The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer wrap up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Photo Album
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Down East

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Summer wrap up Reply with quote

We opened up the summer in April with a stormy Maine Coast visit to Ogunquit. I'd never spent any time there, so we thought we'd check it out. The seas were raging and there was massive flooding through parts of New Hampshire, Maine and Mass that week. Rained all the way through but I was happy to see the ocean in some of its fury.

You can see the raindrops on the windowpane....

We stayed at a lovely hotel called Beechmere. It had a fireplace and balcony that overlooks the ocean and you hear the waves and wind at night.

My neice and her Dad visited in August and we went back to Ogunquit to see what it was like without rain.

We also hiked up Douglas mountain (inland) to a nature preserve.

An old stone firetower.

Went for a visit to the Mom's in CT and PA only a few weeks ago and on the way back north to Maine, we avoided the busy eastern corridor and drove by way of the Poconos, upstate NY, Vermont and New Hampshire. The fall foliage was just starting. It's a much nicer ride, though longer. There's no major highway that goes east--west through Vermont, New Hampshire to Maine. Just small roads.

The New Hampshire/Maine state line.

Back Home for some fall shots. Top of the hill looking down to where I live about a half mile away.

The lumber doings

Top of the hill nearby. Fall foliage was just beginning to peak about two weeks ago. Leaves are just about finished now.

The bridge just a stone's throw away.

The edge of the lake just outside.

The full moon was rising over the lake a week or so ago.
Rollyb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pics are absolutely gorgeous Maddy!!
I've done the Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont and upstate New York route about 12 years ago(during the summer season) and the scenery was out of this world. The fall season accentuates its beauty!!
I would love to drive that same route again someday.
Rollande Cool
Down East

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had many pictures, but only put up a few and they are probably wierd choices, as well. You know Rollande, I imagine much of Canada to be like these areas of wilderness, but even MORE SO! And then again, even MORE SO!!!

However, Vermont really has the cute factor going for it in a big way and I guess it banks on it like we bank on the tourist trade mostly. Vermont has the green pastures, green mountains, old barns and contented cows. Maine isn't cute--not really like Vermont is cute and quaint, it's got rough edges to it--hard, hard living, like its been around the block a few times too many and is weathered and a bit gruff---although in a scenic way.

I've been to Nova Scotia, through New Brunswick and want to see more of your beautiful Canada--of course the rest of the Maritimes in addition to the entire east west. It's so vast and varied. My dream is to someday take the Canda rail from coast to coast.
Akka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poahhh, yes, these are absolutely great!
Some pics are similiar to Germany and then others are so foreign. Lovely , I love to watch them!
Thanks for sharing Maddy! Cool
Tallulah-Belle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely Beautiful!!! I am just envious over the scenery. I need a trip like that!
Rollyb

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You know Rollande, I imagine much of Canada to be like these areas of wilderness, but even MORE SO! And then again, even MORE SO!!!

Gee Maddy, some of the pics you've posted look like they could have been taken in my area during the fall season. Most of the leaves have gone now but there is still lots of yellow folliage in the trees.

The east coast is a beautiful area to visit and the people are warm and friendly. I've made two trip there(flown once and drove the second time) with one of my friends(who hails from New Brunswick). She now lives with her hubby in Ottawa, Ontario(our capital).
During the first trip, we visited New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, the second trip was through Nova Scotia and the U. S. I really enjoyed driving through New Hamphire and Vermont(we stayed overnight in a B&B in NH). Yup!!!I would definitely love to drive through there again.
I'm sure some areas in Canada are similar to the States where you see the ocean on the east and west coast, the Rockies, the flatlands of the Prairies etc.
Quote:
My dream is to someday take the Canada rail from coast to coast.
That would be a great trip.....but very expensive so I've heard. But if you want to take a once in a lifetime holiday, it's worth the splurge.
Rollande Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: