The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The second season of 8th Doctor and Lucie audios

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Big Finish Eighth Doctor Audios
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wshaffer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: The second season of 8th Doctor and Lucie audios Reply with quote

I just got my subscriber's copy of "Dead London", the first in the new season of 8th Doctor audios from Big Finish. I've been so looking forward to these! I'll report back as soon as I've had a chance to listen.
Mikoto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do web subscriptions now, yeah? Methinks I'm gonna do that. Must have! (Until now I've borrowed from a friend.)

One for:
~ 'Two hearts'
~ 'Thirteen lives'
~ A clock
~ 90s-grade CG
~ Reference to Puccini/Madame Butterfly

Two for:
~ Gratuitous Doctor Who continuity
~ Overtly Messianic imagery
~ Beryllium/atomic clock
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The second season of 8th Doctor and Lucie audios Reply with quote

wshaffer wrote:
I just got my subscriber's copy of "Dead London", the first in the new season of 8th Doctor audios from Big Finish. I've been so looking forward to these! I'll report back as soon as I've had a chance to listen.

Ooh, I'm glad you've gotten yours. I'm still waiting for mine and e-mailed Big Finish about it yesterday.

Estelle
wshaffer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikoto wrote:
You can do web subscriptions now, yeah? Methinks I'm gonna do that. Must have! (Until now I've borrowed from a friend.)

Starting February 1st, you'll be able to purchase downloads from Big Finish's website. Near instant 8th Doctor gratification!
wshaffer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: The second season of 8th Doctor and Lucie audios Reply with quote

emay wrote:

Ooh, I'm glad you've gotten yours. I'm still waiting for mine and e-mailed Big Finish about it yesterday.

Estelle

This is the first time I've ever subscribed directly from Big Finish, so I didn't really know what to expect as far as timing, but I did get a bit worried when WhoNA and Alien Entertainment had copies in stock and mine was nowhere in sight. Maybe they were a bit late at getting some subscriber's copies into the mail this time around?
wshaffer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Spoiler-free comments on "Dead London" Reply with quote

So, I listened to "Dead London" this morning. It was a fun story, with really great performances from regulars and guest stars alike. (I really enjoyed hearing Clare Buckfield again, and her character and the Doctor get some great banter.) The setting was fun. I think I would have liked for the play to be longer, just so they could explore the potential of the setting a bit more.

I had a bit of an issue with the ending, for reasons that I can't get into without entering spoiler territory, but it's a relatively minor niggle.

And the trailer for "Max Warp" sounds great!
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wshaffer wrote:
Starting February 1st, you'll be able to purchase downloads from Big Finish's website. Near instant 8th Doctor gratification!

I think it's great that BF is making downloads available. Smile
Mikoto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like Lucie until I finished listening to the first season. She really grows on you shortly after she grows on the Doctor. It's nice to have a companion who's not madly in love with the Doctor, isn't it?

(After listening to Beyond the Vortex, though, I discovered that that was half the point of her character!)

One for:
~ 'Two hearts'
~ 'Thirteen lives'
~ A clock
~ 90s-grade CG

Two for:
~ Beryllium/atomic clock
wshaffer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikoto wrote:
I didn't like Lucie until I finished listening to the first season. She really grows on you shortly after she grows on the Doctor. It's nice to have a companion who's not madly in love with the Doctor, isn't it?

Yeah, I think they struck a nice balance with Lucie, in that eventually they get to a point where it's obvious that there's a lot of mutual respect and even affection between them, but things never get too cosy. There's still a lot of room for disagreement and sparks flying.

I personally happen to believe that Lucie fancies the Doctor like mad, but would probably sooner die than admit it. But that's still a very different thing from being in love with him.

Quote:
(After listening to Beyond the Vortex, though, I discovered that that was half the point of her character!)

Ah - interesting. You definitely get the sense that Lucie was designed to be a counterpoint to Rose - like her in some ways and unlike her in others. And of course, she also needed to be very unlike Charley.
Mikoto

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wshaffer wrote:
I personally happen to believe that Lucie fancies the Doctor like mad, but would probably sooner die than admit it. But that's still a very different thing from being in love with him.

Very different indeed. After all, I imagine it'd be very difficult not to fancy 8! (Despite the fact that she complains about his hair, dress sense, and the fact that he apparently looks about her dad's age. Laughing )

One for:
~ 'Two hearts'
~ 'Thirteen lives'
~ A clock
~ 90s-grade CG

Two for:
~ Beryllium/atomic clock
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikoto wrote:

I really enjoy the banter between Lucie and the Doctor and am glad that a second series with these characters has been made. And I'm especially happy that my 'Dead London' CD finally arrived today. Very Happy

Estelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Big Finish Eighth Doctor Audios All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: