The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Girl Who Never Was--no spoilers, I promise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Big Finish Eighth Doctor Audios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: The Girl Who Never Was--no spoilers, I promise Reply with quote

With a title like The Girl Who Never Was, I was steeling myself up for a particularly heart-wrenching tale for Charley's grand finale. The story is quite poignant and has several unanticipated twists. Our heroine is her usual gung-ho, unflappable self.

India Fisher said at the end of the CD that she cried when she read the script. She said coming back was a little strange because the last time she recorded an Eighth Doctor audio was two years ago. She figured that the Big Finish folks wanted to wrap up loose ends with Charley Pollard, now that more Eighth Doc/Lucie Miller audios have been done. She added that she'd worked a total of seven years for Big Finish and thought there weren't many acting jobs that would last seven years, unless one were in a soap.

Before the forum got hacked, someone was wondering whether they should listen to all of the Eighth Doc audios before Absolution and The Girl Who Never Was. Going sequentially would enable one to get to know Charley and C'rizz a little better before listening to their ultimate tales.

Estelle
wshaffer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The Girl Who Never Was--no spoilers, I promise Reply with quote

emay wrote:
With a title like The Girl Who Never Was, I was steeling myself up for a particularly heart-wrenching tale for Charley's grand finale. The story is quite poignant and has several unanticipated twists. Our heroine is her usual gung-ho, unflappable self.

India Fisher said at the end of the CD that she cried when she read the script. She said coming back was a little strange because the last time she recorded an Eighth Doctor audio was two years ago. She figured that the Big Finish folks wanted to wrap up loose ends with Charley Pollard, now that more Eighth Doc/Lucie Miller audios have been done. She added that she'd worked a total of seven years for Big Finish and thought there weren't many acting jobs that would last seven years, unless one were in a soap.

Before the forum got hacked, someone was wondering whether they should listen to all of the Eighth Doc audios before Absolution and The Girl Who Never Was. Going sequentially would enable one to get to know Charley and C'rizz a little better before listening to their ultimate tales.

Estelle

Thank you for the review! I've been hearing really good things about this audio, which makes me very happy - reactions to Absolution were more mixed.

I think it was me who was trying to decide whether to listen sequentially or skip ahead. So far, I'm holding to my resolve to listen in order (and I've even managed to avoid spoilers for The Girl Who Never Was). I just listened to The Creed of the Kromon, so at least now I know a bit more about C'rizz.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Girl Who Never Was--no spoilers, I promise Reply with quote

wshaffer wrote:
I've been hearing really good things about this audio, which makes me very happy - reactions to Absolution were more mixed.

I like Absolution, too, but prefer Charley's story. Jake McGann is also in this one, though not as a main character as he was in Immortal Beloved. Nick Briggs remarked during last month's ChicagoTARDIS brunch that Paul brought his son by and indicated that the Big Finish guys should find a part for him. On the GWNW CD, Barnaby Edwards said Jake was very polite and wanted to get things right. He remarked that he had his dad's stillness.

Quote:
I think it was me who was trying to decide whether to listen sequentially or skip ahead. So far, I'm holding to my resolve to listen in order (and I've even managed to avoid spoilers for The Girl Who Never Was). I just listened to The Creed of the Kromon, so at least now I know a bit more about C'rizz.

It shouldn't take you too long to listen to the rest of the Eighth Doc audios with C'rizz and Charley. Do you have The Next Life CD? This three-parter deals with an important transition in the lives of principal characters.

Estelle
wshaffer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: The Girl Who Never Was--no spoilers, I promise Reply with quote

emay wrote:

It shouldn't take you too long to listen to the rest of the Eighth Doc audios with C'rizz and Charley. Do you have The Next Life CD? This three-parter deals with an important transition in the lives of principal characters.

No, it shouldn't take me too long to get caught up. Right now I only have the CDs up through The Natural History of Fear, but I'll most likely be ordering another batch in January, after all the dust from the holidays settles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Big Finish Eighth Doctor Audios All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: