The McGann Library Forum Index The McGann Library
A place to celebrate the works of British actor Paul McGann

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UK Trippin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> The Bulletin Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tegan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: UK Trippin Reply with quote

So I may as well ask on here as well - must see spots in the UK?

I have a rough itinery organised and yes its 6 months ahead but I don't want to be stung for cost at the last minute

So far its looking like 3-4 nights in London, then 4 nights Cardiff, then Manchester 2 nights , Liverpool 1 night, York 2 nights, possible meeting Scottish relatives 2 nights , Edinburgh 3 nights, maybe Inverness 2 nights then back down to Cambridge to stay with a friend , Time Quest 2 at Theobalds park, London 2 nights then home *phew*

Whilst in Cardiff I would like to visit Swansea, Bristol or both seeing as they are not too far away and in Manchester or Liverpool I'd love to see a game of football but not sure of cost. ticket availability and what games might be scheduled for when I'm there

Thoughts wanted! I have seen some of these spots before but want to go back for more of a look or just to see them differently in winter
Mikoto

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, first? Go get dinner at Wagamama. Yes, I'm telling you to go to a Japanese noodle bowl chain in London, but you need to trust me on this. It's absolutely amazing, and it's spoiled me for all my fave Japanese places over here.

Get tea at the Orangery if you can swing it. By which I mean the full meal. It is tasty.

While you're in York, do hit the York Castle Museum. They have a full Victorian street down in the basement with store fronts and everything. It's wild.

I'd say visit the Doctor Who exhibit in Manchester, but that was while it was on tour -- if you want to catch it, I believe it's back in Cardiff now. (Protip: it's all NuWho as far as I know, which isn't a bad thing, just know in advance.)

There's other stuff around, but my friends took me way out of the way to see some stuff, like filming locations, and I wasn't doing nearly as much location-hopping as you are.

Oh I forgot! In Manchester there's a restaurant called Frankie and Benny's that I was told is 'America's Favourite Restaurant.' I made my friends take me since I'd never heard of it and I'm pretty sure it's a completely British invention -- basically it is to New York Italian what Olive Garden is to ... erm ... Italian. The food's fine, but I went more as a novelty and to tell my friends what was 'authentic American' and what wasn't.

Best part? There was a TGIFriday's right across the street. Double-classy. Very Happy

One for:
~ 'Two hearts'
~ 'Thirteen lives'
~ A clock
~ 90s-grade CG
~ Reference to Puccini/Madame Butterfly

Two for:
~ Gratuitous Doctor Who continuity
~ Overtly Messianic imagery
~ Beryllium/atomic clock
Tegan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info - I did do the Manchester Who thing in 2007 so got that sorted, but I'll check out the restaraunts that you've mentioned

I've also emailed some people about an unnofficial Who Location tour in Cardiff so i can see a bit more of it - love that city though its Whotastic Very Happy

You'll also be impressed that I did visit Wagamama in London when I was there last - one of the waiters liked my accent Razz

Because I'll be by myself I'm pretty much going to keep to the cities - I was going to try and see some Withnail stuff but I don't think it will be easy when I don't drive !

Anything else you want to add feel free. Its good to have some ideas in my head once the bookings are done - did I mention I want to see theatre in London? *Looks at favourite actors in a please pretty please do theatre while I'm there*
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, but Sam and I have been talking about doing the Withnail tour for some time. Maybe, if dates work out, we could meet up and do it together? I could pick you up then we could go in my car. Very Happy
Tegan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that would be awesome! I would be in Manchester around the weekend of 26-28 Feb if that helps with your planning, if you decided to go around then
Mikoto

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Wagamama is a must-eat over there. I have to go when I go back and drag my gentleman friend along.

Now's the time to start picking shows to see, too.

One for:
~ 'Two hearts'
~ 'Thirteen lives'
~ A clock
~ 90s-grade CG
~ Reference to Puccini/Madame Butterfly

Two for:
~ Gratuitous Doctor Who continuity
~ Overtly Messianic imagery
~ Beryllium/atomic clock
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would be in Manchester around the weekend of 26-28 Feb if that helps with your planning, if you decided to go around then

Should be do-able - would be great to meet up then, and hopefully in March too!
Tegan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Very Happy
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
Just a thought, but Sam and I have been talking about doing the Withnail tour for some time. Maybe, if dates work out, we could meet up and do it together? I could pick you up then we could go in my car. Very Happy

What a fabulous idea! Very Happy

... I know where to locate the famous phone box so thats a start Cool
Tegan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Michelle wrote:

What a fabulous idea! Very Happy

... I know where to locate the famous phone box so thats a start Cool

Well I'm glad you know cause I wouldn't have a clue:P
I'm thinking of changing the weekend to the first one in March so I can visit the Victoria Baths on the Sunday (7th) in Manchester ( Life On Mars location ). Not holding anyone to a concrete date but would this stuff you around or is it still doable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The McGann Library Forum Index -> The Bulletin Board All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: