The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just curious about anaesthesia (sleeping gas) and the Doctor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> General Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moon Dancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Just curious about anaesthesia (sleeping gas) and the Doctor Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm going to be writing or starting to write a Doctor Who fanfic once I can get my Muse speaking to me, that is, and was just wondering about something.

Regarding anaesthesia,(sleeping gas) is it just the types that just knock a person completely out that aren't good or is it *all* types? I was going to use a type of alien nitrous oxide, since this would be slightly different than the normal Earth-type of stuff that is found in dentist offices. Smile

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated,

Moon Dancer
Down East

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to get a more knowlegable person than me for a good answer.

Having said that, I guess that anesth. is a good thing if a patient is getting operated on and they don't want to be conscious or aware of pain and being cut open. So, that must be a good thing.

However, it's dangerous and chancey sometimes (a bad thing) in that....the process stops your breathing? I think, so that you are not moving (breathing) while they are operating. Patients get put on a respirator for that time. Also, once you start to come out of it in post op, if you're like me.....you feel nauseous and sick and pukey. So, that's the bad stuff.
Saphira

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Just curious about anaesthesia (sleeping gas) and the Do Reply with quote

Moon Dancer wrote:
Regarding anaesthesia,(sleeping gas) is it just the types that just knock a person completely out that aren't good or is it *all* types? I was going to use a type of alien nitrous oxide, since this would be slightly different than the normal Earth-type of stuff that is found in dentist offices. Smile

I take it you're talking about the problem Eight has with the anaesthesia in the movie? I believe that's only a regeneration thing--so if you wanted to knock him out chemically, I'd say you could do that. Lord knows, the Doctor's been incapacitated one way or another many times--sometimes with a drug, sometimes a good blow to the head...

If you're really not sure, just invent your own chemical, which of course he will be familiar with and can therefore provide the necessary background at some point Smile
Moon Dancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE and Saphira,

Thanks, that helps me out bunches. Smile Saphira, yep, that's exactly what I meant when I posted the query in the first place. Embarassed That's a good idea indeed, I think I'll do just that and have it be both familiar and *not* familiar to Eight's system. Smile

Thanks again,
Moon Dancer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> General Literature All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: