The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paul paintings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msandusky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Paul paintings Reply with quote

God bless Corel Painter and the Wacom tablet. What used to take severals days with traditional paint on canvas, I can do in a couple of hours. I'm still getting used to working with it, so I practice on Paul before I do any real portraits.

[img]
[/img]
Teri

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Michele, these turned out beautifully! I really like the Mr. Bush one . :)That would be a really neat thing to get autographed.
What are a Corel Painter and a Wacom tablet, btw? Surprised
msandusky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painter is a software program that allows artists to draw and paint in a realistic way, like pen/ink and oil painting, on the computer instead of on paper or canvas. The real advantages are 1) the painting or drawing is digital already (no scanning!) and can be printed out either on photo paper or even a real canvas, and 2) THE UNDO COMMAND--you make a mistake, you just undo instead of start over. I make a lot of mistakes because I paint very quickly and tend to make a lot of errant strokes that I regret later.

A Wacom tablet in a digital "sketchpad" that you plug into the computer and use a Wacom pen/brush to make your painting. You can do Painter without a Wacom, but you have much less control and no pressure sensitivity. I can vary the thickness or thinness and boldness of a stroke with how hard I press. You can teach to tablet to recognize your painting or drawing style. I'm still working on that, my painting is more expressionistic while my pen & ink is more...violent I guess is the best word.

Did I explain it well enough? I forget that other people aren't all graphic designers or fine artists for a living. My assistant at work and I sit around geeking out over the new software and tools while the others at the office think we're speaking a different language.
emay
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are beautiful, Michele!!

Estelle
Teri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fine arts degree with a graphic design emphasis, matter of fact-- I should know that! LOL Surprised I was in school in the seventies, however, before *anything* was done digitally, just missed it. :/ I worked for a few years, then started having kids, yada yada... and the rest was literally history.

So are the brush strokes made using a mouse? Or can you actually 'draw' on the screen with a stylus on a touch pad or something?
Frigate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Michelle - those are GORGEOUS! Definitely get those autographed! And I do think Mr. Bush would be right pleased! Very Happy
Tony: "Neither does 'Tony'."

Navy NCIS Naval Criminal Investigative Service 2003
msandusky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do it with mouse, but you have to constantly change brush sizes to get a varying width of stroke and there's no pressure sensitivity with the house, nor utilization of natural hand movements. The Wacom tablet acts like a canvas or sketchpad. You use the electronic stylus (which is shaped like a ballpoint pen), on the tablet (which is pressure sensitive) but you watch the screen to see your strokes. So, you look at the computer screen, not the pad (which is blank). It takes some getting use to. But I can get the kind of style that I have when I paint on real canvas, just a lot quicker and with the ability to undo mistakes. I can also add layers so I don't muddy up the original while trying to get a look I want.

There is a large "tablet" which is your computer screen and you use the stylus on your screen. It's a little more natural for painters. However, those screens run about $2,800...a little too rich for my blood. The Wacom tablet I have cost about $650. Maybe, someday, if I hit the lottery, I can afford to have all of the electronic do-dads I'd like.
Teri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh good lord that sounds fun. I've only used Paint to do anything remotely artistic on my PC (I refuse to upgrade to anything more involved, because I'd *never* be off the thing! Surprised ), but it's impossible to do anything with any precision with a mouse-- which frustrates me into going at it less often, which is a good thing. Laughing Doing it for a living, though, is a whole nuvvah thing... I'm very envious, but in a good way. Wink
msandusky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what I do is straight print graphic design (brochures, ads, magazines, catalogs, etc.) but every so often, I have to illustrate something. Plus, I started out as a fine artist, so digital painting is a hobby. I don't really try to make money with it because it will seem like work, lol. I want it to be enjoyable.
Teri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, I'm entirely with you there. I think part of the reason I never went back was that I went and majored in a hobby I enjoyed, but once it became 'work', I didn't want to do it anymore. Confused So yeah, what you're doing sounds like a good balance. Smile We'll have to 'talk' at CT. Wink
Seventh Doctor Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michele these are fabulous. Very Happy

"Nonsense time for a quick adventure then back for tea"
msandusky

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm going to start work on another one soon, as soon as I get time. They just let a marketing person go at work and I have a feeling I'm about to get bombarded with projects I didn't know about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> Fine Art All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: