-hearted explanation for this in "The Eight Doctors" lol). Yes, I know what you mean, but even though the plot holes are huge in the TVM.... It definitely does stick out in my mind as better than half the stuff I've watched in the new Who.

OMG. Love and Monsters. Why did some people like it? And hail it as ingenuity? It was terrible! It would have been better as a story in something else, but in Doctor Who? Ugh.

SPOILER:

And the Doctor has some weird morality at the end of that making a girl "immortal" and stuck inside a pavement.... And Elton is a bit sick keeping her for ... Just for that .. *Cough* reason Wink.

Quote:
Well, to be clear, this was user discussion on OG, where folks were basically saying "Come on, how many stories can we reasonably be expected to believe are sandwiched in between 'Planet of Fire' and 'The Caves of Androzani,'" for instance (since, if you're writing for Five and Peri, they ALL have to fit there). And they have a point--sure, it's a time machine, so you can fuss with timeline to some extent, but when you're trying to fit stories in other media in between the TV stories, it can stretch believability. They're not actually arguing over what's canon and what's not.

(I really do think only the TV show is canon, though I'm more likely to go for the BF stuff also being canon than the books--don't ask me why, personal prejudice, I guess. Where Eight is concerned, though, I figure it's all canon, just because there isn't anything else!)

Ah, yes, they do have a point, but doesn't that sort of include the BF audios as well? Personally, I'm grateful for any "Who" we get. I bet if we didn't have the TV series they'd soon jump on a bandwagon to bring PDA's back Razz.

The books are a little odd as canon, you're right, they're not perfect.... And yeah where eight is concerned, I guess the only things we know that are canon is what we're given, why shouldn't we accept it as canon? I suppose under the rules of fans who say it isn't practical to have the doctor having a dozen stories between one serial and another have a point... But with the eighth doctor they can't say that Wink.

I want my Time War. lol.

Quote:
It's really not. It takes luck and patience, but it can be done. I've managed in recent weeks to find cheap copies of The Eight Doctors, Vampire Science, War of the Daleks and The Bodysnatchers. I never thought I would, but I did. Now if I can just manage that miracle with a copy of The Dying Days, I'll be truly chuffed! Smile

True, I suppose, I picked up Alien Bodies really cheaply and I heard that was one of the ones to get and I just picked up both books of Inteference cheap as well. I will definitely wait until I can get hold of both Dalek books cheap Smile.

BTW, Steven Moffat for the win!! Very Happy
Saphira

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point, we should probably take this off-board, just because we're rather off-topic! Wink

NimaGraven wrote:
Yup, you'd definitely be preaching to the choir! I can't believe how many fans there are of him over on OG. It's shocking.

I was a fan during the first series, just because there WAS a series and for the most part, it was quite good. I was a little "meh" over the Slitheen thing, just because I don't think that was a terrifically well-written episode, but hey, it was fun. But during the second series, the cracks began to show, and I really think he's mostly to blame. I regret ever thinking he was brilliant and now just wish he'd go the hell away. And the fact that he keeps winning awards is not exactly going to encourage him to mend his evil ways, is it?

Quote:
Wasn't there a story that he'd only stay writing for the BBC if they let him do Doctor Who?

I don't know the details, but that's roughly the story I've heard (though I think the version I heard was that they wanted to sign him, but I don't know what his affiliation was before, so I may be misremembering).

Quote:
Peter Davison wasn't bad as cutey back in the day Very Happy.

Oh no, he certainly was not!! He was always my favorite when I first started watching (around 1985, but I could see Four and Five at the same time thanks to the way it was aired individually by PBS stations). I always thought he was cute, but it's only recently, seeing him again, when I've realized just *how* cute he was. He's still my favorite "classic" Doctor (I confess, I honestly don't know where to put Eight, since he doesn't quite fit the "classic" category but he doesn't fit the "new" category, either. Ah, wait, I've got it--he's in a class by himself Wink )

Quote:
I've been watching him in that ITV drama called A Complete Guide To Parenting. It's surprisingly funny, and so is he Smile.

I've been catching up on All Creatures Great and Small thanks to Netflix, which has been fun. What a far cry from the Doctor--and I'm amazed to learn that a friend of mine could never watch him as the Doctor because she was always thinking of Tristan, and how un-Doctor he was! Her loss, I must say! Smile

Quote:
My friend says the 8th doctor is like a mix of the weirdness of the 4th with the innocence and vunerability of the 5th.

That's a pretty fair description. A bit more energy than Five, a whole lot less buffoonish than Four, a bit of Three's gadgety-ness (I can most easily picture Three on a motorcycle, for instance!), etc. And I find him very sweet--though the image of him yanking a miscreant down a hallway by his ear (from one of the books) just makes me giggle, too.

Quote:
I've not seen Babylon 5 ever so I can't really comment on this. However, I thought TIP/TSP was more like "The Robots of Death" than "Inferno"... And I have to say this for a bragging point, but "Inferno" is my favourite old school serial.... I just wanted to say it, because it's great! lol.

You have a point about "The Robots of Death," though it's been ages since I've seen that one. The drilling, and the ignored warnings to stop, is what reminded me of "Inferno," which I've only recently seen for the first time after wanting to for years, because everyone raved about it. I liked it, but I think it had been built up *so* high in my expectations for so long that it never could have fully lived up. It's certainly quite good, though!

As for B5, you can see what the Pak'ma'ra look like here. Not identical, but what I thought of immediately when I saw the preview with the Ood. When I saw the black hole thing, I also thought perhaps we'd get some reference to the Eye of Harmony, so was disappointed when we didn't.

Quote:
It was a little weird. That's all I'm gonna say about that. The tenth doctor is erm... Emo? lol. He wears converse!

Got no problem with the converse. Got a big problem with the god complex, though.

Quote:
Even though Torchwood was part of the story, you couldn't help but feel it was a huge advert saying "Please tune into BBC3 this October." I'll be doing it, RTD, okay? Really! Please! Stop it! I didn't need to have it drilled down my throat! lol.

Yes! I watched with a friend each week, and we would get to a) the Torchwood Reference Of The Week or b) the Doctor OTT Of The Week and say "And...there it is. Damn." Oh, and have I mentioned how much I really wish they'd never brought back the sonic screwdriver, considering how it now does everything but style your hair and make your tea and therefore is the answer to every. single. problem?

Quote:
Haha. The Eye of Harmony in the TARDIS? Razz (Gotta love the half-hearted explanation for this in "The Eight Doctors" lol).

That's the biggest one, yes! I've pretty much got over my initial shock at the way they redesigned the TARDIS and am starting to like it now, so that's okay (the nanogenes push it, though). I don't remember how Uncle Terry tried to explain it away, though--too many books read since then!

Quote:
Yes, I know what you mean, but even though the plot holes are huge in the TVM.... It definitely does stick out in my mind as better than half the stuff I've watched in the new Who.

That may well be--I haven't thought of it much in that way, so I'll have to cogitate on it. You may well be right, though--Roberts!Master and all. Wink

Quote:
It was terrible! It would have been better as a story in something else, but in Doctor Who? Ugh.

Agreed. I'm all for experimentation and trying new things, but this didn't feel like either to me--it felt really random.

Quote:
SPOILER:

And the Doctor has some weird morality at the end of that making a girl "immortal" and stuck inside a pavement.... And Elton is a bit sick keeping her for ... Just for that .. *Cough* reason Wink.

I agree wholeheartedly! So NOT the Doctor I know! And yes, rather dubious fate for the poor girl. I'd rather have ended up dead, myself.

Quote:
Ah, yes, they do have a point, but doesn't that sort of include the BF audios as well? Personally, I'm grateful for any "Who" we get. I bet if we didn't have the TV series they'd soon jump on a bandwagon to bring PDA's back Razz.

You know, I get the feeling that people really regard the books and the audios as exising parallel to each other, sort of in separate universes (I certainly do anyway), and so, since there aren't as many audios yet (I think!) as books, the thought probably hasn't occurred. Or maybe it has and I just haven't seen it--I'm only a sporadic visitor to OG Wink

Quote:
The books are a little odd as canon, you're right, they're not perfect.... And yeah where eight is concerned, I guess the only things we know that are canon is what we're given, why shouldn't we accept it as canon?

Exactly. As for the Time War, you do know that he does blow up Gallifrey in the books, right? (This seems to be so well-known that nobody regards it as a spoiler, so I hope that nobody's bothered!)

Quote:
True, I suppose, I picked up Alien Bodies really cheaply and I heard that was one of the ones to get and I just picked up both books of Inteference cheap as well. I will definitely wait until I can get hold of both Dalek books cheap Smile.

You'll manage it. OG is actually a good place to find stuff, especially since you're in the UK and the postage won't be as obnoxious. People are always offering stuff for sale on there. (And Alien Bodies, in all seriousness, rocks. Very complex story, interesting structure, fabulous cast of characters. And a few developments that just blew me away.)

Quote:
BTW, Steven Moffat for the win!! Very Happy

Amen!! Anybody who can crack me up with The Curse of Fatal Death *and* create something so simultaneously creepy and joyous as TEC/TDD is okay in my book! Please, BBC, put him in charge!!!
NimaGraven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was a fan during the first series, just because there WAS a series and for the most part, it was quite good. I was a little "meh" over the Slitheen thing, just because I don't think that was a terrifically well-written episode, but hey, it was fun. But during the second series, the cracks began to show, and I really think he's mostly to blame. I regret ever thinking he was brilliant and now just wish he'd go the hell away. And the fact that he keeps winning awards is not exactly going to encourage him to mend his evil ways, is it?

*CRY* That's all I'm gonna say Sad.

I hope in Season 3 the Doctor goes away from Earth and perhaps grows to have a slightly darker side... The new stuff is hardly brain engaging.

And I mean that in the sense of watching "Genesis of the Daleks" and I think in episode 4 where Tom Baker's doctor says something like, "If you knew that that child is going to grow up into a cruel person who would kill millions upon millions of lives could you then kill that child?" It's a fantastic moment and I think it pretty much tells you what the Doctor is about.

However, as "Love and Monsters" proved it doesn't even seem like the Doctor is a different regeneration.. Instead he's a completely different person that seems to be corrupted, in my mind, by complete fanw- Yeah, you guys can finish the rest of the sentence I'm sure! Razz

Quote:
You have a point about "The Robots of Death," though it's been ages since I've seen that one. The drilling, and the ignored warnings to stop, is what reminded me of "Inferno," which I've only recently seen for the first time after wanting to for years, because everyone raved about it. I liked it, but I think it had been built up *so* high in my expectations for so long that it never could have fully lived up. It's certainly quite good, though!

As for B5, you can see what the Pak'ma'ra look like here. Not identical, but what I thought of immediately when I saw the preview with the Ood. When I saw the black hole thing, I also thought perhaps we'd get some reference to the Eye of Harmony, so was disappointed when we didn't.

You have a point over "Inferno". I had that problem with "Genesis of the Daleks" though and really didn't enjoy it all. I managed to sit through "Inferno" in one sitting though, which shows the kind of impression it gave me.

Another serial I love is "Spearhead from Space".. It's quirky, silly, but totally forgivable.

And yeah, the Ood do look a bit like them... And I honestly don't expect RTD to include anything like that Razz.

A friend of mine defends the new stuff because she's only ever seen the new stuff. When I explain that the new stuff is hardly brain engaging she says that it's because it's "made for kids" and I tell her, "but the old stuff was made for the family too and kids used to watch it but that didn't stop it being brain engaging." And I think that's part of the problem of why there's very next to little reference to old stuff or "complicated" old stuff....

...And even the stuff they do bring in such as the popular references from the old stuff isn't that good.

The new Cybermen for instance. They're just laughable to me, but I watched "Attack of the Cybermen" with Colin Baker and it actually scared me and made me jump a few times... That's impressive for a bunch of men with teapots for heads and dressed in tinfoil Razz.

Quote:
Oh, and have I mentioned how much I really wish they'd never brought back the sonic screwdriver, considering how it now does everything but style your hair and make your tea and therefore is the answer to every. single. problem?

I've always considered the sonic screwdriver to be somewhat of a "get out of jail free card". It's an easy work around for writers to work with and if it's there they'll use it. I said it in another post but I'm sure they banished it at some point and the writers just went ahead and created another device that was sonic to get the Doctor out of trouble. It's bad when the writers are getting that lazy... Or maybe they just have a severe lack of talent Sad.

Quote:
I've pretty much got over my initial shock at the way they redesigned the TARDIS and am starting to like it now, so that's okay (the nanogenes push it, though).

Oh? I loved it!

Quote:
That may well be--I haven't thought of it much in that way, so I'll have to cogitate on it. You may well be right, though--Roberts!Master and all.

Haha, he wasn't bad. It was just the whole sunglasses thing and the "Where is the asian child?" that made me think.... "TERMINATOR!!!" Razz.

I don't think that's his fault though. I think Eric Roberts as the Master wasn't a totally bad casting decision..

Quote:
Exactly. As for the Time War, you do know that he does blow up Gallifrey in the books, right? (This seems to be so well-known that nobody regards it as a spoiler, so I hope that nobody's bothered!)

Haha, yep, I knew. I know about all the other hells the eighth doctor practically goes through... And it's kinda like Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince... Even when I read that it was still a shock and gave me something to ponder about Wink.

Quote:
You'll manage it. OG is actually a good place to find stuff, especially since you're in the UK and the postage won't be as obnoxious. People are always offering stuff for sale on there. (And Alien Bodies, in all seriousness, rocks. Very complex story, interesting structure, fabulous cast of characters. And a few developments that just blew me away.)

Yeah! OG is great on the trading bit Smile.

Quote:

At some point, we should probably take this off-board, just because we're rather off-topic!

And you're right Very Happy. I don't mind discussing stuff over MSN or even PM if you want.
Saphira

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:
And you're right Very Happy. I don't mind discussing stuff over MSN or even PM if you want.

I think email's easiest--I'll use the Gmail address in your profile (you can use a Gmail address for MSN, btw? Weird!). Wink
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saphira wrote:
At some point, we should probably take this off-board, just because we're rather off-topic! Wink

Your discusssion is pretty interesting, and I'm enjoying it. So, you guys can keep it here or move it to the water cooler section. Smile

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Big Finish Eighth Doctor Audios All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: