The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Eighth Doc audios on BBC7
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Big Finish Eighth Doctor Audios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saphira

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
Saphira wrote:
At some point, we should probably take this off-board, just because we're rather off-topic! Wink

Your discusssion is pretty interesting, and I'm enjoying it. So, you guys can keep it here or move it to the water cooler section. Smile

Estelle

And here I just replied via email! Figures!! Smile

(Any thoughts you want to contribute, Estelle?)
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NimaGraven wrote:
I finished Vampire Science in about two days. I thought that was pretty good. The Eight Doctors was a bit boring though..

Vampire Science was great, and The Eight Doctors was a by-the-numbers sort of book. However, Terrance Dicks redeemed himself with Endgame, I think. It's been a while since I read The Bodysnatchers, but it was ok. Alien Bodies is fab.

Quote:
She's definitely arrogant, but I wouldn't call her annoying, just cocky and confident

I like Sam just fine and get annoyed with with Fitz sometimes. I liked the Dead Time story with Sam on the Earth and Beyond audiotape.

Quote:
I didn't know the Past Doc series got killed off.

I goofed with this last bit. I just remember reading on who_ink (yahoo support list for aspiring Doctor Who novel writers) that BBC books wasn't accepting any more slushpile manuscripts for the Who novels and that stories about the Ninth and Tenth Docs would be done by established writers. I think Nick Walters' Fear Itself was the last of the unsolicited manuscripts. Lance Parkin's The Gallifrey Chronicles wrapped up the Eighth Doctor in so-so fashion, and his entry novel The Dying Days was much better. I saw on OG that there are three more novels post Fear Itself (World Game. The Time Travellers, and Atom Bomb Blues). And after I saw the cover for World Game, I realized I'd read it last October when I was in England for the Hornblower con and thought it dovetailed nicely at the time.

I guess I like the Eighth Doc with his faculties intact and not amnesiac and petulant. In some of the novels he regularly gets beaten up which does not warm the cockles of my heart.

Quote:
I'd say it's very plausible to make a spin off called Doctor Who: The Time War. God knows, there's so much fan support for it, too. But we're betting on Russell T. Davies listening.

Well, he's said that he doesn't intend to have stories with the previous Doctors, saying, "I don't like past Doctor adventures. I've never liked it when Doctors met other Doctors because I think it's an actors' parade.

"You're not watching the Doctors, you're watching party pieces - so it won't happen." [This bit comes from something I'd previously posted in the watercooler section about no old Docs for the new Who.]

Quote:
I'm just appreciative of the fact that we're at least getting 8th doctor seasons in a different way. It makes up for the fact that he didn't get to do TV seasons in the first place, which in some ways is quite a nice gesture and makes me happy.. Though I'd much rather see him given a proper shot as the Doctor on TV. I'm dying to know whether it was a fluke that his interpretation was that good or whether he literally did fit in naturally to the role Razz.

I think Paul would have done a great job as the Doctor in a TV series if he'd been given a chance. I was so happy when he agreed to do the Big Finish audios, even though the stories have been of variable quality, too. The new ones for BBC7 sound pretty cool.

Estelle

Last edited by emay on Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saphira

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've pasted my email reply over at the Water Cooler so folks who really do want to read/discuss the new audios don't have to wade through tons of extraneous discussion Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Big Finish Eighth Doctor Audios All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: