The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Otherworld (Y Mabinogi)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Otherworld (Y Mabinogi) Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this belongs under television or films - or voiceovers! Anyway, I'll put it here under television, because it seemed like a made-for-TV movie.

Otherworld (Y Mabinogi), 2003, in English and Welsh.

This is a cartoon and live-action retelling of several tales from the Mabinogion, which is a very old collection of Welsh myths and legends. Paul does the voice of King Matholwch, king of Ireland, who ends up fighting with King Bendigeidfran of Wales, voiced by Ioan Gruffudd!

I have to confess, it was really weird and kind of funny to hear Paul's voice in there! Maybe it's just because his voice is so distinctively PAUL to me. I can't explain why it was odd. It was lovely, of course, to hear his voice! (Until his character turned MUTE, thanks a lot! What fun is that??) Very Happy I guess it's because, other than Ioan Gruffudd, I didn't know any of the other voices (and it took me a minute to pick out Ioan's), so it was like Paul speaking among a bunch of random people. Like blah blah blah PAUL! blah blah blah PAUL! blah PAUL! blah blah PAUL!

Anyway, I love those ancient tales, and I've read some of the Mabinogion (but not all of it), so I enjoyed it more or less. But it was just kind of weird all around. I think the tales have the potential to be a great live-action movie. The Mabinogion was one of Tolkein's inspirations in inventing his middle earth mythology! But as a cartoon, it was just odd. Not very good animation; and also, cartoons can trivialize things and make them look silly. Cartoon magic for Cinderella works ok, but cartoon magic monsters - or naked cartoon people having sex! It's just weird! It seemed like it couldn't decide if it was a kids' movie or an educational movie for high-schoolers and tired people in museums who need to sit down for a minute.

Sex, nudity, painful childbirth, living talking severed heads, a massacre of horses (poor horses!), throwing little children into the fire, massive bloody battles... Just an ordinary day in mythical ancient Wales, but weird stuff for cartoons!
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of this one, Grace. But wherever did you find it?

Estelle
Grace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got it from Gaby, who I think got it from B? (I can't remember B's full name). And she recorded it off of TV a few months ago.

(Do you know the B I mean? She loves Sam West... if that narrows it down at all! And maybe lives in Chichester?)
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:
I've heard of this one, Grace. But wherever did you find it?

It was one of the things I asked you if you wanted when we were in LA. Interested? I can send it in the next package.

Photoshop resources
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grace wrote:
I think I got it from Gaby, who I think got it from B? (I can't remember B's full name). And she recorded it off of TV a few months ago.

(Do you know the B I mean? She loves Sam West... if that narrows it down at all! And maybe lives in Chichester?)

Yes, I know the adventuresome Burrito (Sarah) who's in Australia at the moment. She attended the Portsmouth Hornblower con for a day, and then Gaby and I ran into her and her mom at the stagedoor after a performance of Otherwise Engaged. Here's a piccy of her and Anthony Head:

Estelle
Grace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes! I could picture her in my mind, from photos, and I remembered she was in Australia now, and remembered lots of her stories, but just couldn't remember her name(s)! Thanks for that. Cool
Ivarelle

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is pretty old, but hopefully somebody will notice? I wanted to know if there's any possible way I could get my hands on a copy of "Otherworld"--it doesn't seem to have been released in a way that I can buy it, but are there any tapes of it kicking around? Thanks to anyone who can help!
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivarelle wrote:
I know this thread is pretty old, but hopefully somebody will notice? I wanted to know if there's any possible way I could get my hands on a copy of "Otherworld"--it doesn't seem to have been released in a way that I can buy it, but are there any tapes of it kicking around? Thanks to anyone who can help!

Hiya! Shipoftheline sent me a DVD copy a while back, I think. I'll look for it. If I find it, I'd be happy to dub it for you.

Estelle
Ivarelle

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emay wrote:

Hiya! Shipoftheline sent me a DVD copy a while back, I think. I'll look for it. If I find it, I'd be happy to dub it for you.

Thank you, that would be fantastic!
Mikoto

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh!

I've been curious about this ever since I heard about it, because I'm actually a big fan of the Mabinogion.

... that sounded a lot weirder than I thought it would, but it's true.

I'd be v. curious to see how they adapt it. And yeah, it helps that Paul's in it. Very Happy

One for:
~ 'Two hearts'
~ 'Thirteen lives'
~ A clock
~ 90s-grade CG
~ Reference to Puccini/Madame Butterfly

Two for:
~ Gratuitous Doctor Who continuity
~ Overtly Messianic imagery
~ Beryllium/atomic clock
Ivarelle

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikoto wrote:

I've been curious about this ever since I heard about it, because I'm actually a big fan of the Mabinogion.

...And yeah, it helps that Paul's in it. Very Happy

Seconded on both counts! There are some very interesting previews here, the plots of the stories seem to be hilariously close to the source material.
Mikoto

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, having seen this trailer, I need this in my life.

Ivarelle wrote:
the plots of the stories seem to be hilariously close to the source material.

You are so very right!

The animation feels a little odd for some reason. Not bad, but a little 'off' somehow ... but after seen the direct-to-DVD Dragonlance travesty (my gentleman friend would slay me for even acknowledging its existence), I am much more forgiving of animation quality. Shocked

One for:
~ 'Two hearts'
~ 'Thirteen lives'
~ A clock
~ 90s-grade CG
~ Reference to Puccini/Madame Butterfly

Two for:
~ Gratuitous Doctor Who continuity
~ Overtly Messianic imagery
~ Beryllium/atomic clock
Meagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Otherworld DVD???? Reply with quote

So I've been hunting down a DVD or VHS copy of "Otherworld" for my Middle Welsh class for a few weeks now and seem to be coming up empty handed. Does anybody know where I can get a copy Question
shipoftheline

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM me if you are still interested Meagan.

Photoshop resources
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Television All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: